Wiki Posts
Search

My niece has leukemia (update: Aveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma) and just need to vent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Thank you all for your kind words.

It's been a little over a week since she passed away and it's still kind of surreal. I remember her telling my wife and I the Thursday before she passed away that she didn't want to die and she wanted to go back to school.

Just to clear things up because I know the title of the thread says Leukemia. She didn't have leukemia it was the original diagnosis. She actually had Aveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma which is a rare cancer that affects the mussle tissue.
TWA884 and Parterre like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm so sorry for your loss. May the memory of her and your love for her live eternally.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
HWGeeks if any of us wanted to donate in her memory, is there a preferred option or charity, or does the family have medical bills towards which we could help?
Parterre likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
HWGeeks if any of us wanted to donate in her memory, is there a preferred option or charity, or does the family have medical bills towards which we could help?
If you'd like to donate in her name, you can donate to the non-profit she helped at and spent a lot of time at. She used to help kids with their homework and also was learning to play chess there. ReyesMora.org (it's in my signature as well). To be transparent it is a non-profit her aunt and I started last year. It's registered as a nonprofit in The Dominican Republic and in the State of NY (pending 503c approval from the IRS expected this month or early next month).
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:49 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I am so sorry.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l etoile
I am so sorry.
Thank you,

It's been a month and a few 5 days since she passed away and I have had a hard time sleeping. I am sleeping better than I did 2 weeks ago. But I have become an exhausted grumpy 42-year-old.

I have seen a lot of death, I witnessed a lot of things living in New York City and Puerto Rico, and now the Dominican Republic. Death hadn't phased me until now. I was the one who handled the funeral arrangements and had to pick her body up from the morgue. And just seeing her lifeless for the first time in the fridge at the morgue it's an image I have had a hard time getting out of my head.

Thankfully my wife has figured out how to get me to sleep. She puts on Master Chef or Forged with Fire and I end up falling asleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.