Search

Discussion about future of FFPs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:35 am
Company Representative, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun

Wait a Minute: An Airline That Actually Listens to Its Frequent Fliers?

Imagine an airline whose representative proactively reaches out to its frequent fliers for input on improvements - and then actually implements them within days. Among the positive changes which have already been announced include elite level status extended by another six months, including voucher and gold card expiration dates. Find out which airline says that they are listening to its frequent fliers - and why FlyerTalk members are generally happy about the new developments.
View Thread
WOW, thank you! This seriously is the best.

Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, this is something Karolina should print out and proudly put up on the office wall!
Office is kinda empty so i sent an email instead

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I thought it was worth to nominate it
Dziękuję

(...)
- award and tier points for AM trips (1eur=1p) I don't know if this is new and if you still get normal points for the flights
(...)
AM trips were earning only award points, so tier accrual is new.

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Whose idea was this 1000 award points -campaign ?
It's a bonus idea from the team

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Yes, I noticed they mentioned the share issue.
Wish I could earn AY+ points or status for participating. 😂
I wish we could offer that, but there are quite strict legal regulations on that kind of thing.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The current one in the app is a joke, so hopefully they launch a proper legible version with a QR code plus OW status visible and make sure it can be added to Apple Wallet.
Hopefully, there are a few situations where a physical card is still needed.
yes, very much working on a digi card that would be functional and not just a picture of the current plastic card. Would you mind sharing some of those situations where physical card is still needed? TIA!
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FinnairPlus
WOW, thank you! This seriously is the best.

Office is kinda empty so i sent an email instead

Dziękuję

AM trips were earning only award points, so tier accrual is new.

It's a bonus idea from the team

I wish we could offer that, but there are quite strict legal regulations on that kind of thing.

yes, very much working on a digi card that would be functional and not just a picture of the current plastic card. Would you mind sharing some of those situations where physical card is still needed? TIA!

some outsourced/3rd party lounges still ask for them

sometimes your phone does not work

just a couple of reasons
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
TLL "Nordea" lounge - they asked for the plastic every time, even when on AY and boarding card showing status & lounge invitation. I flew there long ago, maybe it changed
also assorted lounges, especially if flying other OW airline

So typically no need, but there are still cases.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I hate digital cards. Every premium airline with a FFP still sends out cards -- some like Qatar and JAL even send out metal ones. Qantas and VA you can use their cards as a debit card as well after loading funds.

So when an airline tells me they're stopping to send cards because of environmental reasons, I call BS -- it's just another cost-cutting measure.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Thanks for your reply!

The scenarios I can think of are:

1. Lounge access as someone mentioned before, some lounges, both oneworld and non-Oneworld ask for it. Rarely though for the latter.
2. AA Flagship First Check in, for those that don't know what this is, it's a check in facility with expedited TSA for AA INTL or transcon F plus OWE available at JFK, MIA, ORD and LAX. Showing the physical card at the door is the best method for entry.
3. AA baggage allowance if status has expired, if one can prove that status was valid when you booked the ticket, the higher allowance applies.
4. Statusmatch promos from other carriers are best taken advantage of when you send a picture of the physical card.
5. If one is checking in at the counter and for some reason the AY+ number is missing, I find it easier to pull out the plastic card from my passport wallet and hand it over vs. searching for it on my phone.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
So when an airline tells me they're stopping to send cards because of environmental reasons, I call BS -- it's just another cost-cutting measure.
This.

Usually, I don't need a card at all, but when I do it's usually in the plastic format. Until the entire world can readily accept digital cards, I also call BS on "environmental" reasons.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:15 am

Some lounges/check-ins have required showing it when flying with oneworld. Digital card might be enough (or not).

Hong Kong e-passport office wanted to see physical card (2 years ago). My collegue with digital card was not accepted.

Personally I've combined mastercard, which is enough.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
2. AA Flagship First Check in, for those that don't know what this is, it's a check in facility with expedited TSA for AA INTL or transcon F plus OWE available at JFK, MIA, ORD and LAX. Showing the physical card at the door is the best method for entry.
I've never had issues with just saying I'm OWE.

In addition to cutting the TSA line, you'll be served by great agents. I once had a real benefit of it when AY cancelled my direct ORD to HEL flight and the agent doing the reroute via JFK hadn't reissued the ticket. It was solved quickly at the Flagship First Check-in with a friendly explanation of what had gone wrong.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by reflektia
Some lounges/check-ins have required showing it when flying with oneworld. Digital card might be enough (or not).
Personally I've combined mastercard, which is enough.
Yes, it should be enough but if I wanted to statusmatch, I'd rather not send my CC number, and if I blur it then the carrier will tell me my information is incomplete.
Therefore, for those that would like a regular card, should be able to order it online in a simple prompt.

Originally Posted by r2d2
I've never had issues with just saying I'm OWE.

In addition to cutting the TSA line, you'll be served by great agents. I once had a real benefit of it when AY cancelled my direct ORD to HEL flight and the agent doing the reroute via JFK hadn't reissued the ticket. It was solved quickly at the Flagship First Check-in with a friendly explanation of what had gone wrong.
Yes, it's definitely YMMV if a card is needed or not.
Those agents are lovely indeed, the agents inside Admirals Clubs and Flagship Lounges are great too, saved my perse on many occasions. They have the title "Premium Customer Service Agent" on their name tag so that's one way to make sure you have a more experienced one.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
TLL "Nordea" lounge - they asked for the plastic every time, even when on AY and boarding card showing status & lounge invitation. I flew there long ago, maybe it changed
also assorted lounges, especially if flying other OW airline

So typically no need, but there are still cases.
TLL "Nordea" lounge staff must add card expire date to their system for guest registration, that is why they ask. When I do not have the physical card, I tell them expire date, works every time.
SPBanker and kauppias like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Can FinnairPlus comment on the price increase on awards with OW partners? It has not been announced on the website, but awards in the booking engine now quotes a new points-price.
E.g. Domestic QF J award, is supposed to be 60k but is now 62k in booking engine.

Is this a mistake or perhaps a part of the changes when YQ is removed from AY awards?

-- Added
I do notice there now is a "Classic" and a "Web" moniker, so perhaps this is a preparation for charging extra for awards booked over the phone?

Last edited by intuition; Jun 18, 2020 at 12:26 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Can FinnairPlus comment on the price increase on awards with OW partners? It has not been announced on the website, but awards in the booking engine now quotes a new points-price.
E.g. Domestic QF J award, is supposed to be 60k but is now 62k in booking engine.

Is this a mistake or perhaps a part of the changes when YQ is removed from AY awards?

-- Added
I do notice there now is a "Classic" and a "Web" moniker, so perhaps this is a preparation for charging extra for awards booked over the phone?

looks like a filing mistake. We will correct this. Meanwhile, if you want to book that award, pls contact customer service. Sorry for inconvenience and thanks for raising this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Did others get the second 6-month extension? My account is untouched.
When logged in on the new web, it says "we've extended you period and your upgrade vouchers" but neither has happened for me.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
When logged in on the new web, it says "we've extended you period and your upgrade vouchers" but neither has happened for me.
Same here.
I read somewhere that it will be completed by September. Maybe we are towards end of the queue.
kauppias likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:46 am
Original Poster

We will complete all extensions by end September, so very likely you don't see anything yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.