Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
1-Year Hiatus After Kruger National Park Visit?

Hi,

Just donated another pint on 12/29.

I'm heading to South Africa this spring and was told that Kruger National Park is on the list that will prevent me from donating for a year, That means one more pint before I leave and then a hiatus.

Bummed about the waiting period, Is it just American Red Cross that has that restriction or is that pretty universal, even though I will be taking the recommended anti-malarials?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Hi,

Just donated another pint on 12/29.

I'm heading to South Africa this spring and was told that Kruger National Park is on the list that will prevent me from donating for a year, That means one more pint before I leave and then a hiatus.

Bummed about the waiting period, Is it just American Red Cross that has that restriction or is that pretty universal, even though I will be taking the recommended anti-malarials?
It’s pretty common to restrict those who have been exposed to mosquitoes carrying the Plasmodium malaria parasites, particularly the P. falciparum variety, from donating blood for a period of time. It’s not the antimalarials, it’s the risk of transmitting the blood borne malaria parasite - which can essentially have a dormant stage and be asymptomatic for periods of time. And very few donation centers have the ability to screen for plasmodia.

Plasmodium life cycle (US CDC)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:55 am

I'm not allowed to donate, so many thanks to those of you who do. Wish I could join you. Keep up the good work!
JDiver, squeakr and royng like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Blood Drive this Week in NYC

hi folks - if anyone has time this week, my organization is hosting a blood drive this week at Grand Central... stop on by!

JDiver, squeakr and royng like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:55 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Nice gift for my 31st whole blood donation

Souvenir for blood donor in Hong Kong (circa 2018 May)
JDiver and Spiff like this.

Last edited by royng; May 16, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Happy new year everyone!

Wish you all stay healthy enough to donate blood in 2019!
I ended 2018 by going to blood centre on new year's eve.
(In Hong Kong to encourage donation during festive season, travel scale is given out to donors.)

JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Still no change here in HK on accepting blood from anyone who lived in the UK for any length of time though, so, sadly, I still can't donate. I wonder if any other countries have that restriction?

Last edited by christep; Dec 31, 2018 at 11:57 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by christep
Still no change here in HK on accepting blood from anyone who lived in the UK for any length of time though...
(emphasis mine)

Strictly speaking not "any length of time"...but I agree the guidelines do exclude a lot of people.

Official criteria in Hong Kong say-

Blood donors (including Rhesus positive, Rhesus negative and rare blood type donors) will be permanently deferred for blood donation if:

(I) Between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996
  • They have spent a total of three or more months in the UK.
  • They have worked or lived for a total of six or more months at US Military bases in Europe.
(II) Between 1 January 1980 and the present
  • They have spent a total of five or more years in Europe.
  • They have received blood transfusion in the UK or France.
  • They have received bovine insulin injection.
(III) They have received pituitary derived human growth hormone or human gonadotrophin, organ or tissue transplant.
(IV) Any of your blood relatives have been diagnosed of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD).

(emphasis mine)
(Ref: http://www5.ha.org.hk/rcbts/UPFILE/B...103446136.pdf]
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:05 am
Suspended

OK, yes, I know that. But these are totally arbitrary numbers (3 months, 5 years). Data (via Wikipedia) suggests that 1 in 2,000 people in the UK may be carriers of something that might in very rare cases cause a problem.

I'm O- which means my blood could be used for anyone.

If I were in a situation where I needed blood and I was told that there's a 1 in 2000 chance that I might become a carrier of something which in turn has a 1 in 200 chance of giving me vCJD (rough numbers, based on 170 cases ever in the UK), or I die, then surely this isn't an issue? It's a one in 400,000 risk! I take that much risk crossing the road every year.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:37 am

OK, yes, I know that. But these are totally arbitrary numbers (3 months, 5 years).....
I'm not educated in blood transfusion science at all...WHO guidelines (P.86) (at https://www.who.int/bloodsafety/publ...uitability/en/) quote that

To date, many countries have addressed this risk by excluding blood donors with a history of travel or residence in the UK and parts of Europe, for defined cumulative exposure periods. The United States Food and Drug Administration currently requires deferral of individuals who have spent 3 months or more cumulatively in the UK between 1980 and the end of 1996, when effective measures were implemented to prevent oral transmission, or who have spent 5 years or more cumulatively in Europe between 1980 and the present. In the UK, France and Ireland, recipients of blood transfusion (including fractionated blood products) since 1980 are now permanently deferred. Other countries defer donors who have received blood transfusions in the UK or France since 1980.

and WHO recommends that
The decision to defer blood donors with a history of travel or residence for defined cumulative exposure periods in specified countries or areas, as a measure to reduce the risk of transmitting vCJD by blood transfusion, should be based on the findings of the risk assessment and risk-benefit analysis and the impact on the blood supply
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
OK, yes, I know that. But these are totally arbitrary numbers (3 months, 5 years). Data (via Wikipedia) suggests that 1 in 2,000 people in the UK may be carriers of something that might in very rare cases cause a problem.

I'm O- which means my blood could be used for anyone.

If I were in a situation where I needed blood and I was told that there's a 1 in 2000 chance that I might become a carrier of something which in turn has a 1 in 200 chance of giving me vCJD (rough numbers, based on 170 cases ever in the UK), or I die, then surely this isn't an issue? It's a one in 400,000 risk! I take that much risk crossing the road every year.
The decision to cross or not to cross is yours alone. You can take whatever risk level you choose.
Entirely different if it was your responsibility to assure that others crossed the road safely.
royng likes this.

Last edited by arcticflier; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mostly interpersonal discussion regarding risk management, the statistical data regarding vCJD etc. is dilatory to the topic. These are personal decisions, best discussed elsewhere or via PM. When it extends to overly personalized comments about other members, it’s in violation of the Rules.

Co-Moderator

Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Thank you, everyone, who gives blood. I, my mom and my late brother all had transfusions and we thank you.

Unfortunately, I'm restricted due to my recent travels to India, but if anyone here is from BOS, here is the link to both the Dana Farber/BWI and MGH donation locations:

MGH Blood Donor site
The Farber Blood Bank
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stephbaker
Well-said! I cannot agree less. It seems like a really good idea that we should incorporate
I suspect that, in fact, you could not agree more.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Freq status requalified

Requalification requirement:
male: 3 donations in one year
female: two donations per year

2018-19 badge for Hong Kong frequent donor
JDiver and Spiff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.