Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My niece has leukemia (update: Aveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma) and just need to vent

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2023, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Doctors called her in and did some blood work. Her platelet count is 600 when it should be 150,000 or more. She's bleeding heavily from her gums. Doctors ordered a platelet transfusion and a blood transfusion. Thankfully we found 4 men willing to donate. We just bought them Pica pollo (basically fried chicken and fried plantains). If you're ever in the DR i recommend you have some.
l etoile, SanDiego1K and Finkface like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

No news today aside that she did get her blood transfusion and platelet transfusions last night and today. Plan is for chemo tomorrow or Monday. Edited because I put Wednesday my minds shot
Old May 21, 2023, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Doctors told us her defenses are up but also said she has in their opinion a less than 20% survival rate. They also said that her case is so unique it’s the first to be reported in the country.
Old May 21, 2023, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Doctors told us her defenses are up but also said she has in their opinion a less than 20% survival rate. They also said that her case is so unique it’s the first to be reported in the country.
Are you still hoping to move her to a hospital in another country (U.S., Colombia)?
Old May 22, 2023, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you still hoping to move her to a hospital in another country (U.S., Colombia)?
To answer your question yes, but realistically I personally think it won't happen.

Since last night, she has had seizure after seizure after seizure. She's mostly in a state where she can't talk and when she is able to only says one or two words. She no longer wants to eat. The situation is beyond critical.

I so badly want to take a picture with her but don't want to because I don't want to remember her in the state she is in now.
Old May 22, 2023, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Thought would share pictures of her

II would say this was in late March early April she took a bunch of selfies in the youth center we have. She volunteered there helping.

Note sure of the date but this was I beleive 2 weeks in the hospital before diagnosis.

Also before diagnosis but after the above picture. She's sitting with my wife. I believe the two pictres or just 1 or 2 days aparta you can notice a drastic change in her face.

Not sure when this was taken but her arms now are full of bruises from where blood pools and she's half a lot thinner You an see the outline of her bones and really don't want to take pictures of her now. She'd hate them as well.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Her today

Her dad just sent us this picture he took. She's unrecognizable.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Today is bad news update day. She was just intubated and taken to isolation. she caught a virus which has spread to her brain. Which is the cause of her seizures and also high temperature.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm so sorry.
HWGeeks likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
So very sad. I’m sorry.
HWGeeks likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

They have placed her into an medically induced coma and now need more blood and platelets because when they intubated her they caused more bleeding,. I explained all this to my doctor friend and shes livid.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:34 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Please accept my thoughts and prayers, HWGeeks.
Old May 23, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am so, so sorry. I donated to the GoFundMe already but will do so again. My thoughts are with you.
SanDiego1K and HWGeeks like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

THank you finkface.

I didn't post yesterday becuase it was just bad news after bad news after bad news.
They intubated her and caused more bleeding and yestrday it was really touch and go for the most part. Doctors were upset at the doctor who intubated her but that is a non issue now.

Her blood platelets and himoglobin were up today, which is really good news. But they still have her in a medically induced coma. We are really hopeful after todays news.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday I took her two younger brothers to a trampoline place, and skating rink so they could go out and do something they have been pretty much locked in doors and depressed. So I took them out to have a little fun.

My niece continues to be in a coma, after the good news of her platelets and hemoglobin rising, she needed another transfusión of both blood and platelets. The family can't see her, Shes in isolation no word if the viral infection has improved or not, doctors haven't said much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.