Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by florens
I think I scored an own goal.

Booked cheap Z class ZRH-HEL return in July for August. Now Switzerland has >8/100k cases and I can‘t enter Finland.

I want to reboook the ticket to later in 2020 or even 2021 but it is very difficult to find Z class availability. In fact it is literally nonexistent for weekend trips.

I guess my only option is to suck up the fare difference when rebooking to a higher fare bucket at this point. I can‘t ask for a voucher or refund of course.

The flights changed from A321 to A319 so I don‘t expect them to be canceled even though demand is low.

Final decision on what to do will be 7 days out.
Just to follow up on this. I have now rebooked to June 2021 (!) and paid 40 CHF fare difference as I found availability in Z (outbound) and O (inbound), so the fare difference was not very high.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
After 24 Kosovans tested positive arriving from SKP to TKU on a W6 flight on Saturday, our government has now threatened to impose a real quarantine on pax arriving from "risk" countries. What this means in practice, nobody knows.

What is a "risk" country? Any place with over 8 / 100.000 / 14 days?

It's very difficult for me to belive they would actually employ an army of doctors at the airports and order a real quarantine, including full salary as mandated by law, to everyone arriving from any of the countries the government hasn't separately declared "safe". They'd run out of doctors and money. And it's most likely illegal, too, as "A was in country X" is hardly a good enough reason to impose quarantine.

But if they really go forward with this, it will very likely mean more cancellations.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
It's very difficult for me to belive they would actually employ an army of doctors at the airports and order a real quarantine, including full salary as mandated by law, to everyone arriving from any of the countries the government hasn't separately declared "safe". They'd run out of doctors and money. And it's most likely illegal, too, as "A was in country X" is hardly a good enough reason to impose quarantine.
I expect that they will change the law. No need to run out of money.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

After 24 Kosovans tested positive arriving from SKP to TKU on a W6 flight on Saturday, our government has now threatened to impose a real quarantine on pax arriving from "risk" countries. What this means in practice, nobody knows.

What is a "risk" country? Any place with over 8 / 100.000 / 14 days?

But if they really go forward with this, it will very likely mean more cancellations.
Finland will have to raise that 8/100k threshold. It‘s the lowest in Europe (except Ireland) and with cases rising everywhere, soon Finland will be shut for everyone again. Unless that is what Finland wants of course.

For comparison:

Norway: 20/100k
Denmark: 30/100k, 7 days
Switzerland: 60/100k
Baltics: 16/100k
Germany: 50/100k, 7 days

My 5 cents.
ffay005 and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In May, the public opinion in Europe was so sorry for our youth who lost their schools and/or jobs because of confinement, and it was urgent to get as close back to normal societal operations as possible. We all knew that the number of infections would pick up again. The idea was more or less explicitly that high-risk people would have to stay somewhat isolated, while low-risk people would be allowed to live normally and potentially catch the disease.

But public opinion is like a gold fish. It sees that number actually get worse, and wants governments to do something about it. And it's much to tighten the screws on international travelers than on partying youth or on elderly meeting their family.

Of course, the whole plan from May/June is questionable. I guess that there's about a quarter of the population in Finland who's at high-risk, and maybe a third if you also count those living in the same household. How do you isolate so many people? and keep a mostly normal society at the same time?

I'm not exactly clear what they can practically do though. Unless they put the police to controlling quarantined people, it remains voluntary, no matter how hard the recommendation or requirement is stated.
ffay005, Flying Yazata and florens like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I expect that they will change the law. No need to run out of money.
I doubt that that would be legal in the case that somebody went to a green-listed country, that they became red-listed before they return.

And then making a distinction between who was morally responsible for their own quarantine, who was not... seems a bit sketchy as well, from a legal standpoint. But IANAL.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Irresponsible those who fly to SKP these days. My 1 cent.

And stupid government to watch 8/100 factor which is low
Old Aug 11, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash

seems society is in a very I I I mode now, while the govt is in a what should we do mode? we have to do something... moving slow enough to be constantly late 😄🤷‍♀️
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by florens
Finland will have to raise that 8/100k threshold. It‘s the lowest in Europe (except Ireland) and with cases rising everywhere, soon Finland will be shut for everyone again. Unless that is what Finland wants of course.
Well, with that threshold the Finnish capital area is a risk area.

https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006597834.html
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlash

SKP traffic is almost certainly mostly work-related. 8/100k is low given that Uusimaa now exceeds it and it should be proportional to domestic infections, but I would rather have borders closed than society closed. And I say this as a Finn living abroad who travels home regularly.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I'm not exactly clear what they can practically do though. Unless they put the police to controlling quarantined people, it remains voluntary, no matter how hard the recommendation or requirement is stated.
Yes. And at least for now, the statements are partly illegal, too, like claiming that people without other options would need to book hotels for 14 days and pay for those themselves. The law explicitly states that it is the responsibility of the municipality to put up those who are quarantined.
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
SKP traffic is almost certainly mostly work-related.
I flew this route last November. Only two flights, of course, one outbound and one inbound. On those flights, there were no workers. It was almost exclusively large Kosovan families travelling home (Pristina is about 60 km from Skopje by road) and surprisingly many elderly Kosovans who didn't speak any languages known to the staff at TKU.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:34 am

And now the minister of justice says in Helsingin Sanomat that she knows nothing about any quarantines and that there has been no discussion about this in the government. Perhaps once again it's more private thinking by a single minister than anything that is or will become a government-imposed restriction.

https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-200...5ce7fd07c565f2
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I’m happy she’s in the government - repeatedly she’s been toning down the “girls’” more outlandish ideas. Good to have an adult and a lawyer at that in the bunch.

FWIIW I changed my MUC/VIE open jaw to MUC r/t - with DE still being in the nice group. But who knows how it will be in 3 weeks... but I’ll miss my Schnitzel & Sacher binging
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I’m happy she’s in the government - repeatedly she’s been toning down the “girls’” more outlandish ideas. Good to have an adult and a lawyer at that in the bunch.

FWIIW I changed my MUC/VIE open jaw to MUC r/t - with DE still being in the nice group. But who knows how it will be in 3 weeks... but I’ll miss my Schnitzel & Sacher binging
Germany has incidence of 13.3/100k so is overdue to be put on the naughty list. (Source. ECDC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.