Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY COVID-19 - new cancellations in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by lkrt
Actually, my call last week even at this busy time only resulted in a 3-5 minute wait! My Gold friend had the same treatment, although this was the Finnish line indeed.
Used the Tukholman number but it was a surprisingly short wait. I only heard about the "rooms to let for 0,5$" once!

Can also confirm no re-routes are allowed, not even for places like Italy with entire country in quarantine. But they confirm the wanted date-changes very quickly and are also quick to tell the caller that upgrades can be confirmed immediately.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder. I have three waitlisted weekend award bookings to DXB in March-April. My hope is that one of them clears, and then I’ll cancel the two remaining ones.

Now, I have one outbound cleared and one inbound, but not on the same booking. I wonder if Janica could use the Corona change policy and combine these into one 😉 It would be tempting but somehow I don’t feel comfortable requesting that.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
I believe so. This new waiver is general. It affects all bookings, new and old, on routes with or without any disruption. It is designed to make people feel safe to stay with AY. If they cancel a current booking, how likely is it they will come back to AY?

Also, this is the time for people to book summertrips. If people hesitate, the cancellations based on commercial reasons will continue for a long time. So new policy is also ment to get people to book now instead of wait and see.

Compare with eg SK, QR and many others that have introduced this fee-waiver for all bookings.
You can change your travel date flexibly without a change fee and travel until 30 November, 2020, if
  • You made your booking latest on 30 April 2020.
  • Your original travel date is latest on 30 November 2020.
  • You have a Finnair operated and marketed flight on Finnair ticket.
  • There are available seats on your chosen new flight.
  • You make the change by 30 November 2020.

Does this mean the flight shouldn't be fully booked or do I need to find seats in the same booking class?
For example: I can find cheaper tickets for flights within the next 2-3 weeks but the same itinerary during May (because of Icehockey World Championship) is more expensive or during Summer holidays. Could I book tickets for the next week and move these without any extra costs into a later, more costly period or do I have to pay then the difference for the booking class? The statement on the AY website just says seats and not booking class. Does anyone know more?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It means "seat available for sale in that cabin". New ticket will be written in cheapest available booking class. However, if using this generic waiver, you will pay fare difference to the best of my understanding.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder. I have three waitlisted weekend award bookings to DXB in March-April. My hope is that one of them clears, and then I’ll cancel the two remaining ones.

Now, I have one outbound cleared and one inbound, but not on the same booking. I wonder if Janica could use the Corona change policy and combine these into one 😉 It would be tempting but somehow I don’t feel comfortable requesting that.
Please try and report back! OTOH AY has released 500k more award seats so you will probably end up with all 3 award bookings cleared...
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Nordrhein-Wesfahlen is now an area where you shouldn't go to unnecessarily, according to Finnish Foreign Ministry. That means DUS. I am flying there on Friday for simply private (read: drinking) reasons. Would Finnair change my destination to HAM or HAJ instead?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Furry
At least for March flight waivers posted last week it was enough to have a free seat in travel class and no fare difference charged. Could be that this extended waiver is different as I believe it also affects new bookings made from today?
Just called in to cancel my late March flights as I understood from the waiver posted originally on 6th March that cancelling of March flights is also possible free of charge even though your flight is not cancelled (at least yet). Now they said that it's only possible to change the date until 30.11.2020.

Did I understood it incorrectly from the beginning? Their bulletin is updated yesterday so I don't know if the wording have been enhanced or it was my misunderstanding..
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:26 am

I called Finnair. If the flight is not cancelled, you can only change the date. DUS is not cancelled, so either I fly or book new tickets to a new destination using points.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by niksal
I called Finnair. If the flight is not cancelled, you can only change the date. DUS is not cancelled, so either I fly or book new tickets to a new destination using points.
If you don't want to go to DUS now, postpone your trip to, say, September.

(And book a new ticket somewhere else with points for next weekend.)
Old Mar 10, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
If you don't want to go to DUS now, postpone your trip to, say, September.

(And book a new ticket somewhere else with points for next weekend.)
Pretty much my plan.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
Just got some new information from CS today about waivers:

1. Apparently LH routes with a smaller AY marketed leg operated by another carrier (AY codeshare) are now permitted to be changed. I had no chance to test this, though, as I had already done my cancel/rebook maneuver.

2. Perhaps this was obvious, but the postponing waiver also applies to flights departing after 30.4, as long as they are booked before this date. I was also assured that this rebook until 30.11.2020 waiver would be honored for these flights indefinitely, i.e. if you book a flight in September, and the epidemic has died in July, you retain the flexibility until 30.11. Sounds very decent to me.

3. Booking class doesn’t matter as long as there is availability in the same cabin (well, probably voluntary downgrade would be allowed, but this wasn’t something I thought of asking).
Teppo likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:51 pm
Ambassador: Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DrSickle
Just got some new information from CS today about waivers:

1. Apparently LH routes with a smaller AY marketed leg operated by another carrier (AY codeshare) are now permitted to be changed. I had no chance to test this, though, as I had already done my cancel/rebook maneuver.
Thanks, this is interesting news. I’m still not sure what to do (well now I wait) with my next US trip with AA/BA legs sold as AY. The thing is that I’d like to go if the risk of getting stranded is small...looking at the facts Nordic (not yet Finland) is one of the most hit areas in the world, per capita....with Iceland leading the whole world (small pop. but a mathematical fact nevertheless) so you never know when we are on the lists and not welcome to come in to some countries.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by intuition
It means "seat available for sale in that cabin". New ticket will be written in cheapest available booking class. However, if using this generic waiver, you will pay fare difference to the best of my understanding.
Fare difference will not be paid, I have just checked with AY. Also, the number of changes that can be made is not limited so you can push your flight onwards one week at a time if necessary.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Only date changes or can we get refunds?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by deissi
Fare difference will not be paid, I have just checked with AY.
Good to know, the wording on the page was only mentioning fee waiver. I did a rebooking today to flights with only higher fare buckets avilable, but I can't tell what bucket the ticket moved into. Because they do not reissue, they only rewrite the ticket.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Only date changes or can we get refunds?
If you are asking about the general policy change about flexibility it is pretty clear by the published text, posted earlier and on AY webpage.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32159727-post11.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.