Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
Especially considering CX is opening a seasonal 3 weekly direct CPH-HKG in may, on a proper A359.
This surely is bad news for AY.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
This surely is bad news for AY.
3 weekly seasonals vs 14 weeklies? I don't think it's earth-shaking for AY.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Not AY per se but related:

In june RJ starts 3 weekly (2,4,7) CPH-AMM, offering some new OW options for trips to KUL, HKG and BKK. The route between CPH-AMM will be served by narrowbody, with what I assume is proper SH-J (2+2 46" recliner) config.
I wish they had this a few years ago, when I had regular trips to AMM... I also flew them once to BKK and once a 5th freedom (KUL-BKK?), but it was quite a while ago. I'm nor really comfortable about their armed personnel on board, though.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
With excellent timing too:
135 CX246 CPH1415 – 0635HKG 359 10h20m
135 CX227 HKG0110 – 0630CPH 359 11h20m

Timing works both for stays in HKG and for connections I'm interested in, like CAN.

Apparently CPH airport has worked hard in the background to get this direct line. Let's hope it is successful and moves to a daily/year round.

Pricewise, CX isn't know to be cheap, but current list price is 2250€, compared to AY J saver at 2305€.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What starts off with three weeky seasonals might very soon become daily year-round. That's how many airlines test new routes.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In itself no. I am the frst one to critize anything less than daily and the seasonals. (Even though this schedule fits me personally fine. Go out on a friday, spend full saturday and sunday in HKG and be back in time for work on monday morning)

Add SK963/964 from ARN to the picture and suddenly two of the major AY feeders are under pressure from direct flights.

Add that CX offers one-stop connections in HKG to all of AY's chinese destinations, and more. Sure, PEK, PVG and such won't be time-efficient via HKG.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Well this was an unexpected and welcome new route. I thought MMX was doomed to be LCC and charter only with CPH so nearby.
Based on the pricing at this point, I would guess that AY really does not care about that new route, and it really is an initiative of TF, that AY tolerates as it can work as a feeder. Given the gap between AY and TF prices, it does not seem like AY cares about point-to-point traffic there.

Compare to VBY-HEL, where both carriers compete directly without any codeshares.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Courmisch
... I would guess that AY really does not care about that new route, and it really is an initiative of TF, that AY tolerates as it can work as a feeder. Given the gap between AY and TF prices, it does not seem like AY cares about point-to-point traffic there.
My thoughts exactly.
(Sadly)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

NRT incrase +2 in W18 to 9 weekly, NGO +1 to 6 weekly. And some other changes too:

Tokyo - Two additional weekly frequencies between October 28 and December 5 for a total of nine Finnair weekly flights. Including the joint business flights with Japan Airlines, Finnair will offer up to 16 weekly frequencies to Tokyo.

Nagoya - One additional weekly frequency between October 29 and December 4 for a total of six weekly flights

Lisbon - One additional weekly frequency on Mondays for a total of four weekly flights during the entire winter season

Alicante - Now a year-round route for Finnair with two new weekly frequencies on Thursdays and Sundays during the winter season

Malaga - One additional weekly frequency on Wednesdays during December and January for a total of 7 weekly flights

Geneva - Two additional weekly frequencies on Mondays and Fridays between January and March for a total of 13 weekly flights
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
MMX from 16APR18 operated by BRA:
Well this was an unexpected and welcome new route.
I think this is just a case of fares not being loaded yet and what we see are the old fares.

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Based on the pricing at this point, I would guess that AY really does not care about that new route, and it really is an initiative of TF, that AY tolerates as it can work as a feeder. Given the gap between AY and TF prices, it does not seem like AY cares about point-to-point traffic there.

2 months after the news posted, that is more true than ever.

TF has adjusted the price downwards (normal struggle to fill a newly opened route) and AY keeps on offering Value (and pro) at a pricepoints 2,5x higher.

Meanwhile, AY CPH-HEL sells at 25% lower price than TF MMX-HEL.

AY MMX-HEL 235€
TF MMX-HEL 94€
AY CPH-HEL 72€

I feel sad for TF, which is a very nice operator.

-- Added
MMX counts 1,4 million in their swedish catchment area. MMX has 2+ million pax yearly. OUL, Finlands second largest airport has less than 1million pax.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
2 months after the news posted, that is more true than ever.

TF has adjusted the price downwards (normal struggle to fill a newly opened route) and AY keeps on offering Value (and pro) at a pricepoints 2,5x higher.

Meanwhile, AY CPH-HEL sells at 25% lower price than TF MMX-HEL.

AY MMX-HEL 235€
TF MMX-HEL 94€
AY CPH-HEL 72€

I feel sad for TF, which is a very nice operator.
My guess is that AY would rather have the passenger fly on AY-metal from CPH since they don't have to share the cost with TF then. Another theory would that there is an agreement that AY isn't allowed to compete with TF on the direct route, per demand from TF.

Long-haul the fares have been updated and although they are slightly higher than CPH/STO (checked Y to HKG & TYO) they are still "normal".
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
HEL - MMX?? Wish I had known sooner! I'm in Malmö/Lund quite often and detest flying via CPH + taking the train + the new border controls (they're STILL there...)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

...Another theory would that there is an agreement that AY isn't allowed to compete with TF on the direct route, per demand from TF.
Ah, didn't think about that. Could be, could be.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
HEL - MMX?? Wish I had known sooner! I'm in Malmö/Lund quite often and detest flying via CPH + taking the train + the new border controls (they're STILL there...)
Not too late to try.
TF isn't bad, serves "breakfast" in Y for instance. However, there is free seating, so I am not sure if the imaginary seat block will work.

Also, I guess it is the only option to fly a 4-engine jet from HEL!
CeruleanBlue and Kari Jurri like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
TLL-KTT added on A320 for the winter skiing season. Quite odd, but nice to see AY expanding in Estonia.
FFlash likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.