Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Business Saver fares on JAL domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum

Hello - I'm just popping in from the BA forum.

Can anyone please tell me what fare class AY Business Saver fares book into on JAL domestic (namely between KIX and HND)? I'm looking at a LON-Tokyo trip, and quite happy to go via KIX for the same price if equals more BA Tier Points (which I believe has to be Domestic J class on JAL).

Thanks in advance ^
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Isn't the flight KIX-HND possible to book as AY-coded flight? When I tried to book this on finnair.com it gave me J-class on AY5817 (KIX-HND).

How does this work on BA - is it the operating or marketing carrier deciding what you will get?

Also, you may be able to book LHR-ARN-HEL which should give you more TPs, or?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Couldn't book on ba.com, so was going via Finnair's site, but couldn't find the booking class for the JAL flight.

ARN is an option, but not on the days I was looking at unfortunately.

Thanks for the response ^
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
The booking class is printed in the left frame after you have selected the outbound and inbound flights from the screen.

1st step is the matrix (if you select +-3 days)
2nd step is the connecetion possibilities for the selected days
3rd step is the details (here is the fare class shown)
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:01 am
Original Poster

It took me a while to spot, but now I see it's "I" class for all 3 legs. Thanks again ^
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
Have a nice 772 flight. Have you considered upgrading yourself to F? F cabin looked great and it was maybe 40 € more expensive compared to C. I am not sure is F available in all flights but worth to check out.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Anselmi
Have a nice 772 flight. Have you considered upgrading yourself to F? F cabin looked great and it was maybe 40 € more expensive compared to C. I am not sure is F available in all flights but worth to check out.
I am all for premium class travel, especially if on work trips. But we are talking a 1h10min flight here.

I'd rather spend some extra euro at the Nikko Hotel KIX sauna & spa. Used to go there each time after arriving to freshen up.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Booked ^

Routing (for me) is as follows:
AY832 LHR - HEL (d10:20 a15:15)
AY071 HEL - NRT (d17:20 - a08:55+1)

AY5816 HND - KIX (d08:05- a09:25)
AY078 KIX - HEL (d11:00- a15:10)
AY5909 HEL - LHR (d17:55- a19:00)

My wife is going LHR-ARN-HEL-NGO on the outbound leg a week earlier than me, and flying back the same (she needs the BA TPs more than me, and I thought I'd give AY J a go in Europe).

Managed to get her 1A on the HEL-NGO leg, on the basis she shouldn't have to clamber over anyone to get out (she needs a window due to her travel sickness, even if the blind stays shut), and have us in 5A & C on the way back. I've put myself in 5D seat on the way out, on the basis I want an aisle, and any neighbour will have direct aisle access on their own side. Also grabbed 1A on the LHR-HEL leg, having read all about the space-saver seats on the A319-321s.

Anselmi - we can't choose seats on the JAL flight yet, but we may ask about a paid upgrade at check in, depending on (1) how much we spend whilst in Japan, and (2) how awake we are at that time in the morning!

I've had a thorough read of all the relevant threads in the pinned section, but many date from 2006-07. Is there anything else I need to know to maximise the AY J experience?

One other question - is champagne served on European J flights (both my LHR-HEL leg and my wife's short ARN-HEL hop)? Not that I have a drink problem of course...
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:40 pm

AY5816 HND - KIX (d08:05- a09:25)
Actually, departing from HND going F might make sense. You'd get First check-in, fast track and the domestic F lounge at HND. And a nice brekkie on board. Would make for a nice start of your return journey.

I've had a thorough read of all the relevant threads in the pinned section, but many date from 2006-07. Is there anything else I need to know to maximise the AY J experience?
The lounges at HEL will be both full and disappointing until December when the new transit lounge and spa open. Getting a shower there on longhaul arrival is not an easy task at the moment.

One other question - is champagne served on European J flights (both my LHR-HEL leg and my wife's short ARN-HEL hop)? Not that I have a drink problem of course...
Yes, and one nice red and white each respectively. And not to forget the Port wine.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
Actually, departing from HND going F might make sense. You'd get First check-in, fast track and the domestic F lounge at HND. And a nice brekkie on board. Would make for a nice start of your return journey..
Oops, take that back. No domestic F on HND - KIX, only class J. Sorry. HND - ITM would have F.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for your replies, mosburger ^

Is there still a separate OW Emerald lounge @ HEL (as my wife will qualify for that)?

Not too worried about a shower, as we only live a short distance from LHR and can wait until we're home at the end of the trip. We don't tend to smell too bad, so shouldn't offend any fellow pax

Was also going to add to my post above - I'm staying in the Yotel at LHR T4 ahead of outbound, which I'm strangely looking forward to. Also looking forward to trying out AY's J product more than I to actually being in Japan (been before, so not as new an experience), which is probably quite a sad admission...
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:16 pm

Is there still a separate OW Emerald lounge @ HEL (as my wife will qualify for that)?
Yes, the Longhaul lounge is the flagship offering until December 11th. Then the new ViaHelsinki lounge and spa open.

Was also going to add to my post above - I'm staying in the Yotel at LHR T4 ahead of outbound, which I'm strangely looking forward to. Also looking forward to trying out AY's J product more than I to actually being in Japan (been before, so not as new an experience), which is probably quite a sad admission...
It's quite a nice combo if you don't happen to get one of the Embraers for the European leg.

On the other hand, with BA Cityflyer starting EMB flights out of LCY, maybe we can expect a LCY - HEL connection when the economy picks up?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.