Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bangkok (BKK) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Originally Posted by Ed Size
20 Min after take off? I doubt this. But same experience in AY 145, about 30 minutes early, but the pilot decided to pull up and go around for a second approach so we landed in time. Fastlane is still confusing at BKK, since signs and location don t match.

Food was was terrible, even the pasta tasted bad/dry, service was super nice with an oldschool purser who understand what matters.

But I was really surprised that the plane was so full since when I checked J class the last time, a couple of days before the flight, only 30% of the seats been taken, also my upgrade cleared straight away.
I was surprised myself on how quickly they started service, admitedly I was one of the first ones to be served. And if it wasn't 20min, it was max 25min.
Same here, 2-3 days before there were only maybe 10 seats taken and availability at least J9C9D9.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:13 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
While you need to pass through the security theatre at HEL, it is a very quiet time on the non-Schengen side meaning that if you exit the plane early and walk briskly, waiting times at the security checkpoint will be minimal to none.
So BKK is security on arrival? I see a bookable connection of 45min needing to also go through Passport control for a Schengen connection. With AY142 constantly running late, I wonder if this is a likely way of running into a EU261 claim...
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:10 pm
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Piggybacking on this, which can be moved elsewhere (The Bangkok (BKK) Thread)...what time does check-in open for the early morning flight BKK-HEL? Is it possible to use the self-service check-in and bag drops?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:09 am

Programs: AY Plat
At least I wasn't able to self-service check-in sometime last year so had to wait some hours after my previous flight. From memory, check-in desk opened 3 hours before the flight.
a_k likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by thierre
At least I wasn't able to self-service check-in sometime last year so had to wait some hours after my previous flight. From memory, check-in desk opened 3 hours before the flight.
Any special reason for this? And did you try the kiosks at the airport?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: AY Plat
Any special reason for this? And did you try the kiosks at the airport?
I had hours to spend so yes, I definitely tried all possible kiosks and asked advice from a couple of persons, but it was not possible. There is no way to get your check-in bag early.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Oh, this was about the bag. Yeah, that of course only works if they have a desk open.

For HBO, you should be fine checking in online or at a kiosk.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:42 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Thinking of BKK for the first time in my life (not for one night as it might make the hard man humble but for an entire week in Conrad with points). Can it be so that the biz-flex fare would be eur 4351, but the additional costs would be negligible eur 53 altogether? Usually the additional cost without Avios would be much bigger...

(QR would have been over 1k more expensive and not included the domestic sections)
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:03 am
Original Poster

My God what prices Did you check any other airlines? The way Adios is going I would suggest you venture to the dark side and see what's available. Perhaps KUO-HEL-XXX on AY as a separate ticket, a night somewhere in Europe and then a nonstop to BKK on another airline. Might come out a lot cheaper.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:20 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
My God what prices Did you check any other airlines? The way Adios is going I would suggest you venture to the dark side and see what's available. Perhaps KUO-HEL-XXX on AY as a separate ticket, a night somewhere in Europe and then a nonstop to BKK on another airline. Might come out a lot cheaper.
BA biz via LGW eur 8500... etc. So AY is still competitive. .
Price it not the factor but service level and timetables. I was also considering BKK-HKG hop onboard CX before booking and then HKG-HEL? Eur 300 more expensive.

Last edited by TTL; Apr 24, 2024 at 5:26 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by TTL
BA biz via LGW eur 8500... etc. So AY is still competitive. .
Price it not the factor but service level and timetables. I was also considering BKK-HKG hop onboard CX before booking and then HKG-HEL? Eur 300 more expensive.
QR flash sale until tomorrow for 2200€ in light ex HEL, RJ ex ATH 1414€.

Conrad isn’t a very good hotel - at those ticket budgets you should consider something else.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:46 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TTL
Thinking of BKK for the first time in my life (not for one night as it might make the hard man humble but for an entire week in Conrad with points). Can it be so that the biz-flex fare would be eur 4351, but the additional costs would be negligible eur 53 altogether? Usually the additional cost without Avios would be much bigger...

(QR would have been over 1k more expensive and not included the domestic sections)
I checked ex-TLL and I see $1800-$2200 fares on TK and AY to BKK throughout the year and early next year. Should be fairly easy to reach from KUO.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:31 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
Conrad isn’t a very good hotel - at those ticket budgets you should consider something else.
Second to that. Hilton Sukhumvit, or the Asoke, would be my choices, if burning HH points is the thing. Conrad as the last resort if others not available.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Second to that. Hilton Sukhumvit, or the Asoke, would be my choices, if burning HH points is the thing. Conrad as the last resort if others not available.
A good 10 years ago, the Hilton on the Chaopraya was an excellent choice for mass tourism with the family. Everyone was much impressed. I'm a Bonvoy man these days, so cannot comment more on the current Hilton options in Krung Thep
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: AY Plat, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
A good 10 years ago, the Hilton on the Chaopraya was an excellent choice for mass tourism with the family. Everyone was much impressed. I'm a Bonvoy man these days, so cannot comment more on the current Hilton options in Krung Thep
Many on FT, myself included, swear by SGS. It's still my default hotel in BKK. Really the only time I don't stay there is when I have a very early flight (such as AY142) and stay at the airport hotel instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.