Old May 14, 2023, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
I am heading to the airport now.
SanDiego1K and wrp96 like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:23 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Any word from the congressman who is helping?
Would your niece be able to fly?

If I can help with a donation for a ticket to get her and her parents to treatment here, please PM me the info.

This is all terribly heartbreaking. Safe travels and let her know we are rooting for her and hoping to see her in treatment in the US.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l etoile
Any word from the congressman who is helping?
Would your niece be able to fly?

If I can help with a donation for a ticket to get her and her parents to treatment here, please PM me the info.

This is all terribly heartbreaking. Safe travels and let her know we are rooting for her and hoping to see her in treatment in the US.
Thank you for the words of encouragement! The congressmen that's helping right now I don't want to give his name they asked that we not. But he is from NY.

They are also considering seeing if we can take her to Colombia which has a good cancer hospital for children. Any donation for that would be a great help and I will PM you and thank you for wanting to help. Family has been in communication with them and would also be an easier flight for her. No VISA required.

Right now, they finally have given the family a game plan and have been 100% honest. The doctors have admitted and have been candid yesterday and today. They do not know how to treat the cancer. They set up a plan to give her platelet transfusion send her home for a few days, and then give her Chemo. Rinse and repeat. They also can't operate however my Spanish isn't great and I didn't catch the why.

I haven't seen my niece she is in intensive care and they won't let me go up. I did give her a I love NY shirt and some chocolate which I am told she enjoyed.

Today when I spoke with her over the phone she was excited and crying. If she's able to get a platelet transfusion today. She can go home today, if she is unable to get it today or gets it too late in the day she will go home tomorrow. She sounded happy but at the same time worried her dad wouldn't find a donor for the platelets. Unfortunately, I don't qualify which broke my heart. Her dad is literally asking every stranger on the street if they are willing to donate, and offering them 1000 Dominican pesos which is about 23 dollars. He finds people willing but most need to go to work and can't at that time.

I am hopeful she comes home today or tomorrow as I myself am anxious to see her. Her dad did say no mcdonalds but I may disobey.
Old May 17, 2023, 9:09 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I have donated platelets more than 200 times. I am wondering if there is any way I can donate them to her.
kipper and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I have donated platelets more than 200 times. I am wondering if there is any way I can donate them to her.
If you want to fly to the Dominican Republic I do have a room you can stay in a few days. Yesterday the plumber who came to fix a leak in her grandmothers house donated so we are really grateful to him.

She is coming home today, but I have been doing a lot a running back and forth with her dad. We need to get her an Air conditioner for the room. Doctors said she needs to stay cool. Thankfully we found the AC at a good price, we just will be voiding the warranty by installing it ourselvse (split) they want too much money to install it same day and we can't wait 5 days. Fingers crossed we don't get electrocuted.

We have been speaking with a hospital in colombia I do not know what details they are hammering out but we spent the night emailing her records to the hospital manager.

For those curious she is on the following medicines. I don't know what they are or how they work I haven't googled them yet but will after I post this. I am super excited to see her later today after we get the AC installed!

The medicine her fathers picking up now from pharmacy
Mensa 400mg
Doxorrubicina 50mg
Vincristina 1mg
Granisetron 3mg
Old May 17, 2023, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Looked up the medicine and I am utterly confused. It's leukemia medicine, chemotherapy medicine and medice to help with the side effects of what she has. I am so confused because they told her she doesn't have luckemia but the medicine seems to be for that.

I attached the perscriptions maybe Iread the names wrong or dicipheredt them wrong I'd be greatful if some other set of eyes can help make it out just incase I didn't make them out correctly.

