Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Awaiting refund from coronavirus cancellation - 25 days so far

Old Mar 9, 20, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

My wife cancelled her flight from London to Sydney via Hong Kong on February 13th. The person she spoke to in the call centre on the 13th told her they could refund her in full because she they had cancelled two of her return legs due to the coronavirus problems.
It's now 25 days later and we're still waiting for the money back from Finnair. My wife is still on the phone with them now, but has been on hold for a long time.

Has anyone else received a refund yet, actually showing up on their credit card?
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:41 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
As told by AY, the waiting time for a refund is 4-5 weeks.
Cupart likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know. Have to say that's pretty disappointing - I realise there is a larger volume of requests at the moment, but that is still a very long time.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 9, 20, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

[Redacted reference to deleted post] The cancelled two of her flights (because they were reducing capacity through HKG). When she called to talk about it she said a) the new flights you've put me on don't work for me and b) Id' rather not go now anyway due to coronavirus.
The agent she spoke to said they could refund her in full for either reason, as by then they were issuing refunds if you're transiting HKG. But in any case, they had rebooked her on flights that didn't suit her, so she has nothing to 'prove'.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 9, 20 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 9, 20, 12:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
[Redacted reference to deleted post] They'll refund you, but it takes a long time. There's actually a clause about the refund schedule in EC261, but AY isn't in the habit of following EC261 anyway, so they'll take their time...
estate likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 9, 20 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's unacceptable because the refund of a full ticket does not require any calculation. It is simply antiquated process as most carriers can process a refund such as this on the spot and the customer will have a credit on their card within 2-3 business days.

At 25 days, I would have used the EC 261/2004 framework and turned it over to my bank. It puts the shoe on the other foot and you would likely have the credit long ago.
estate likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 3:47 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
I asked about the refunds, as I was waiting for one for weeks already last month, and they said that they are processed by dedicated team and all of them are checked/confirmed manually, thatís why it takes time now when there are thousands of them to process and more coming in all the time...4-5 weeks is totally unacceptable by any standards.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
AY has two refunds to give me; the wait would be a month, they said, due to the high volume of cancellations.
Seeing all the mess there is around air travel at the moment, I'm ok with that.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY
AY cancelled my upcoming flights to MXP. I had to call to CS and ask for the refund. Process time suppose to be 4-5 weeks.
At same time I cancelled my prepaid hotel and car rental using booking.com / Hertz apps, money was back in my credit card in 2-4 days.
4-5 weeks delay because of manual process is just BS. They are delaying refunds to make cash flow look good.
florens and Teppo like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:41 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Itís a business, not a charity so they use all the tricks they can. On a positive note the current waiver is quite generous but they must be absolutely bleeding as a business... new bookings are off the cliff and at the same time clxs are sky high.

And, whenever travel picks up again they have lots of moved bookings there from flights that will now operate at a loss = itís really a double/triple hit.

Crazy times, not only for airlines, of course..
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I wonder if itís possible to claim back via creditcard if they fail to meet the 14 day EC261 deadline
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:42 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Claiming from the credit card issuer is not fast either, and you'll be told to ask from the merchant first.
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:54 am

Programs: AY
I received refund much faster than expected. After cancelling (4th of March) refund was shown after 8 days (12th of March) on my credit card.
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
I am waiting on one refund from Feb 17th. Finnair is only airline that has taken this long. I cancelled American Airlines, Cathay, Eva air and British airways which all came back within a few days.
Old Mar 16, 20, 2:49 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Just had to deal with a refund yesterday, they gave me the option to get the money back as a Giftvoucher - since I don t have the CC anymore I paid with. Voucher is already here - so maybe this is an option for you guys.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: