Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Grrrr Moscow

The good news is that the Aeroexpress from Savelevskiy Vokzal is a dream. It gets you to the airport in 30 minutes, for RUR250, while the drive can take anywhere up to 2 hours. ^

The bad news is that Aeroexpress train drops you off in a mini-shopping mall (complete with Starbucks and Accessorise and a variety of clothes shops), 10 minutes walk from SVO-2 (presumably closer to the new SVO-3, but not great to walking to SVO-2 with luggage).

The new security arrangements are a nighmare. Instead of going through security at the gate, there is now general security for all, immediately after passport control. With one scanner open, and the most inefficient security you could imagine, the queue for security was back to the immigration booths, preventing anyone from going through passport control. And the with AY156 going out the same time as an Air China flight, it was chaos there, and took over half an hour to get through.

The "First Class" is even more filthy than it ever was - the left hand side is now closed, so everyone was crammed in the right hand side, which looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months.

I wish AY would move to DME.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Is there a "fast track" at SVO security? And no, this is not sarcasm.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:45 am

Programs: AY Gold, LH SEN, SK Silver, HH Gold, PP
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I wish AY would move to DME.
I certainly do hope the same. All of AY's OW partners fly to DME... I have never flown to Moscow with AY, just in order to avoid SVO. But if I should have to, which one of the two AY lounges at SVO is better? Or are they both equally bad?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Is there a "fast track" at SVO security? And no, this is not sarcasm.
Not a chance.

There is a J check-in desk. After that, you are left to join the long queues at immigration, then enter the mass of pushing, under-washed, 3rd world travellers to get through security.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingPrince22
I certainly do hope the same. All of AY's OW partners fly to DME... I have never flown to Moscow with AY, just in order to avoid SVO. But if I should have to, which one of the two AY lounges at SVO is better? Or are they both equally bad?
Not sure why the website lists two AY lounges.

AY has only ever given me a pass for the First Class (DATE) lounge, which is horrid.

The Classic Lounge is slightly more pleasant, but has even less to eat/drink.

I think they list the 2, as the SVO authorities may decide to have AY use one or the other. But I have only ever seen the First Class Lounge used for AY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.