Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fims
AY destinations in October 2020 (and probably also November and onwards):

Feel free to alter and add missing destinations!

Longhaul
BKK-HEL this direction only
HKG
NKG
TYO
PVG
ICN

Northern Europe
ARN
GOT
CPH
OSL
RIX
TLL

Europe
TXL/BER
FRA
HAM
DUS
MUC
VIE
BUD
PRG
LHR
MAN
EDI
CDG
AMS
ZRH
BRU
FCO
MXP

Domestic
IVL
KAJ
KAO
KTT
KUO
MHQ
OUL
RVN

Print Wikipost

Current AY destinations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
GVA used to be twice daily until they cut the second flight a few years ago. But it was never big in volume, almost always operated with E190 except for the peak winter holiday weeks in Feb-March.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by FFlash
to add my comment earlier, if I really Have to visit these cities, I am just fine taking a flight to Oulu or Kuopio and pop up at Kemi or Joensuu.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Extra Mile
Same for Kuopio, take a flight to Kuopio Airport and then take a train from Kuopio Airport to Joensuu, total time 2 hrs again.
People don't seem to realize that there is no train connection between Kuopio and Joensuu. Neither is the bus connection good. There is no chance to travel from Kuopio to Joensuu on public transportation when arriving with evening flights from Europe.

Only sensible option to get to Joensuu is to take taxi/rental from Kuopio airport. At that point it's likely better to take the train from Helsinki.

Last edited by avermat; Sep 20, 2020 at 3:52 pm Reason: Added another quote
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Extra Mile
I should be a Traficom director, but why Finland doesn’t develop these things together with airlines, train companies etc., Trains should stop every secondary hub airport, like Oulu, Kuopio and Vaasa. For example, take flight from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport to Oulu, 1 h, then take a train from Oulu Airport to Kemi another 1 h. So travel time 2 hrs, if connections is good. Same for Kuopio, take a flight to Kuopio Airport and then take a train from Kuopio Airport to Joensuu, total time 2 hrs again.
Originally Posted by avermat
​​​​​​

People don't seem to realize that there is no train connection between Kuopio and Joensuu. Neither is the bus connection good. There is no chance to travel from Kuopio to Joensuu on public transportation when arriving with evening flights from Europe.

Only sensible option to get to Joensuu is to take taxi/rental from Kuopio airport. At that point it's likely better to take the train from Helsinki.
Like I said, that I SHOULD BE a person who makes these decIssions, that these issues get better. There shoul be airport train stations where you can take a train and connect easily. Finlands public transportation needs co-operation because it’s so large country and so less people.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by avermat
​​​​​​

IMO you are missing the point here, namely, you have to have/rent a car anyway everywhere in Finland outside Helsinki Turku Tampere triange which is the only working public transport area. Hence my comment about Joensuu-Kuopio or Kemi-Oulu.
Kajaani is a Finnish Siberia backyard to be avoided anyhow
And Vaasa has SAS competition and lots of industry travellers etc so AY wants to keep them.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Salo or Hämeenlinna are almost as large as Joensuu, and yet they don't even have airports. The driver from Salo to HEL is about the same as from Joensuu to KUO...

And if it makes KUO operations more viable, it's almost win-win.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Salo or Hämeenlinna are almost as large as Joensuu, and yet they don't even have airports.
Those are prime examples of cities to which AY ought to offer codeshares on VR. LH offers codeshares on DB, AF offers codeshares on SNCF and IB offers codeshares on RENFE. Why can't AY offer codeshares on VR?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Im a new user
Those are prime examples of cities to which AY ought to offer codeshares on VR. LH offers codeshares on DB, AF offers codeshares on SNCF and IB offers codeshares on RENFE. Why can't AY offer codeshares on VR?
AF code-shares on 2C are only for TGV stopping at CDG. There are no IC or S trains stopping at HEL.

If I were AY, I would maybe not want to have to deal with customer support from idiots who couldn't figure the connection at Tikkurila or Pasila station.

Actually, I wish AY would code-share on 2C too! But they only seem interested in DB Rail&fly
Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
AF code-shares on 2C are only for TGV stopping at CDG. There are no IC or S trains stopping at HEL.

If I were AY, I would maybe not want to have to deal with customer support from idiots who couldn't figure the connection at Tikkurila or Pasila station.

Actually, I wish AY would code-share on 2C too! But they only seem interested in DB Rail&fly
DB Rail&fly can include connections if the passenger so wishes. Also, RENFE's Train & fly requires taking a local train from the airport to the railway station. I can't see why it would be so hard to take a train from HEL to Dickursby or Böle.

You can book a through ticket connecting from AY to 2C by booking the AY flight as an AF codeshare.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Im a new user
You can book a through ticket connecting from AY to 2C by booking the AY flight as an AF codeshare.
I know, but then it's not eligible for AY accrual, and the prices tend to be preposterous as opposed to buying the flight and rail tickets separately.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Finnair destinations list during Covid-hopo

Losing track of what flights going where, cannot we simply have a wiki where Finnair flies to keep uptodate?

I am sick if this trvael mobbing and I need to fly over borders, the h@ll with corona I say.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:27 am

Just a random comment about the domestics; I've been flying a shitload of domestic legs in the last ten years and it's been made so difficult for the last couple of years that it's impossible not to think that Finnair has just wanted to kill it. Availability disappearing, sudden 3x price surge for all summer flights before cancelling them all for "low reservations" and endless weird ...... Now tactical "not connecting to international flights".

And at the same time, I've been on mostly full (even overbooked quite often! - you know how fun it is for someone to be denied boarding for that and then find out that they won't get any hospitality because they can catch the late-night flight that's in KOK at 0130? Not very fun for a business traveler)

..that's very much unlike the finncom era when most of the evening flights were actually quite empty.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Finnair pricing is funny:

21NOV20
HEL-JOE AY641 56,58€
HEL-KUO via JOE AY641 43,38€
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

21NOV20
HEL-JOE AY641 56,58€
If you travel HBO, deplane at JOE and, out of courtesy, tell the check-in agent that you're feeling a bit unwell and won't be flying to KUO today, what will happen?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

21NOV20
HEL-JOE AY641 56,58€
Same reason as why most of us preferred to start their long haul journey in another European city? Non-stop routes cost premium, which you definitely know.
I find more interesting that domestic RT flights apply min. stay rules for cheap tickets, but you can combine the same routing as 2x OW at a significantly lower price.

Originally Posted by ffay005
If you travel HBO, deplane at JOE and, out of courtesy, tell the check-in agent that you're feeling a bit unwell and won't be flying to KUO today, what will happen?
Are you actually deplaning at JOE, or is it one of the routes where such a stop only allows passengers with boarding pass to the mid-stop leave the plane?

Last edited by on22cz; Oct 6, 2020 at 11:55 am Reason: OW vs RT
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If these days you say that you feel unwell, do you think they'll force you to fly the last leg?
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.