Wiki Posts
Search

Covid flexibility policy.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond club
Covid flexibility policy.

I have a flight booked to BKK, The Covid arrival policy in Thailand makes it very unappealing to take this holiday. I booked it thinking Finnair had a change/cancellation policy in line with other airlines but apparently not. I am unable to cancel the fare and a date change results in a large fare increase, I don't see what the difference is too before Covid and how they can advertise a book with confidence policy.

My question is can I get around this by changing the date and asking to be upped to a business flex fare (paying the large difference) then use the rules of this fare to cancel for free?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The first thing these days is to check the covid change policy before booking on an unfamiliar airline. AY doesnt have one, really, which is why I dont book revenue tickets with them for now. What they market as one is a joke.

Award tickets come with full flexibility so thats my route unless Im flying within Europe and booking close to departure.

You cannot upgrade your ticket to full flex and then receive a full refund. Sorry.
TTL likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Looks like I will just move it to later in the year, the fare difference is not to bad if Im careful with dates. The agent on the phone said the fare difference was as my booking class was sold out, thats what gave me the idea to move up a couple more classes.

Finnair Covid policy does seem worthless, anyone who gets Covid close to departure or refused entry at destination will have no option but to lose out.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
AY is selling Flex tickets which allow for refunds.

I agree the policy isnt great but one is free to book an airline with a more flexible policy.

Checking the fare rules when booking is essential to avoid disappointments like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by gooner14
Thanks
Looks like I will just move it to later in the year, the fare difference is not to bad if I’m careful with dates.
I would not make the change right away because you can always hope for a schedule change or cancellation, which would then give you the right to refund. Perhaps a week before the first flight, or so. Try to find dates where the fare is more or less the same as you paid. Hopefully you find something.

You could also try to find flights that are most likely to be cancelled. Right now, they operate HEL-BKK in the afternoon wave. If you find midnight departures, those are probably more likely to be cancelled in case they decrease the number of flights.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Have left it late already, they changed it by 10 minutes so not enough for a refund.
I will change it to the summer for dates I can use, its another 350pp but still a decent business fare. Hopefully we wont have to jump through hoops to enter Thailand by then.

Although if they change the new flights I will probably cancel and book something with a more accommodating airline.
ffay005 and esledo like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:16 am
Original Poster

This has actually worked out OK, I was allowed to change the dates for free even though the new dates are 400pp more than I originally paid. So I now have flights for the summer for a great price, just need Thailand to relax the rules so I actually want to take them.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:43 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by ffay005
The first thing these days is to check the covid change policy before booking on an unfamiliar airline. AY doesn’t have one, really, which is why I don’t book revenue tickets with them for now. What they market as one is a joke.

Award tickets come with full flexibility so that’s my route unless I’m flying within Europe and booking close to departure.

You cannot upgrade your ticket to full flex and then receive a full refund. Sorry.
Even their "classic" fares , e.g., KUO-LHR and return costing around €1k+ will not be refunded. Changing the dates is ok for once, but changing the name of fellow passenger costs, etc (well that have used to be...) Have to be careful nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.