Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Is AY5 and AY6 on the same ticket?
Entire ticket is cancellable if one flight have been cancelled and refund for all parts that are not flown.
You can choose from the following options if your flight is cancelled:
  • You can postpone your travel until 30 November, 2020 with no extra cost. During the time when your flight has not been cancelled from the booking, you can go to Manage booking to change your travel date yourself. After the flight is cancelled from our system, you can change your travel dates by contacting our customer service.
  • You can apply for a refund for the unused part of your flight ticket and the purchased travel extras.
  • We do our best to re-route to your destination, but please note that availability of alternative flights is very limited at the moment.
The wording about the refund for unused part is in case some parts of the ticket has been used.

Hitting "cancel" will cancel the ticket, IIRC there will be one "are you sure" stage. You will not be informed about any refund value. You will have to claim it and the value (despite being a full refund) will have to manually be calculated and processed. There was announced a 1 month delay in that process earlier, but also that they are trying to cut that process time to their best ability.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes all on the same ticket - routing was ARN-HEL-JFK-HEL-ARN

Thanks for that. That was what was causing me concern - the unused part - especially as the AY5 on my date (17th) is still operating but the AY6 on the return has been cancelled.

I still have a couple of says to decide what to do.

Many thanks.

EDIT - I decided just to cancel

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 12, 2020 at 3:38 pm
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Superrman
Norway enforcing 14-day home quarantine effective 12MAR 18:00 CET for arrivals from outside Nordic countries (Also applying retroactively for arrivals after 27FEB, 14 days starting from arrival date in Norway, not 14 days starting today in that case.) Non-residents without visible symptoms of COVID-19 can not expect entry.
My boss claimed that Finland was considering the same any day. That would be in addition to the existing recommendation to work from home if at all possible. But while I can see how that would affect somebody who can absolutely not work remotely, I am not sure if it makes much if any difference for somebody who can work from home? Presumably, you're still allowed to go to the supermarket to buy sustenance...

But what about transiting passengers? Or even airline staff?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
We could add a wiki to add specific country information?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:07 am

For quickly evolving data, I think you're better off getting it from the source (airline, government) than from a wiki...
esledo likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Courmisch
My boss claimed that Finland was considering the same any day. That would be in addition to the existing recommendation to work from home if at all possible. But while I can see how that would affect somebody who can absolutely not work remotely, I am not sure if it makes much if any difference for somebody who can work from home? Presumably, you're still allowed to go to the supermarket to buy sustenance...

But what about transiting passengers? Or even airline staff?
EDIT: Link to Norwegian Health Directorate's website regarding the quarantine measures, in Norwegian: https://www.helsedirektoratet.no/nyheter/informasjon-om-karantene-etter-reiser-utenfor-norden

Fřrer og personell av vare- og passasjertransport unntas fra vedtaket. Dette omfatter ogsĺ personell som er nřdvendig for ĺ gjennomfřre transporten.
Virksomhetsledelsen gis adgang til ĺ gjřre unntak for eget nřkkelpersonell nĺr dette er strengt nřdvendig for ĺ opprettholde forsvarlig drift av kritiske samfunnsfunksjoner.
Pilots and personnel of cargo and passenger transport exempted from the decision. So staff/cabin crew should be exempted. Can also make exemptions for key personell when it is critical to ensure proper operation of critical societal functions.

This still does not seem to answer the question regarding transfer pax however.

EDIT 2: Added a link to an English-language site, still no mention of the transit pax issue.
https://www.helsedirektoratet.no/nyheter/information-about-quarantine-after-traveling-outside-the-nordic-countries

Last edited by Superrman; Mar 13, 2020 at 5:13 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Estonia has declared a State of Emergency.

Everybody traveling to Estonia will have to fill out questionaires and border guards have the power to put someone in quarantine.

https://news.err.ee/1063224/estonian...navirus-spread
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:19 am

Singapore has banned recent travelers from Germany, France and Spain (in addition to Italy earlier). I don't suppose it affects Finnair directly... yet... but I'd hardly be surprised if it was extended soon.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Superrman
EDIT:

This still does not seem to answer the question regarding transfer pax however.
Any one have any further information on this?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by jfs5
Any one have any further information on this?
In which country? Finland has not (yet at least) instituted any travel ban in or out, even less through - though it is recommending that residents avoid unnecessary travel (at their own cost).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
In which country? Finland has not (yet at least) instituted any travel ban in or out, even less through - though it is recommending that residents avoid unnecessary travel (at their own cost).
Sorry i should have been clearer.
My question was related to Norway and transiting through OSL.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by jfs5
Sorry i should have been clearer.
My question was related to Norway and transiting through OSL.
This scenario is still not explicitly mentioned in any official communication from Health Directorate, Avinor or OSL Airport...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Switzerland

Switzerland will re-introduce border control and entry may be refused for people coming from risk areas. Transit is fine, if this can be proved.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by florens
Estonia has declared a State of Emergency
Cancelled my SFO-TLL trip on March 17 which would have included Helsinki, London and Dublin afterward. Just too worried I might get stuck in Estonia or Finland and not be able to get home. Moving everything that I can't cancel for free to October and will plan a new trip.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Flight was cancelled. They said they would do best to reroute on their website but when I asked about this, the only offer is a date change. No effort to reroute at all. Very misleading detail.

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Mar 13, 2020 at 12:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.