Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Seat reservation for AA flight opb AY?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I am booked in business class on an AY flight from ARN to LAX with an AA ticket. If I am not mistaken, AA still offers, unlike AY, free advance seat selection for business class (which was one of the reasons to book via AA instead of AY or BA). However, I cannot make a seat selection on aa.com (during the booking process, the seat selection sub-menu popped up, but no seat map was displayed) and on AY, in the "manage booking" menu there is also no seat selection available.

Long story short, how does seat selection work on code-share flights opb AY? If I understand the AA-small print correctly, the only way is to call Finnair. If so - any experiences if the average call center operator is reasonably in the know about the differences of what is included in business class tickets of oneworld partners?
Old May 31, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Your eTicket itinerary has the Finnair booking reference, " OPERATED BY FINNAIR /AY 0017O/XXXXXX" You can use that 6-character reference and last name at Finnair Manage booking. There you may be able to change you seat. I'm not 100% sure you can assign seats for free unless you have a status with Oneworld. Finnair charges seat assignments even in business class, so I would imagine this policy is applicable for AA issued tickets and AA codeshares on Finnair.
mpkz and vfw614 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by vfw614
If I am not mistaken, AA still offers, unlike AY, free advance seat selection for business class (which was one of the reasons to book via AA instead of AY or BA).
While AA may offer it, you booked AY, not AA. AY plane, AY rules. Codeshares always come with a planeload of problems.
vfw614 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: M&M
Same issue here. AY chat told me there would be a fee to assign seats. AY Twitter never replied to my dm. AA Twitter replied that despite trying they too were unable to assign seats. Despite that AA.com and app now show assigned seats for the AY operated flights, interesting to see if these are actual seat reservations.
vfw614 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Codeshare means metal rules. If you don t agree talk to AA. I only can say "No way codeshare".
vfw614 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have you tried the other OW airlines which may circumvent this, ie. RJ or RAM? Use their websites to manage your booking, it may work.
vfw614 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by offshore_bob
Have you tried the other OW airlines which may circumvent this, ie. RJ or RAM? Use their websites to manage your booking, it may work.
This only works if you have status and no money needs to be collected. If no status, the operating airline (Finnair in this case) will charge your seat selection and only way to do this is by operating carrier booking management service.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.

The problem is that there is nothing to manage when I access the booking via finnair.com. It only shows the flight times, baggage allowance but nothing about seats, not even a link where you could pay fo a seat assignment. On aa.com, the booking shows that no seats are assigned but yet again, nothing to manage.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Thanks for your input.

The problem is that there is nothing to manage when I access the booking via finnair.com. It only shows the flight times, baggage allowance but nothing about seats, not even a link where you could pay fo a seat assignment. On aa.com, the booking shows that no seats are assigned but yet again, nothing to manage.
Do you have the e-ticket issued? It almost sounds the booking is somehow incomplete and perhaps not ticketed yet..?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Thanks for your input.

I experienced a similar problem after buying my tickets on AA.com. I had to call AY customer service to select seats.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:41 pm

I booked a business class flight through AA on AY metal for June. AY booking reference showed up in the AA app. Manage my booking on AY website had free seat selection. No issues.
(no status on either airline)
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Do you have the e-ticket issued? It almost sounds the booking is somehow incomplete and perhaps not ticketed yet..?
Yes, the ticket has been issued (at least according to aa.com where a 0012-ticket is shown).

Originally Posted by Sant
I experienced a similar problem after buying my tickets on AA.com. I had to call AY customer service to select seats.
Did they charge you for that?

Originally Posted by rstruthe
I booked a business class flight through AA on AY metal for June. AY booking reference showed up in the AA app. Manage my booking on AY website had free seat selection. No issues. (no status on either airline)
Interesting. Was that before the AY website relaunch? I can pull up my booking on the AY website, but, unless I am blind, there is nothing about seats in the "Manage Booking" menu - not in "Trip Overview", not in "Passenger Details" and not in "Travel Preparations".

Last edited by vfw614; Jun 2, 2022 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Probably nothing to do with the codeshare ticket thing but AY seat reservation IT is totally appalling. I have a J award, on which the outbound was cancelled and I was moved to TG J (much appreciated) and then the inbound I moved ahead by few months. All these 4 dates/flights are visible when pulling the reservation and it ”insists” that ”there’s been a schedule change”..for the already flown outbound…but all the online functions, seats/food/luggage etc. are gone…really annoying..booked the missus on the same flight but cannot change my seat without bothering AY, so unefficient and also embarrasing to bother the WA team with a seat change that should be a click on the App/Web kinda thing..
vfw614 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Yes, I didn’t realize I chose the Business class fare which didn’t include seat choice.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:19 pm

Yes, the ticket has been issued (at least according to aa.com where a 0012-ticket is shown).

Interesting. Was that before the AY website relaunch? I can pull up my booking on the AY website, but, unless I am blind, there is nothing about seats in the "Manage Booking" menu - not in "Trip Overview", not in "Passenger Details" and not in "Travel Preparations".
I can still see seat selection now, it’s a bit confusing to find as you have to go through an extra subpage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.