Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

CEO of Finnair Topi Manner leaving the company

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO of Finnair Topi Manner leaving the company

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
(I kid you not - a delivery from the UK arrived to Finland (Vantaa) on the 9th December, it had to be cleared thru customs. The letter from Posti informing me about this took 20 days (!) to reach me in ... wait for it... in Vantaa. I cleared it the same day, after that it took 5 days from Vantaa to be delivered to an R-kioski in Vantaa, 5 km from me (there's a Posti point 700m from me, but hey, why deliver it there?) The letter, informing me that the parcel is ready to be picked up took 9 days from Vantaa to Vantaa)
This is the description of the new delayed baggage delivery enchament in co-operation with Posti.
WilcoRoger and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
Oh dear yes, what might happen is that just like Posti, AY might turn more profitable but their market will shrink and leave with just unhappy customers who comprise that small market left as they have basically no choice. Nuff said.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Daily flights will become "every other day" on alternating weeks
Yeah, even without going hyperbole, these are the lines I'm thinking along too, when they recruit a CEO from another legacy company; struggling and failing to meet a new future and ends up in a cost saving spiral that of course triggers even bigger loss of revenue that requires even bigger cost savings to keep profitability...
In the talouselama interview I sense he even hints that any potential expansion will be secondary to profitability. While that on one level sounds healthy economics, expansions rarely are successful without some kind of risk taking. If the strategy is to cost reduce until there is money in the bank that can be used for expansion it might never happen. This is what Posti and PostNord is doing - increasing prices and decreasing service trying to beat the pace of wich customers are leaving.

At the press conference it was explained that despite the 5 months to recruit (excluding the 6 months waiting period for this CEO to become available) they hade plenty of highly qualified candidates. My gut feeling is quite the opposite. That, or the board was totally surprised and unprepared when Topi gave notice.

BTW, the starting date of july 11 (exactly 6 months out) indicates they only signed the new CEO hours before the press-release.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Yeah, even without going hyperbole, these are the lines I'm thinking along too, when they recruit a CEO from another legacy company; struggling and failing to meet a new future and ends up in a cost saving spiral that of course triggers even bigger loss of revenue that requires even bigger cost savings to keep profitability...
In the talouselama interview I sense he even hints that any potential expansion will be secondary to profitability. While that on one level sounds healthy economics, expansions rarely are successful without some kind of risk taking. If the strategy is to cost reduce until there is money in the bank that can be used for expansion it might never happen. This is what Posti and PostNord is doing - increasing prices and decreasing service trying to beat the pace of wich customers are leaving.

At the press conference it was explained that despite the 5 months to recruit (excluding the 6 months waiting period for this CEO to become available) they hade plenty of highly qualified candidates. My gut feeling is quite the opposite. That, or the board was totally surprised and unprepared when Topi gave notice.

BTW, the starting date of july 11 (exactly 6 months out) indicates they only signed the new CEO hours before the press-release.
Ironical that he leaves for a position in Elisa. Telecoms and airline industry probably universally share the worst customer experience and service reputation in all industries.
ffay005, FFlash and JoRz like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:32 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Ironical that he leaves for a position in Elisa. Telecoms and airline industry probably universally share the worst customer experience and service reputation in all industries.
You forgot to mention postal services to make the triumvirate complete
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:06 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
”Välitämme / We care” is what he has on his profile in Posti’s colors.
Who cares…pun intended. In fact that välitämme-word is playful and equally means ”we deliver” which is what Posti does (and fails).

