Reload this Page >

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:34 am

I was doing double-red but went back to whole blood. Less of a hassle, still very beneficial.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
forgot to include this from july, 11.

pint: 68
bp: 118/70
pulse: 70
blood: red
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I've never donated. I have no good excuse. There's even a drive that takes place here at work. I think I just chicken out/find myself too busy whenever it happens.

The next drive here is mid-November. Would someone please bump this thread in the mid-October time frame? I really want to donate, but I think I just need the kick in the pants that a little peer pressure will provide. (I may honestly be too busy mid-November to do it this time around, but a bump will motivate me to make my best effort at finally doing it.)
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by iapetus
The next drive here is mid-November. Would someone please bump this thread in the mid-October time frame? I really want to donate, but I think I just need the kick in the pants that a little peer pressure will provide. (I may honestly be too busy mid-November to do it this time around, but a bump will motivate me to make my best effort at finally doing it.)
You don't need to wait for a drive - just check the web site of your local red cross or your local blood center for appointment times.

Also, if you travel a lot internationally, it's worth calling ahead to find out if you've been anywhere which will lead to a deferral - after spending a week in the Philippines this spring, I'm deferred til next Spring.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by nkedel
You don't need to wait for a drive - just check the web site of your local red cross or your local blood center for appointment times.
I know, I know. But it is much more convenient for me when they come here.

Originally Posted by nkedel
Also, if you travel a lot internationally, it's worth calling ahead to find out if you've been anywhere which will lead to a deferral - after spending a week in the Philippines this spring, I'm deferred til next Spring.
If I were traveling internationally, it would be an issue. But my travel has dried up these days. Still, thanks for the tip. ^
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by iapetus
I know, I know. But it is much more convenient for me when they come here.
Certainly. That's what got me donating again after a dry spell of 7 years

If I were traveling internationally, it would be an issue. But my travel has dried up these days. Still, thanks for the tip. ^[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that! My usual joke is that I "work to support a travel habit" and in a bad economy, it's the electronic toys that have been inclined to dry up rather than the travel.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:14 pm

About the platelets. A sign on the wall at the bloodbank says they want those from type AB. Whole blood is too valuable from type O to be taking platelets. Or maybe there's just not a demand from platelets from that type. I dunno. Maybe I'll ask about that sign next month on my next visit.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
This thread made me pull out my donor card (21 donations) to see when the last one was - eek! - almost two years ago. Guess I will make an appointment with the blood center. Used to be 'on call' (type O+) but they called so often I asked to be removed from the call list. Unfortunately, I get deferred for low iron about 50% of the time.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by tjl
A friend who has hemochromatosis (the condition where excess iron is absorbed and accumulates in the body) says that, once diagnosed, he cannot donate blood; he has to have blood removed periodically (the procedure is the same as blood donation), but the blood cannot be used for transfusions (not sure about research or other use). Presumably, they only want "altruistic" donors, rather than those who have other motivations to donate blood, since the latter people may lie on the questionnaire about disqualifying conditions (travel to malarial areas, etc.).
That is unfortunate since even the National Institutes of Health say blood from hemochromatosis patients is perfectly safe:
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/sep2001/nhlbi-25.htm

Blood donors with hemochromatosis, a disorder in which iron accumulates in organs and body tissues, do not pose a greater risk to blood safety than other donors, according to the results of a study funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and published in the September 26 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Hemochromatosis patients are treated with periodic phlebotomies or "blood letting" to remove excess iron from their body. Because these patients benefit medically and financially by giving blood (they don't have to pay for phlebotomy), there has been concern that they might donate despite having infectious disease risk factors and that their blood might be less safe. As a result, FDA regulations have not promoted blood donation from hemochromatosis patients.

"Hemochromatosis patients in this study had no more risk of transmitting viral infections than did other donors. This finding should help guide future decisions on blood donations by these patients. If people with hemochromatosis qualify as donors then that could potentially have a significant impact on the national blood supply," said NHLBI Director Dr. Claude Lenfant.

Due to differences in physiology and eating habits, men are much less likely than women to have low iron, but are much more likely than women to have iron overload.
For pre-menopausal women, yes, the risk of accumulating iron is lower ... for post-menopausal women the risk is the same.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:10 am

Wow, with the chronic shortage, how could they possibly reject safe blood? I hope nobody dies after the blood is discarded. That'd be sort of tragic.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
donating as we speak

pint# 69
pulse: 68
bp: 105/69
blood: red
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:13 pm

Your blood type is: O+
Date: 08/24/2010
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 168
Year to Date:
Credits: 4
Gallons: 4/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date:
Donations: 25
Gallons: 3 & 1/8 th(s)
Eligibility:
Whole Blood: 10/19/2010
Double Red Cells: 10/19/2010
Platelets: NOW
View additional eligibility
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:37 am

Your blood type is: O+
Last Donation: Date: 10/27/2010
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 206
Year to Date:
Credits: 5
Gallons: 5/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date:
Donations: 26
Gallons: 3 & 2/8 th(s)
Eligibility:
Whole Blood: 12/22/2010
Double Red Cells:12/22/2010
Platelets: NOW
Plasma Pheresis: 11/24/2010
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:25 am

They called with my "every two month reminder" on Friday and my appointment is set for this coming Thursday. Will post my numbers while donating.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Dropped in to a donation site this morning. 1 pint of A- dropped off.

Thanks for the bump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.