Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strikes June 24

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Strikes June 24

The 6 major unions have announced strikes for June 24, the second and latest announced action in response to the French government's attempt to address to retirement funding issues.

In the past, strikes like this have caused problems for people using public transport in Paris, to get to the airports and with air operations too.

Bon Courage!
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:31 pm

Does anyone know if there will be any 'Operations Escargot' on the motorways? (Long slow moving queues of lorries in all lanes .... YUK!!)
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie-sis is arriving cdg the morning of the 24th and is planning on taking the rer into paris to match up with myself and goalie-parents (we arrive on the 22nd) and i take it that "the latest strike" will "mess her up". any thoughts on alternatives? a/f bus? taxi?

we are staying in the 3rd so any help on anything that will get her close would be appreciated.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
goalie-sis is arriving cdg the morning of the 24th and is planning on taking the rer into paris to match up with myself and goalie-parents (we arrive on the 22nd) and i take it that "the latest strike" will "mess her up". any thoughts on alternatives? a/f bus? taxi?

we are staying in the 3rd so any help on anything that will get her close would be appreciated.
It could be really hard to get into the city (that's assuming that her flight even gets to Paris). You might be better off getting her a reservation now at an airport hotel, just to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:08 am

The predictions so far are that the RER B will be very disrupted, meaning fewer trains and that the trains to/from CDG will only go as far as the Gare du Nord (you'd have to change trains to continue south).

The Air France bus could be an option, getting a taxi after to the 3rd. There is currently no indication on their site that they expect problems.

The Roissybus could be another option, since bus service is supposed to be only lightly affected.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Louie_LI
The predictions so far are that the RER B will be very disrupted, meaning fewer trains and that the trains to/from CDG will only go as far as the Gare du Nord (you'd have to change trains to continue south).

The Air France bus could be an option, getting a taxi after to the 3rd. There is currently no indication on their site that they expect problems.

The Roissybus could be another option, since bus service is supposed to be only lightly affected.
The RATP website is warning of severe disruptions on the RER B line, which is the one that goes from CDG to the city. I would not rely on the Roissybus, as that is tied to the same RATP system that the strike is targeting.

I have no specific expertise here but what I would do is this:

Upon arrival, I would look at the cab situation, and if one is available, take it. There will likely be a lot of traffic (since a lot of folks will be driving to the city) but in a situation like this, I'd pay up and get where I'm going. A cab would also get you to the 3rd arr., while an AF bus will not.

If cabs are not available, I'd go for the AF bus. I would anticipate that there will be virtually no reliable buses or metro in the city, since even if some lines are running well, you won't know which ones. If you want to get an AF bus to the nearest stop to the 3rd to walk fron there, I think that would be the AF bus to Invalides, which will still leave a long hike to the 3rd. Or you could go to the Arc, where getting a cab might be easier. Remember, when transit strikes hit head-on, cabs are tough to find too.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:27 am

When I posted, the RAPT hadn't put up any service estimates yet. It does look like the RER B is certainly not an option.

I would't rule out the RoissyBus, as busses are supposed to be at 80% overall. That said, I'd just get a taxi as it doesn't seem that they are striking in sympathy. Traffic may not be as bad as all that, depending on what time Goalie's sister gets out of the airport. In some of the baggage claim areas, there are screen showing the traffic situation on the highway into the city.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Plat; Hilton; SkyMiles

You might think about getting her limo service. We have a limo laid on for our upcoming trip and the fare to the apartment near the Louvre is only 100 Euro for 5 of us. Twice what I hear it might run for a taxi, but you know it will be available for her.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:00 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
It could be really hard to get into the city (that's assuming that her flight even gets to Paris). You might be better off getting her a reservation now at an airport hotel, just to be on the safe side.
Originally Posted by Louie_LI

thanks to both of you ^

goalie-sis' flight (co54 ewr-cdg) is en-route and landing in about 20 minutes. rer-b is phuglied so goalie-dad took the roissybus from opera to meet her and will take it back to paris. metro is running albeit at a "reduced schedule"-the #3 is at 80% and only 6 blocks from where we are staying so goalie-dad took that to opera and if all goes well, should be back about 90 mintues-ish after arrival (assuming the baggage handlers are not on strike as goalie-sis checked her bags-told her not to check bags but that's goalie-sis..... )
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Welcome to France!

I hope she arrived safely and you all have a great time in Paris!

What metro stop are you near?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.