Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ylefin
Airlines hard hit again, also Finnair.
I have Finnair flights (HEL/TLL) from the U.S. on Tuesday. Hope any U.S. schedule changes get out pretty quickly so I can look at alternate flight options or just to decide to cancel entirely and take a significant hit on hotels/air. Right now AA has some award options with AA or BA to LHR and Finnair on from there that might work and keep my trip intact.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
SGN is cancelled on MAR 25 as I suspected it would be. I suppose they keep the flights until then to pick up the holidaymakers already in SGN?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
UK is exempt. Republic of Irelend not clear - it's neither Mainland europe or Schengen!
So, all is going to be funnelled through UK and Ireland, if anyone would want to go to the US
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Cupart
So, all is going to be funnelled through UK and Ireland, if anyone would want to go to the US
How does that change anything, if your passport is no longer eligible for US entry?

From the US, it might work, as long as airlines don't give up due to low loads.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Some meeting & announcement this afternoon by the Estonian PM.

https://news.err.ee/1062574/reinsalu...-visit-estonia

Quarantine for people from countries where the coronavirus is much more widespread could also be on the table in Estonia, he said.
"Quarantine for people from countries where the coronavirus is much more widespread could also be on the table in Estonia, he said. "

Last edited by florens; Mar 12, 2020 at 2:51 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Any intel of those who are already stuck in India now and visa is cancelled so are they able to return to Finland anyway with no issues?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Courmisch
How does that change anything, if your passport is no longer eligible for US entry?

From the US, it might work, as long as airlines don't give up due to low loads.
AFAIK it is not the passport you hold but where you have been. So if I as a Finnish citizen go to SCL and come back home to ATL they won't refuse me entry.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
AFAIK it is not the passport you hold but where you have been. So if I as a Finnish citizen go to SCL and come back home to ATL they won't refuse me entry.

I for one would not try to pull a "fastone" on US immigration 😂😁

after one gets caught the the few trips wont we so easy 😂😁

just thinking outloud. not so sure how it works but fairly sure border control has some info on travel history...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kauppias
I for one would not try to pull a "fastone" on US immigration 😂😁

after one gets caught the the few trips wont we so easy 😂😁

just thinking outloud. not so sure how it works but fairly sure border control has some info on travel history...
I am not trying to pull fastones, Courmisch seemed to confuse the travel ban with the actual passport you hold, so me doing ATL-SCL-ATL is NOT a risky thing.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: AY LUMO

FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS TO/FROM USA BETWEEN 14 MARCH AND 12 APRIL AND TO/FROM INDIA BETWEEN 15 MARCH AND 14 APRIL

US authorities are setting restrictions for travel from Europe to the USA until 12 April. Indian authorities have updated their visa requirements. We are cancelling flights to/from USA between 14 March - 12 April and to Delhi, India from 15 March to 14 April. We are sorry for the inconvenience these changes may cause you. We follow the situation closely and will update any new information on this page.
https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/flight...travel-updates
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I am not trying to pull fastones, Courmisch seemed to confuse the travel ban with the actual passport you hold, so me doing ATL-SCL-ATL is NOT a risky thing.

👍
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:54 am

Meanwhile, https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/f...eople/11253786
Earlier on Thursday the foreign ministry advised people to avoid all travel abroad as another measure to fight the pandemic.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thanks for posting this. Get in just under the wire for JFK-HEL. One less thing to worry about for this trip.
edited to add: just after posting had an e-mail from Finnair that my flight will operate as schedule - glad to see them being proactive and getting that message out.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Norway enforcing 14-day home quarantine effective 12MAR 18:00 CET for arrivals from outside Nordic countries (Also applying retroactively for arrivals after 27FEB, 14 days starting from arrival date in Norway, not 14 days starting today in that case.) Non-residents without visible symptoms of COVID-19 can not expect entry.

I am 99% sure that this also applies to people who's origin is outside Nordics, but transited within Nordics (HEL...), but this was not clarified in the press conference held ~1 hour ago. Awaiting more info.

So, since I arrived from Delhi-Deli (although with overnight in HEL) on 08MAR, guess I am in home quarantine now

This was announced together with announcement of closure of schools, universities, kindergartens, museums, sports games etc etc etc. Lockdown mode. Air travel in itself not fully closed down however. And intra-Nordic travel still not inhibited.

https://www.helsedirektoratet.no/nyh...ovid-19#reiser
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Help with Cancellation option on the Website

I was due to fly ARN-HEL-JFK on AY5 next Tuesday and return on the AY 6 on 23rd/24th March. I have wrap arond BA flights to/from LHR.

AY5 is operating next Tuesday but the return has been cancelled.

Can I still apply for a full refund or will it be a partial one?. What happens when you press the 'cancel' buton on the AY website? What does it show after hitting it or is that it and the flight are just cancelled with no info on how much you get back?

I do have the rebook option (and have some dates in mind for the early Autumn) but wand to check all my options.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.