Wiki Posts
Search

Any bonus and/or MGM promo for AY+?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any bonus and/or MGM promo for AY+?

I'm about to join so that I can credit some OW flights (don't need status and I can work around the 5 year expiration, therefore AY is the best solution because there are more miles on offer).
The UK site doesn't mention any joining bonus or anything like that. Is there any way of getting something to start with?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Platinum,AB Top Bonus , LH Miles & More, Virgin Flying Club
AY Finnair Plus

Hello Graraps,

take a look in American Airlines AAdvantage also good to collect Finnair Flights and the Miles hold longer even you collect 1 1/2 Years a Flight or whatever you get miles in the account.

Hope this helps.

Greetz,

Svenfly
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Svenfly
Hello Graraps,

take a look in American Airlines AAdvantage also good to collect Finnair Flights and the Miles hold longer even you collect 1 1/2 Years a Flight or whatever you get miles in the account.

Hope this helps.

Greetz,

Svenfly
Yes, but it's only 150% miles for business class, and less than 50% (e.g. 25% BA, 30% IB) for cheap economy...And they don't seem to allow you to use the miles for upgrades (or, if they do, they will probably be for travel from/to/via the USA which doesn't really interest me; I'd rather upgrade on AY to Asia).
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
AY and upgrading...With existing status European s/h upgrades with points are a piece of cake. Without status upgrades on certain Asian routes (PEK, PVG, NRT) could be fairly hard to get, the biz cabins are full anyway.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
AY and upgrading...With existing status European s/h upgrades with points are a piece of cake. Without status upgrades on certain Asian routes (PEK, PVG, NRT) could be fairly hard to get, the biz cabins are full anyway.
Hm...where would you collect OW (CX and QF mostly) miles for upgrade redemption?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
Hm...where would you collect OW (CX and QF mostly) miles for upgrade redemption?
Oh, if you fly AY/CX from Europe via HKG to Australia things should be fine. But Beijing, Shanghai and Tokyo are routes where AY is rather reluctant to chuck out any upgrades.

And you would probably end up in the dreaded back biz cabin if on the MD11, just a few feet from the infamous Recaro LCC seat.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, if you fly AY/CX from Europe via HKG to Australia things should be fine. But Beijing, Shanghai and Tokyo are routes where AY is rather reluctant to chuck out any upgrades.
I'm probably going to HKG/CAN as opposed to all the way into Australia. If I want to go to PVG, I'll just get a cheap domestic across China...Same with Tokyo; isn't KIX easier?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:59 pm

I'm probably going to HKG/CAN as opposed to all the way into Australia. If I want to go to PVG, I'll just get a cheap domestic across China...Same with Tokyo; isn't KIX easier?
Yep. CX ensures a lot less premium pax on AY CAN/HKG routes than the PVG goldmine. And yes, both KIX and NGO (but beware some ex-Nagoya Toyota management team outing to Russia) are easier than congested NRT.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yep. CX ensures a lot less premium pax on AY CAN/HKG routes than the PVG goldmine. And yes, both KIX and NGO (but beware some ex-Nagoya Toyota management team outing to Russia) are easier than congested NRT.
Excellent. So, to return back to the topic of this thread: Is there any way I could get a few miles as a bonus for joining AY+?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:25 pm

Excellent. So, to return back to the topic of this thread: Is there any way I could get a few miles as a bonus for joining AY+?
You could just random check the various AY country websites but normally I don't think so. Maybe in a competetive market like Hongkong or Australia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.