Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Awaiting refund from coronavirus cancellation - 25 days so far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awaiting refund from coronavirus cancellation - 25 days so far

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Just had to deal with a refund yesterday, they gave me the option to get the money back as a Giftvoucher - since I don t have the CC anymore I paid with. Voucher is already here - so maybe this is an option for you guys.
Was the voucher for the same amount as refund? Doesn't sound like a good deal at all
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Was the voucher for the same amount as refund? Doesn't sound like a good deal at all
I was not looking for a good deal in the current situation - for me it was a perfect solution. Since technical they could not rebook my flights like I need them now, but with the voucher I can book the flights I need without waiting for the refund and spending another 4K on tickets.

I find it strange to looking for a good deal in a situation like this. And I don t expect that EU claims will work if I m not allowed to travel to certain areas anymore.
intuition and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
I was not looking for a good deal in the current situation - for me it was a perfect solution. Since technical they could not rebook my flights like I need them now, but with the voucher I can book the flights I need without waiting for the refund and spending another 4K on tickets.

I find it strange to looking for a good deal in a situation like this. And I don t expect that EU claims will work if I m not allowed to travel to certain areas anymore.
I guess a voucher was the perfect solution for both parties in your case. However, I do understand the "good deal" comment in that there is currently a realistic (although still remote) risk that any gift voucher by Finnair will be worthless if they go bankrupt due to COVID-19. In this sense, my perception of a "good deal" is that any refund by AY is paid in cash.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In any situation where a refund is due, I would always insist on cash rather than a voucher, unless a substantial premium is paid for me to accept a voucher.

If all goes well, I simply purchase a new ticket when the time comes. But, if it does not, either because I cannot travel or the carrier does not offer good value (or exist) I have the cash in hand.

In insolvency, those vouchers make one an unsecured creditor which would make one wish for the days of paper vouchers because those at least can be used as scratch paper.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Just had to deal with a refund yesterday, they gave me the option to get the money back as a Giftvoucher - since I don t have the CC anymore I paid with. Voucher is already here - so maybe this is an option for you guys.
They can still refund the CC. You would have had to ask the card issuer to transfer the money to a live bank account of yours. (There may be fees, depending on your country and card.)

Happened to me last year with a cancelled train ticket.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by deissi
I guess a voucher was the perfect solution for both parties in your case. However, I do understand the "good deal" comment in that there is currently a realistic (although still remote) risk that any gift voucher by Finnair will be worthless if they go bankrupt due to COVID-19. In this sense, my perception of a "good deal" is that any refund by AY is paid in cash.
Not having useful route network might be bigger risk due to travel restrictions.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I think that, if the travel ban continues in Q3, we will have more immediate and critical problems to worry about than spending Finnair vouchers.
NoWindowSeat, Ed Size and deissi like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by deissi
Really if I would believe the companies like AY in any danger right now - I would declare quit doing business - and tickets will be worth the same then vouchers, and I need to go to Asia in the next 2 - 4 weeks.

Originally Posted by Often1
In insolvency, those vouchers make one an unsecured creditor which would make one wish for the days of paper vouchers because those at least can be used as scratch paper.
Since it takes up to five weeks till the money is in your account, this money will be back in AY account in case of an insolvency - I need to fly latest by the 14th of April (and yesterday the situation wasn t the same as today. Anyhow this money from my company - if AY is going down the drain - my company will go the same way.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
A quick question to those of you who have managed to change your flights online: I understand you go to MMB and change flights there. Once done, do you get a new ticket per email? Will this happen instantly or is there a wait (implying human interaction is necessary)?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
A quick question to those of you who have managed to change your flights online: I understand you go to MMB and change flights there. Once done, do you get a new ticket per email? Will this happen instantly or is there a wait (implying human interaction is necessary)?
Yes, you go to MMB and change your flight. You get new ticket immediately.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Thanks! Apparently the link is not there for all bookings. I checked some, and for paid bookings, it's there. For award bookings, it's sometimes there and sometimes not.

I have a DXB award for 10APR-12APR, and it's ticketed. The flights are not yet cancelled, but AY has already communicated that they will operate a reduced schedule in April, with no flights to DXB. I'd like to move it to November but apparently I won't be able to do it myself.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
Thanks! Apparently the link is not there for all bookings. I checked some, and for paid bookings, it's there. For award bookings, it's sometimes there and sometimes not.

I have a DXB award for 10APR-12APR, and it's ticketed. The flights are not yet cancelled, but AY has already communicated that they will operate a reduced schedule in April, with no flights to DXB. I'd like to move it to November but apparently I won't be able to do it myself.
I had to change my parents award ticket to DXB. Worked on the 3rd attempt after a "yleisvirhe" and a hung up screen. There was a link in MMB.
X availability wide open, I changed to November.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by KurdtC
I received refund much faster than expected. After cancelling (4th of March) refund was shown after 8 days (12th of March) on my credit card.
That's remarkable. Why would it take so ''little'' time for one passenger and much longer for the other. Im waiting for a refund for a cancellation made on 5th March. About 14 days ago now.
Would status play a role here?

EDIT: Okay, I got my refund (yay, that's earlier than the 4 weeks they said it'd take). However they've only refunded 1 of the 2 tickets that were in the booking. Called them and they made a mistake. The rest is coming soon.

Last edited by EuroFlash; Mar 20, 2020 at 6:40 am
Old May 20, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
That's remarkable. Why would it take so ''little'' time for one passenger and much longer for the other. Im waiting for a refund for a cancellation made on 5th March. About 14 days ago now.
Would status play a role here?

EDIT: Okay, I got my refund (yay, that's earlier than the 4 weeks they said it'd take). However they've only refunded 1 of the 2 tickets that were in the booking. Called them and they made a mistake. The rest is coming soon.
The rest coming soon? Lucky if it does. Finnair have been very poor in processing refunds timely from what I can see.. I'm surprised that there has not been more comment on the forum or perhaps Fins just as more accepting? I'm eight weeks and counting. Not withstanding them having my money when I booked the ticket many months previous to the cancelled flight. Ofcourse it is tough on the carrier but I think they could try harder in processing and suspect they don't really want to.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
I opted for vouchers instead of full a refund. This was actually a decent deal since you get 10%, and my cancellations were two long hauls in J. They said it might take 2-3 weeks but I got them by email the next day already.
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.