Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Should we have a HEL DO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:25 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Well, I do actually have the (in)official opening date of the new lounge in mid-September, but thought December might be less hectic considering work-related travel.

How about a compromise date in the latter part of September then? Once we get the confirmed dates of the lounge and terminal extension openings this could then be set definetily.

I cannot be the organizer alone because of sheer physical distance to Helsinki but can help here and there for sure.

Would someone be interested in taking up this role and suggesting an itinerary and of course the most suitable dates, be they in August, September or later?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Agenda permitting, I'll be happy to participate.

Given all info in last posts, I second late september be a good compromise.

December tends to be more and more busy for every year
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:24 pm

Ok, so it seems that the new lounge and spa will open on December 9th this year. Shall we still be looking at a DO around that time?

As mentioned I can't be the main organizer but glad to help anyone ready to bite the bullet. Also have some contacts with the people behind the Flamingo spa & entertainment complex ( http://www.flamingo.fi/en ) close to HEL so something can be done there as well.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onobond
Agenda permitting, I'll be happy to participate.

Given all info in last posts, I second late september be a good compromise.

December tends to be more and more busy for every year
Originally Posted by mosburger
Ok, so it seems that the new lounge and spa will open on December 9th this year. Shall we still be looking at a DO around that time?

As mentioned I can't be the main organizer but glad to help anyone ready to bite the bullet. Also have some contacts with the people behind the Flamingo spa & entertainment complex ( http://www.flamingo.fi/en ) close to HEL so something can be done there as well.

Check your agendas for last December. Room for a DO?

If fall of 2009 to close, January is a non-busy month; 2010?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 5:50 pm

January to around mid-March is just too dark and cold to have a DO. No idea when Easter is in 2010 but maybe just after that holiday as an extended weekend?

As the new baggage facilities will not be ready until March 2010 it might actually be a passable alternative.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
It really depends what people want to do.

Do people want a Helsinki Dinner Do where you have mainly FT members from Finland or do we want to organize a bigger Do?

IMHO in order to get people to fly to Finland it should be during the warmish time of the year.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:55 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
IMHO in order to get people to fly to Finland it should be during the warmish time of the year.
When all the Helsinki based people are on holiday and out of Helsinki for the summer?

Seriously, mid-June to mid-August is the best time of year in Helsinki with lots of things happening everywhere... on streets/parks/islands/beaches etc.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by holtju2
Otoh... what is the point of having the kind of weather people are used to? Wouldn't it be more interesting to have -30C outside? Assuming we still get that kind of weather, of course.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramo
Otoh... what is the point of having the kind of weather people are used to? Wouldn't it be more interesting to have -30C outside? Assuming we still get that kind of weather, of course.

Minus 35 to the gentleman in the right corner. Do I hear -40?

Back on topic: You can dress to avoid whatever wheather is outside. I assume we're spending more time inside. Let's focus on when people are able to participate, trying to avoid most hectic vacation time in Finland. Umbrellas, Wellies and Survival Suits brought along at everone's discretion.

Last edited by onobond; Mar 24, 2009 at 2:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:39 am

Suggestion: A DO from Friday April 30th to Sat May1st or Sun May 2nd 2010. That would enable to combine AY related stuff on the Friday and possbily Sunday and traditional Mayday festivities on Friday evening and Saturday.

The current construction phase at HEL should be complete by then and things hopefully work smoothly. Also something could be arranged with the Flamingo spa & entertainment centre people. Have some connections there.

Just a possibility...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Sounds good! Once the dates are set I may have a conenction to get in touch with as well.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Sounds good! Once the dates are set I may have a conenction to get in touch with as well.
Gnopps, would you have interest to act as an organizer? I believe you are resident in the Helsinki area?

I myself am in Asia most of the time with occasional longer stays in continental Europe and the US. But normally only travel outside Asia on shorter trips and sometimes when taking AY only stay at HEL for a couple of hours. So it is not really that convenient for me to handle practical stuff regarding this possible DO.

We can continue by PM if you (or someone else) is willing to be among the organizers.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Yup, I am about to move to Järvenpää so still live in the capital area. I might be able to arrange the DO but donät know for sure yet. I'll get back about this!

Originally Posted by mosburger
Gnopps, would you have interest to act as an organizer? I believe you are resident in the Helsinki area?

I myself am in Asia most of the time with occasional longer stays in continental Europe and the US. But normally only travel outside Asia on shorter trips and sometimes when taking AY only stay at HEL for a couple of hours. So it is not really that convenient for me to handle practical stuff regarding this possible DO.

We can continue by PM if you (or someone else) is willing to be among the organizers.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
I would definitely make an effort to visit Helsinki, and a DO is a strong motivator. But can we have a (pre-arranged?) day-trip to Rovaniemi to see Santa? (I was in Oulu many years ago around mid-summer; we drove to Rovaniemi to see the Chubby Man in Red, but he was on his summer holidays! . So we took a much longer drive to a 'museum' somewhere near a Sami village whose name I can't remember, so that we could see some lemmings, but when we got there, the curator told us they were all dead! )

--Henry
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Today would have been a good day

I was sitting in a restaurant on the Esplanadi today watching all of the pretty girls go by with an accordion band on stage. It must have been 25c outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.