Old May 17, 2023, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I am dumb was reading the chicken scratch and there is a print out and those are the medications
Old May 17, 2023, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

i finallu saw her and she looked like she tried ti smile when i handed her some chocolate she cant speak shes shivering shes tense and hard to the touch i honeslt broke doen in tears when i left her room i dont think she makes it to tomorrow
Old May 18, 2023, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Im just posting this because it’s 2am and I can’t sleep I’ve been twisting and turning in bed since 11pm. I’m afraid to sleep even feel as if I’m having a minor panic attack. Had one before back in September 2012 when my sister passed away of lung cancer she was a heavy smoker.

i Can feel my heart pounding in my chest and when I close my eyes I can hear it clearly.

im taking deep breaths to calm down and it’s helping but u can’t get the image of my nieces face out of my head and it was the exact same face my sister had when I arrived at the hospital at 3am on September 10 2012. Only difference was when I saw my niece last night, she was still breathing and when I saw my sister in 2012 she had just passed away I didn’t get to say my good-byes.

i didn’t dear say my good byes to yessy when I saw her earlier tonight. I handed her 5 bite size Hershey chocolates. Her favorites the ones that come in the yellow wrapper with peanuts. Mr. Goodbar. I also handed her 2 airheads. I placed them near her hand on the bed hoping she’d grab them but she didn’t.

the energy I heard in her voice yesterday wasn’t there anymore. I could see her move her eyes to follow me. She grunted but I’m not sure if it was her trying to speak.

I will try to sleep now but not sure I will be able too.

the plan tomorrow is for me to take her to the waterfront for a walk, and give her dad a day to catch up with work and other things he needs to catch up on. However I have a feeling that won’t happen after seeing the state she was in.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:27 am
Community Director Emerita

I am so glad you are there so she knows how cherished she is. I wish I knew better words and I wish there was more than you could do. But you are doing everything you can with giving her all this love.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am so glad you are there so she knows how cherished she is. I wish I knew better words and I wish there was more than you could do. But you are doing everything you can with giving her all this love.
Thank you San Diego.

Entire family who is outside DR is flying in and herr family from DR are all making their way to see her.

Her body is hard as if shes having a sezuire. My wife suffers from epilepsy and when she has an attack she gets rock hard and you can't move her or bend her arms or legs. Yessy body is locked in position her arms her legs are twisted and you can't move them. She isn't having a seizure though because she can trace you with her eyes and is aware because she grunts to try and answer you.

She is also slowly bleeding from the mouth, just a slow stream of blood.

We also learned that her father was hiding how serious the condition was with family because he was embarrassed because he feels as if he failed her. I really didn't want to share the go fund me for her but I will because it's getting to a point where the financial situation is worst than I expected. If a mod feels that sharing the link goes against rules I understand and you can remove it if you feel fit.

Thanks

https://gofund.me/22004584
Old May 18, 2023, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Some good news. We were able to get the air conditioning installed. Those DYI videos on youtube for split-ac units made it seem simple, but a lot harder, we ended up having to find a professional who thankfully did it for dirt cheap. Literally a beer and a high five.

Shes comfortable now and her body isn't stiff as it was last night and earlier today. She is talking again but only 2 or 3 words. She didn't like the airheads but loved the chocolate and asked for icecream. She also asked her grandma to cut her hair which she did.

She is too weak to walk around so no waterfront today. but maybe tomorrow.
Old May 19, 2023, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Today had plans to take her for a walk to the water front. We were going to use a wheelchair and went to pricesmart to get on (Costco but Latin America Version same kirkland products though) but they were out of stock but should have them in soon.

Doctors called and asked her to come in so she is at the hospital now.

Thank you to all those who donated on Go fund me
Old May 19, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Well after posting the above just got a call that they need another blood transfusion. Going to drive around with my brother in law to see if we find someone wish us luck
Old May 19, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Today had plans to take her for a walk to the water front. We were going to use a wheelchair and went to pricesmart to get on (Costco but Latin America Version same kirkland products though) but they were out of stock but should have them in soon.

Doctors called and asked her to come in so she is at the hospital now.

Thank you to all those who donated on Go fund me
Hoping for a miracle for your niece.
HWGeeks likes this.

Last edited by Finkface; May 19, 2023 at 12:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.