Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Awaiting refund from coronavirus cancellation - 25 days so far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awaiting refund from coronavirus cancellation - 25 days so far

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by pompeyflyer
My flight from lhr to hel was cancelled and I have been rebooked on a later flight (2hrs 50mins later). Can I now cancel and get a full refund as I don’t really want to travel.
yes you can. Just tell Finnair that you want to refund because your flight was cancelled.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
they seem to be operating very fast now... I cancelled all my open flights last evening at 1900 and today I got the refund email

Hello,

Your refund request of reservation xxxxxx with case number xxxxxx is now processed to same payment method as originally purchased. The refund amount is paid to your account in 2-5 days.

Our Customer Service is happy to help you in any further questions. http://www.finnair.com/fi-en/custome...ct-information

With kind regards,
Customer Refunds, Finnair  
zxcv1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
I think Finnair deserves praise for actually refunding customers with cancelled flights, unlike many other airlines who keep the money yet didn't deliver the flights. Perhaps withholding the money is the only survival strategy of these other airlines. Not only is Finnair able to issue refunds by being financially well-governed prior to covid19, it will help in the long term with their brand too. Honest and reliable.
ffay005, florens, SPBanker and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I guess the mountain of requests has slowly been worked through and now they are back to near normal, though according to the CEO they still have 100m euros to work through - and/or they put more people and technology to the refund handling.

Whichever it is, AY has played fair and square - you’ll get your money back but it’ll take time (and often much longer than predicted)

Compare that to some others’ “we might go bankrupt, but here’s a voucher” approach ...
SPBanker likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by kauppias
they seem to be operating very fast now... I cancelled all my open flights last evening at 1900 and today I got the refund email

Hello,

Your refund request of reservation xxxxxx with case number xxxxxx is now processed to same payment method as originally purchased. The refund amount is paid to your account in 2-5 days.

Our Customer Service is happy to help you in any further questions. http://www.finnair.com/fi-en/custome...ct-information

With kind regards,
Customer Refunds, Finnair  

and today the money is in my accounts for both tickets! 👍👍 fast
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Just under 8 weeks for a full refund.
Our MEL-OSL was cancelled by Finnair, and the return OSL-MEL was cancelled by us. The return was business D, so fully refundable.
Made the claim 1 June and the refund arrived in my credit card 25 July, so well done Finnair.
(I have much less optimism about our SAS refund requests)
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/bluewi...uation-2131366

From FB post:

Due to the huge volume of flight cancellations in recent months, we’ve had a backlog in the refund handling process. This has – understandably – upset some of our customers. Here’s where we are now:
👉 Two thirds of refunds have been processed and paid by early August.
👉 We’ve handled refunds worth €270 million. 650,000 customers have been reimbursed for their unused tickets.
👉 We’re still going to process about €100 million worth of payments.
👉 We’ve been adding more resources to refund handling throughout the spring and summer.
👉 We’ve developed robotic process automation to handle some refunds, but many ticket combinations and payment types still require manual handling.

We know it’s frustrating to have to wait for your refund. We are sorry about the delay and we thank our customers for their patience. We are working hard to clear the backlog and reimburse our customers for their cancelled flights as quickly as possible.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: AY+
Had to file yet another refund claim today. Janica told me on the phone that the processing time is approximately over 3 months. I'm tired of this s**t☹️
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
According to reports here (including mine) handling has been a few days lately - but don’t count on it.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I called in last night to refund my September ticket to BKK. Email said 8 weeks, Janica said 3 months. We'll see.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ffay005
I called in last night to refund my September ticket to BKK. Email said 8 weeks, Janica said 3 months. We'll see.
If you are disappointed at 8 days, file a chargeback (in writing, with all of the necessary documentation attached so that it can be processed quickly).
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
my refund took under a week even though they said 8-12 weeks
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
YMMV. We had tickets with mrs. r2d2 for flights in June that got cancelled, with mrs. departing 3 days later than me. I called back then to CS to rebook another ticket and in the same call asked to refund my ticket on this particular trip. The refund came in less than two weeks. Mrs (AY Gold) claimed her refund through the online form the same evening and the last time I checked a few days ago, she hadn't seen the money yet.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by kauppias
and today the money is in my accounts for both tickets! 👍👍 fast
Just got this from Janica:
Reservation XYZ is now cancelled and refund request sent forwards. Unfortunately our refund department is exceptionally congested because of corona so it might take three to four months before refund is done.

Never heard that it now should take three to four months. All my refunds so far were processed and refunded within a week or so.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It seems that after the first refund batch in March, they've implemented some sort of tier priority in the refunds process. They ask for your AY+ number on the refund application
florens likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.