AY Plus changes on 01JUN23

https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/finnai...r-plus-changes

What will change?

Members’ baggage benefits

Point prices for award flights and upgrades

New benefits for Finnair Visa Credit cardholders

Old May 16, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Not great but not as terrible as I feared. Biggest change is quite drastic increases in upgrade and award flight prices (incl. surcharge on awards) - the rest is quite bearable (removal of sports equipment from Golds, free bag from Silvers and heavy bag charge applied to Plats/Lumos). Heavy bag charge returning to both Plats and Lumos is quite stingy, they could have at least waived it for Lumos when the revenue from Lumos' heavy baggage is likely to be quite low anyway.

With the new award prices, at least on shorthaul it's quite similar to the previous award prices we had prior. The new ugprade prices, on the other hand, make vouchers more valuable and might be good for upgrade availability.

Finnair Visa card holders earn 450 tier points per month when spending exceeds 1500 EUR. Isn't a big benefit but better than nothing.

Baggage changes do not seem to apply to tier members that much. I am not sure though if Superlight ticket still allows for a piece of checked baggage for Gold and above, but I would assume so?
mpkz, manywhere and Fyfan like this.

Last edited by lkrt; May 16, 2023 at 1:09 am
Old May 16, 2023, 1:11 am

Paskat, I am really annoyed by the award price increases and especially the surcharges on longhaul. 120/segment to Asia? That´s a lot.
Gnopps, ffay005, florens and 5 others like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
Service and product going downhill and need more points and more money.

Wrong direction Topi now.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Not as bad as I was first expecting when seeing the news. Obviously going downhill but I welcome a better control of cabin baggage as the amount and size of baggage people are allowed to bring into the cabin is sometimes ridiculous.

Also, 450 tier points/month for AY Visa spend should not devaluate status as with these amounts (5400 tp/year) one will not be able to spend oneself to Gold/Plat by simply using the credit card.
TTL likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: AY+Plat
33% devaluation of points in addition to introduction of surcharges.

They might start selling points now or even start double points promo.

Last edited by lento; May 16, 2023 at 12:46 pm
Old May 16, 2023, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
Is this Superlight 0% points ?
manywhere, Olperoo and Rokka like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Paskat, I am really annoyed by the award price increases and especially the surcharges on longhaul. 120/segment to Asia? That´s a lot.
Is the price for an award to Asia just 120 for Business Class? That's cheap compared to BA, AF or other airlines that charge minium 200 euros for Business Class.
mpkz likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Have we also had confirmation on the abolishment of the soft landing perk? There were some rumors….
Old May 16, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Is this Superlight 0% points ?
My guess is as this replaces Light, it would still be at 50%.

Re the soft landing perk, it has never been an official perk and Finnair has never stated it exists, I doubt they would communicate in any way if it was to be removed.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:50 am

Finnair Plus Platinum and Platinum Lumo members can no longer take heavy or oversized bags with them free of charge.

Imo this sucks most for me. Fixed amount of tier points for 1500e spend is little strange, but ok I guess.
Fims, florens and napapiiri like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Congratulations Finnair, it's making Eurobonus comparatively sexy again!
Round trip to Asia = 190000 points + 240 EUR = 1500-1800 EUR + real airport taxes depending on the value one gives to AY points. With availability sometimes difficult to come by. In the end, buying revenue tickets without bothering with AY might be the way to go. AY points are still interesting for intercontinental one-ways though.
ffay005, intuition and JackieTrent like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Not as bad as I feared. They didn't touch the tierpoint thresholds or gift gold card which I fully expected. Although removing the perk of free heavy bags for top members is annoying. My bag is often a couple of kgs overweight but need to be more careful with it now.

Also, no mention if the free carry on bag on superlight tickets is also available to other OW elites. I imagine so?
florens, Rokka and Rakennusteline like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:30 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK, IHG Plat, Club Carlson etc
My personal worry is that they'll now start checking the carry-on luggage weight. I don't like check-in bag for intra-Europe flights, and even if my carry-on has small dimensions, it's often bit heavy - typically just over 10kg (laptop and other typical business travel stuff).

In my opinion, the 8kg limit (incl personal item) is ridiculously low, and if I understood correctly, the same 8kg limit will be now applied also to business class both short- and long-haul.

It also seems that even business ticket now has max 23kg checked bag, not anymore 32kg. It has been sometimes handy to have one heavier bag for longer trips, but I guess from now just do two lighter bags instead. Not sure how that'd benefit Finnair. Even more stupid would be check-in bag for short travels just to stay below that 8kg carry-on limit...
ffay005, Anselmi, Rokka and 2 others like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: AY+, Marriot Bonvoy
Also on the could have been worse -train. AY had to make changes to drive for sustainable profits and they focused most of the negative changes away from their most frequent travellers.
mpkz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.