Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by goalie
First time in 40 years of donating that I was denied . Low iron and they attempted 3 times but it was a no-go. Rescheduled for Thursday morning and hopefully the steak I have for supper on Wednesday night helps
I believe they raised the hemoglobin minimum for males back in May of this year. (Females still have to hit 12.5, but males have to hit 13 g/dL now.)

Good luck on Thursday...crossing my fingers for you!

(Chatting with my local blood center, it seems like big jumps in the # of deferments have really taken a toll on the collections this summer. Combination of dozens of countries - and now US counties - on the Zika deferment list, along with the increased hemoglobin target for males.)
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by JY1024
(Chatting with my local blood center, it seems like big jumps in the # of deferments have really taken a toll on the collections this summer. Combination of dozens of countries - and now US counties - on the Zika deferment list, along with the increased hemoglobin target for males.)
...and the reduced hours in which the blood centers seem to be open...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I believe they raised the hemoglobin minimum for males back in May of this year. (Females still have to hit 12.5, but males have to hit 13 g/dL now.)

Good luck on Thursday...crossing my fingers for you!

I knew about the increase in the hemoglobin minimum for males as my last donation was in June where I was well above the limit but this time, I wasn't even close
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
...and the reduced hours in which the blood centers seem to be open...
Ah yes, my center cut back its Friday afternoon/evening hours.

I knew about the increase in the hemoglobin minimum for males as my last donation was in June where I was well above the limit but this time, I wasn't even close
Well, hope all goes well on Thursday! I'll eat some extra leafy greens and beef in solidarity.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I wasn't aware of a change in the requirement, but my blood bank changed to a new method that doesn't involve pricking a finger, it just attaches to your thumb, like this one: http://www.orsense.com/files/files/N...re-website.pdf

It read about 1 1/2 points higher than any reading I've had in years, and on top of that I was diagnosed as being anemic less than a month afterwards, so it seems wildly optimistic. That should help to greatly reduce the number of people they have to turn away.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by djk7
I wasn't aware of a change in the requirement, but my blood bank changed to a new method that doesn't involve pricking a finger, it just attaches to your thumb, like this one: http://www.orsense.com/files/files/N...re-website.pdf

It read about 1 1/2 points higher than any reading I've had in years, and on top of that I was diagnosed as being anemic less than a month afterwards, so it seems wildly optimistic. That should help to greatly reduce the number of people they have to turn away.
Cool beans ^ and maybe it will make its way to SF
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Low Iron Detection Reading Detected My Anemia

Earlier this year I was rejected because my iron level didn't meet the minimum. I ended up being diagnosed with anemia. After multiple visits with a hematologist and gastroenterologist (and lots of expensive tests), they couldn't find a cause.

I am now back in low-normal range so they will just monitor and I can start donating again.

My hematologist encouraged me to donate as frequently as I can as he's been looking at studies showing that regular blood donations reduces the risk of heart attacks in males fairly significantly.

I'm going Saturday.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by djk7

Ooh - very interesting. And if you don't mind me asking...is this a Red Cross blood center or a private or hospital donation center?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:55 am

Ooh - very interesting. And if you don't mind me asking...is this a Red Cross blood center or a private or hospital donation center?
The local blood bank is called OneBlood (oneblood.org), after recent mergers I think they are the main blood bank in Florida. The Red Cross doesn't collect blood here.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:20 pm

Talking Success!

Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 98
BP: 124/77
Pulse: 66
Blood Type: Red
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:55 pm

Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 98
BP: 124/77
Pulse: 66
Blood Type: Red
Huzzah! :-: Congrats! ^
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:36 pm

Huzzah! :-: Congrats! ^
and the weird thing is that when they did the hemoglobin test, it was done first from my left middle finger and read 12.5 but when they tried again on my right middle finger, it read 13.0 where I passed
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:01 pm

and the weird thing is that when they did the hemoglobin test, it was done first from my left middle finger and read 12.5 but when they tried again on my right middle finger, it read 13.0 where I passed
Are you right-handed? Does that middle finger get more exercise flipping the bird?

I'm trying to max out my 24 times I can give platelets per year, but I'm a little behind schedule based on where we are in the year. Looks like a lot more needles are in my future.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:48 am

I've had a similar situation where I failed on the first attempt and they tried the other hand and I passed. I have my doubts about whether there was really that much difference between hands or if their measuring equipment had a lack of precision. That was with the old finger prick method, I have even less confidence in the clamp on system.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:02 am

Are you right-handed? Does that middle finger get more exercise flipping the bird? ...
Yes I am right handed and I'm originally from Boston* where as all good drivahs know, the middle fingah is the state bird

*actually Newton but close enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.