Well the profile says this new CEO has made career as consultant and then at Lindorff debt collection services. Of course we will soon get a very positive comment from AY fanboy who will tell this man will be perfect for AY and us, and opinions are free, but what I see this man is not coming from a track-record with customer-excellence operations.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Call me a doomsayer, if you want, but at this point I am happy that my Avios will become transferrable to BA soon.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:55 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
The old CEO leaves to Elisa, the new CEO comes from Posti, with experience at Lindorff debt collection services so it looks like you need to be service driven to run an airline. Oh wait, or is it more about getting the most money for a bad product from the customer?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
”Välitämme / We care” is what he has on his profile in Posti’s colors.
Who cares…pun intended. In fact that välitämme-word is playful and equally means ”we deliver” which is what Posti does (and fails).
These slogans are so funny. HSL, the regional transit authority in the Helsinki area, has launched a massive campaign where they promote their recent price decrease (one of Europe's most expensice single tickets now costs 15 cents less than last year, ie the decrease is as big as is the bottle deposit of a beer can, yay). Their new slogan is "Kaikki on mahdollista", "Anything is possible."

And so it indeed seems, with a video ciruclating in social media yesterday where an HSL bus driver stops in the middle of the street, exits the bus and starts a street fight with some car driver. Take the bus, and nothing is impossible
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
The old CEO leaves to Elisa, the new CEO comes from Posti, with experience at Lindorff debt collection services so it looks like you need to be service driven to run an airline. Oh wait, or is it more about getting the most money for a bad product from the customer?
Once the new CEO starts at AY, getting missing AY+ points will require opening a collection case to Lindorff who will return after half a year with only half of the points. The other half taken as case management fee. And Itellä-hoidat-sen-Posti will deliver the postal letter half a year later.
ffay005, Ed Size and FFlash like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by manywhere
Once the new CEO starts at AY, getting missing AY+ points will require opening a collection case to Lindorff who will return after half a year with only half of the points. The other half taken as case management fee. And Itellä-hoidat-sen-Posti will deliver the postal letter half a year later.
Not only, all EU261/2004 claims handling are outsourced to Lindorff too, and that half taken would be named as "ex-managment fee".
CEO Kuusisto: Rest assured, things would certainly not go " päin mäntyä"!
FFlash and manywhere like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:49 am

You forgot to mention postal services to make the triumvirate complete
Exactly.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Its an interesting triangle this.

Coincidentally, today I got a post from Elisa, a bill delivered sooo late they had already misrecorded my payments from a closed account and that bill had 5€ collection fee for 0€ bill. Great I had to call to rectify.
Excellent example. Involving postal service, debt collection, Elisa (incredible?) customer experience, all greatly done in vain, customer leaving, and what more.

Better that Turkasen Kuusistoista wont be reading here, he might have some motivation issue
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by ffay005
To celebrate the new CEO I booked myself two flights today. On Air Baltic.
I think they will be the big winner on this "Adios" and CEO non-sense. I also started to focus on Air Baltic. Clean and easy product. Modern planes in 2x2 config. Customer service answers within the hour. Internet during complete flight. Ice-cream in the lounge.

If Finnair doesn't want my money, no problem, I will spend it with the neighbors. Only issue remains the domestic flights within Finland.
ffay005 and Ed Size like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by intuition

Of course, I've never been on the board of a public company, so I don't know how it works, the people that I know that have been on the boards of public companies do generally agree that recruiting for Finnish gov't owned companies is particularly difficult, but in this case the choice is quite logical: You see that someone who ran a company in decline for external reasons gets hired to run another company that is suffering because of an external shock.

The big difference between AY and Posti is that AY customers, despite some resistance here, do have a choice of how to travel, and hence AY faces more competitive pressure than Posti does. It's just that while BT is often called great here, the Finnish traveling public might be less upset about a quiche being served as the second meal in long haul J (AY) than being charged 35 euros to visit a check in desk (BT).

Last edited by intuition; Jan 15, 2024 at 5:27 am Reason: Violations of rule #12 removed
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by mpkz
You see that someone who ran a company in decline for external reasons gets hired to run another company that is suffering because of an external shock.
So let me get it straight - someone unable to turn around a company that's been in decline is sufficient qualification to run another company in decline and expecting the result to be different?
r2d2, ffay005 and Ed Size like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.