Wiki Posts
Search

SK/*A Lounge to become AY?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
SK/*A Lounge to become AY?

As known as of 5 August the HEL terminals will be divided so that the present domestic terminal 1 will be taken over by Star Alliance (and possibly also by SkyTeam).

In that new situation I can't figure out how it would be practical for Star Alliance to maintain its current lounge. Someone told me that AY would take it over. Any news?
Old May 5, 2009, 5:55 am

I guess that´s exactly what´s going to happen. Otherwise Blue1 et al wouldn´t want to move to the present domestic wing of HEL. WIll they take control of the ex-domestic lounge at HEL in return?
Old May 5, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I would think that there will be some physical changes regarding the SAS lounge and the AY Silver Wings lounge as they are next door to each other. This is a shame as I think the SAS lounge is currently the nicest one (lots of wood etc.), especially after they remodelled the Silver Wings lounge. I also think I heard from somewhere that after the changes there won't be a separate domestic lounge. Can anyone confirm that?

Beer and wine in the lounge when flying domestically? (SAS/Blue1 already has that).

The AY domestic lounge was really worn out the last time I visited (over a year ago I think), so if it will be the *A lounge I think it will be completely remodelled.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:11 pm

Come to think of it, the Ay Domestic Lounge is way too small to become the *A lounge. Considering the layout of HEL, maybe SK will retain its current lounge after all?
Old May 6, 2009, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Originally Posted by tsastor
Come to think of it, the Ay Domestic Lounge is way too small to become the *A lounge. Considering the layout of HEL, maybe SK will retain its current lounge after all?
What was until now the AY Domestic Lounge was indeed extremely small. If *A is planning to have its own lounge in Terminal 1, they will absolutely have to find something else or to expand that space (but how?).

The obvious disadvantage in keeping the present SK/*A Lounge is the long walking distance to most of the gates of Terminal 1. That would be very inconvenient to most pax, especially considering that the check-in would also be in Terminal 1.

As to the present SK/*A Lounge, I agree with those who claim that it has been the best lounge at HEL. ^
Old May 7, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by tsastor
I noticed yesterday that they are actually building a "bulge" - an extension to the building's outer wall exactly where the domestic lounge used to be. So it looks like Finavia is expanding the lounge space to make it large enough for *A.
Old May 7, 2009, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I noticed yesterday that they are actually building a "bulge" - an extension to the building's outer wall exactly where the domestic lounge used to be. So it looks like Finavia is expanding the lounge space to make it large enough for *A.
Too bad. The SK lounge won't be the same w/o a view to the planes.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:41 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Can confirm this "from a reliable source".
Old May 27, 2009, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I was talking to the "lounge Lady" few days back and we also talked about the new future lounge. I think she mentioned that the lounge will be somewhere close to gates 12&13, if I remember right. If that's the case then it's not the location of the old Finnair domestic lounge...??
She mentioned that she was a bit sad thhat the view will be lost, but the lounge itself would be much larger.
Old May 27, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by harri
lounge will be somewhere close to gates 12&13, if I remember right. If that's the case then it's not the location of the old Finnair domestic lounge...??
There's now a large waiting area with lots of seats next to the gates 11 and 12 at the far end of the terminal, and a smoking lounge and some toilets opposite gate 13, in addition to the domestic terminal security point. There's definitely plenty of room for a lounge if the public seating area is made smaller and the gas chamber moved elsewhere (or preferably just torn down).
Old May 27, 2009, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by harri
I think she mentioned that the lounge will be somewhere close to gates 12&13, if I remember right. If that's the case then it's not the location of the old Finnair domestic lounge...??
Actually it is then where or close to where the old old domestic lounge (the domestic CIP lounge) was situated. I think it moved from there around the year 2000. It was a very small lounge with coffee/tea, soda cans and packaged cookies.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC Elite
I asked today about the SK lounge in HEL and was told that it is indeed going to be located around gate 13. Planned opening date is October. Until then, they will remain open in their current location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.