Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ Eliminates plastic cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
ARN T2 has asked for it but this is very rare. German contract lounges almost always do, TLL seems to have reports about the card being asked for though I have no personal experience with this one.
TLL not any more. At TXL they also stopped asking for them last year.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by aapee
TLL not any more. At TXL they also stopped asking for them last year.
TXL never asked for in IME and I do not consider the BA Lounge a 3rd party one. But either way hopefully AY's lounge situation at BER eliminates the issue entirely.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
ARN T2 has asked for it but this is very rare. German contract lounges almost always do, TLL seems to have reports about the card being asked for though I have no personal experience with this one.
I do. Had to show my BAEC card to them more than once.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
They asked me many times before, which was kinda annoying as they had the PAX lists printed out anyways
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
It seems to me that some others than me are very comfortable with handing over their smart devices to have some QR code scannned by gate or lounge staff. I certainly don't want to hand over my personal smartphone, even briefly. So yes, it's physical cards for me. Furthermore: they're more reliable than your mobile app, device OS and battery charge always being dependable. Plus indeed, it does feel good to have that card.

Thankfully I can still get my card with BAEC whenever requested, but it's indeed unfortunate, if AY+ higher tier members can't even request it.
Ukki likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Plus indeed, it does feel good to have that card.
Really? Even better than flying?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Can anyone Lumo confirm that they won't be able to get cards on request?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:15 am

So the idea is that you bring your phone in the future?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Im a new user
So the idea is that you bring ryour phone in the future?
Not saying that it totally replaces cards, however, I always print BP (mostly at the self service kiosks) rather than using mobile BP.

In the rare occasions where BP is not enough, you might need your phone.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by lento
Not saying that it totally replaces cards, however, I always print BP (mostly at the self service kiosks) rather than using mobile BP.
I am even more old fashioned by going to the counter for a cardstock one if the kiosk doesn't have them since I keep mine. Usually cards are never needed, but when they are it is plastic. I read years ago on the LX forum that a ZRH or GVA dragon accused the poster of "photoshopping" the digital one
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I am even more old fashioned by going to the counter for a cardstock one if the kiosk doesn't have them since I keep mine.
I do both self-service kiosks and check-in desks, but the desk is nice to say hello to and you may get some useful last minute information/advice.

I want a printed boarding pass for afterwards completing my flight logging and for travel insurance purposes. It's just good to have a paper trail of what you've done and where you've been. Also in many countries the immigration authority will want to see your boarding pass, so of course I much rather give them a verbatim one to inspect.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
So hear me out.
I'm not enough covid bored yet, to make any more precise calculations than that, but.
My back-of-the-envelope calculation tells me, that 1kg of weight reduction accross the entire fleet would account to about 35000€ per year.
Lets say each card weights about 5 grams and that every flight will have on average about 15 Lumos on board.
This would then amount to 5*15/1000*35000=2625€ euros saved for the shareholders on fuel alone
SPBanker likes this.

Last edited by vanaema78; Jan 6, 2021 at 6:04 pm
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by vanaema78
...1kg of weight reduction accross the entire fleet would account to about 35000€ per year.
I guess the next light-ticket-type will target travellers with a proven weight loss since last flight!
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I guess the next light-ticket-type will target travellers with a proven weight loss since last flight!
Why do FR and others only charge extra for overweight baggage and not for overweight passengers? Charging per kg instead of per passenger could be the next big thing in aviation!
kauppias likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-41835933

It looks like Finnair has thought of this before.
When filling a loadsheet, standard weight is used for passengers and carry-ons.
There are definetely savings to be had, when using more accurate measurements for the loadsheet and therefore carrying less unnecessary fuel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.