Wiki Posts
Search

My niece has leukemia (update: Aveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma) and just need to vent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
Has St. Jude turned her down, or is that still a possibility?
Still possible it's her parents right now that are the road block. The family is upset because a lot of them put in a lot of work to get things rolling.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:51 am
Original Poster

They removed the bandages from her eyes,, and she can see!!!!!!!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

A small update:

She is currently 2 days home then 2 days in the hospital for Chemo. She can see in both eyes, but she gets bad headaches. She's doing her best to stay active but because of the headaches and lower back pains she stays in bed. She hasn't needed a transfusion in a bit.

She is super depressed and has a lot of mood swings. She can be happy then sad with the snap of a finger. I currently shaved my head so she isn't the only bald one. She didn't like how I looked. It's kind of chilly with no hair.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Some bad news, while she is mostly home now rather than in the hospital, she has developed Nystagmus which is uncontrollable movements of the eyes. She's staying at my house in the DR (I am not there won't arrive until the 1st of august) but she's at my house because less people can visit and bother her there. Where she lived the neighbors would come by a lot and it was starting to stress her out, even though the neighbors meant well, it was becoming an issue for her.

She also has developed gallstones which they blame on the Chemo. According to my wife Shes in good spirits listing to shows on Netflix. She is eating more than what she use too, and she's not in much pain as before. Doctors really haven't said much and if they have her father hasn't relayed the message, He has kind of gone silent on the issue family is upset with him about that, but we can't really force him to say or do anything.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

It was movie night on Saturday, her brothers came over and they watched movies on Disney and Netflix for a few hours. She kinda looks cool with her sunglasses. Bright light bothers her so she wears the sun glasses pretty much 24/7.

SanDiego1K and Finkface like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:36 am
Original Poster

She had a round of Chemo which kept her in the hospital for a few days, she was released yesterday and was taking immediately to a river to relax and enjoy the water. I have a video but can't upload it as it's not an accepted file type. But she pretty much just sat in a chair eating some chips. Did upload a screenshot of the video.

Chemo seems to make her super nauseous, but she does have an appetite which is good. And she's always cold which is I assume is because of the anemia she has.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Haven't updated this post in a while because it became to emotional for me.

But with a heavy heart I would like to share that Yessy has passed away. She just celebrated a birthday on the 26th of September, and we were able to enjoy her smiles as nurses in the hospital sang her happy birthday.

Thank you everyone who kept her in their prayers.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by HWGeeks

But with a heavy heart I would like to share that Yessy has passed away. She just celebrated a birthday on the 26th of September, and we were able to enjoy her smiles as nurses in the hospital sang her happy birthday.

I am so, so sorry. I had been hoping for a miracle for her. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Heartbreaking. I am so so sorry. {{HWGeeks}}
Old Oct 8, 2023, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

My heart goes out to you and your family. May her memory be for a blessing.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm so sorry!
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Tonight was the first time I saw this thread. So sorry for your painful journey. Sending love to your entire family.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: ShebaMiles
I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss, HWGeeks.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
My sincerest condolences. I hope she left you with great memories.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold

I am so very sorry for your loss. She is lucky to have had you advocating for her. May her memory be a blessing to you in these difficult days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.