Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

CEO of Finnair Topi Manner leaving the company

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)

And there we go…

https://news.cision.com/fi/finnair/r...isaan,c3820047
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Classic move. Make som big changes, leave before the full effects can be seen.

I guess we can anticipate spend based system going live just before march 1...
vulle, Ed Size, Fredrik74 and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Absolutely atrocious.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Nothing new. In Finland we dont have great builder CEOs. We have only great costcutters and managers by prkl and managers by efficiency and scrutiny.
Awesome country for reap and rape companies
nordic, tsastor, Ed Size and 12 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
He said adios.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Can we expect renumerations to be reduced by 3:2 for going adios?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by FFlash
Nothing new. In Finland we dont have great builder CEOs. We have only great costcutters and managers by prkl and managers by efficiency and scrutiny.
Well, in all fairness his tenure in AY definitely did not go as planned. Two crises and contact firefighting with no real light in the end of tunnel (I.e. current strategy is to survive, as growth is almost impossible until Russian airspace opens).
What he likely achieved was company survive and become profitable, although that can always be fabricated to make FY bonuses look good, but still, AY still flies.
I'm quite certain he had vision of different Finnair at 100 years and as that is not likely occurring soon, why not downshift in quiet local telco company.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
He said adios.
Imagine if he said avios in his resignation letter.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Well, in all fairness his tenure in AY definitely did not go as planned. Two crises and contact firefighting with no real light in the end of tunnel (I.e. current strategy is to survive, as growth is almost impossible until Russian airspace opens).
What he likely achieved was company survive and become profitable, although that can always be fabricated to make FY bonuses look good, but still, AY still flies.
I'm quite certain he had vision of different Finnair at 100 years and as that is not likely occurring soon, why not downshift in quiet local telco company.
Elisa's market cap is 10x AY's, so it doesn't seem like downshifting.

Anyway, he made the right moves despite the whining here, and the fact that AY didn't go bankrupt / do another rescue rights issue but posted highest ever quarterly operating profits despite Russian airspace is (partly) a sign of that. As a taxpayer, I can only hope the next CEO continues this, even if it's sometimes not the best as a passenger.
oliver2002 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:57 pm

Mr. Topi you will surely not be missed. I wonder how this guy gets these top positions..
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
I worked for wallac in Türku love Finland and the people shame the companies get .... on !
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I like CEOs who leave the boat before you realize that the course you have taken was dangerous. Any clown can cut costs, but a company like AY needs a strategy to make profits in the medium and long term. Did Topi also sell all valuable assests? That would fit into the picture.

But my experience tells me it is not getting any better, the customer is simply an annoying and expensive evil. One should get rid of this cost factor quickly. And increase the salaries of the management.
Fyfan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:34 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by mpkz
Anyway, he made the right moves despite the whining here, and the fact that AY didn't go bankrupt / do another rescue rights issue but posted highest ever quarterly operating profits despite Russian airspace is (partly) a sign of that.
I wouldn't attribute AY's recent success to him (only), as the whole market is booming. The market situation doesn't only bring in record revenue, it has also enabled AY to lease out their excess capacity. AY is still lacking a long-term strategy.
bhomburg, juanfc, FFlash and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by mpkz
Elisa's market cap is 10x AY's, so it doesn't seem like downshifting.

revenue wise AY is 50% more than Elisa with at least possibility for growth, Elisa has intentionally stayed in comfort zone just churning money so for someone who was planning to conquer the world for AY, Elisa is stay-at-home-dad-move with nice pay. Unless of course now Elisa starts to expand.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Unless of course now Elisa starts to expand.
Maybe Elisa will now buy some air from Germany and Italy for 4.3 billion, like Sonera did back in 2000?
cistavoda, manywhere and Makeflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.