Search

OT: Should we have a HEL DO?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
OT: Should we have a HEL DO?

Sometime next year. Anyone else willing to participate?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:13 am

Absolutely. I think there is demand for such a do. Helsinki is at it´s best either in winter (february) with snow and walking on ice and so on or in the summer months (june is best with the sun almost not going down).
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I'm in!

Happy to see fellow Flyertalkers here, let's DO it!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: AY Gold
I would vote for late June - July.
You can't rely on winters in Helsinki any more, it can be wet and dark, with no snow... not exotic, just gloomy.
You have to travel up north to be sure to get a white winter.

There are better changes to get a nice summer in Helsinki, the days a long anyway and the streets are busy.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: too many to list
I'm in as well... schedules permitting, of course. I don't think any time after midsummer is a good time though, since almost everyone is on vacation here. Maybe mid-June?

Btw, if you want to experience either the real midnight sun or the assured real winter, you can't get those in HEL. IVL or KTT would work much better.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:09 am

Programs: Spire, Hilton D, Accor P, SPG Plat, Radisson G, Shangri-La Diamond, Hertz PC, AY Lumo
Absolutely

Yes, sounds like a plan Im in.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: AY Lumo.
Schedules permitting, why not.

I wonder if we could get some sort of official support from Finnair Plus or Finavia?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Well, I'd say the right time for a DO would be in September 2009 when the terminal extension and new lounge complex opens.

And yes, support from Finnair is possible to a certain level, I'm sure.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by mosburger
Well, I'd say the right time for a DO would be in September 2009 when the terminal extension and new lounge complex opens.
You have a point there, I think. Not much to see in HEL before that...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:58 am

December 2009: Visiting the spanking new HEL lounges, longhaul terminal complex, Christmas markets and of course Christmas lunch together?

This is also more secure in case the terminal extension and lounges will open later than planned in September.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: AY Lumo.
December 2009: Visiting the spanking new HEL lounges, longhaul terminal complex, Christmas markets and of course Christmas lunch together?
Sounds good to me!

While we're on the topic, maybe it would be a good idea to point out to all the regulars here on the Finnair board that there's a pretty massive DO being organized by the SAS gang in the fall. I'm sure many Finns will join in.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
I'm in.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
It probably would be easier to get more participants when the weather is better in Finland. Also December tends to be rather hectic for few of us.

I believe that August would be a better choice. I haven't had a look on the Communitybuzz what else is going on the second half of 2009 though.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:37 pm

Yes, of course the weather aspect is valid and sound.

I´m just saying that I might be able to assist in arranging something with Finnair a bit later when they actually have new facilities to promote and show. In August HEL will still be a building site and probably a bit chaotic due to the holiday rush.

But I guess nothing stands in the way of having two separate DOs either. A summer one and a Christmas DO.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
I´m just saying that I might be able to assist in arranging something with Finnair a bit later when they actually have new facilities to promote and show. In August HEL will still be a building site and probably a bit chaotic due to the holiday rush.
mosburger's suggestion is good. It would be great to get a tourist tour to the new lounge facilities in HEL. Anyway, DO in August or December, I am in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.