Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Change to second daily HKG-HEL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to second daily HKG-HEL flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by deissi
Even the wording of EC261 itself provides that compensation is not due if "the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken." There is certainly an argument to be made that AY, which boasts that its EUR 1 billion cash reserve is more than sufficient to carry it through the epidemic, could have avoided cancelling flights because they were near-empty.
It is not the act of cancellation that is to be tested against the reasonable measures taken criterion. It is the extraordinary circumstances. And it is beyond AY's measures to prevent the circumstance of severe demand drops due to COVID outbreak in multiple EU countries.

The nexus of cause is much easier to defend for AY because a whole lot of airlines are cancelling flights, many more to extents more drastic than AY.

Nonetheless if AY has lousy legal counsel perhaps a few compensation claims will get past.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:38 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by R2
The cancellations announced on Friday were for the period 20-28.3 i.e. at least two weeks in advance hence EC261 stipulated compensations would not apply to these. I expect there to be further similar announcements every week now until demand picks up again.
Definitely that’s their plan, unofficial word from inside AY (cabin crew friend) is that we can expect to see much more flights added to the next update, which is no surprise to anyone I’m sure.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by R2
The cancellations announced on Friday were for the period 20-28.3 i.e. at least two weeks in advance hence EC261 stipulated compensations would not apply to these. I expect there to be further similar announcements every week now until demand picks up again.
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Definitely that’s their plan, unofficial word from inside AY (cabin crew friend) is that we can expect to see much more flights added to the next update, which is no surprise to anyone I’m sure.
One interesting effect of this plan, is that one end of a trip falls under one waiver rule while the other end has not yet. Eg a BLQ-HKG is now open for a rebooking because cancellation of one AY101/102. However, BLQ is not yet on the Italy waiver, as they have not yet moved into the summer season where BLQ opens. So technically people can rebook the HKG-part of that trip today only to find out that the BLQ-HEL-leg is cancelled tomorrow...
BLQ-HEL seems to already be zeroed out in inventory at least for april, but technically flights are not cancelled until they move that 2-week window one notch forward.

Last edited by intuition; Mar 10, 2020 at 2:47 am
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: UA-1K 3MM, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium Life Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This morning I received an email from Finnair stating that my April 8th and 29th BLQ-HEL-BLQ have been canceled and that I could rebook or get a complete refund.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
I'm scheduled to fly on AY100 in a few Friday's time, connecting from BKK with CX (AY 5098). Just received a mail from CX that the flight has been cancelled.
I booked through AY and have not heard a word from AY as of yet (the cancellation mail came yesterday afternoon from CX) and the booking is still showing up on all my devices as normal (and same on EF). When checking CX, the flight is in deed no longer there (the 16:00 departure from BKK) but a 12:25 departure.

When clicking "change flights" the 16:00 BKK-HKG is still showing as an option but the new potential connection from HEL-ZRH only shows the afternoon flight, and I don't want to spend 10 hours in the HEL Schengen lounge at any cost... The 07:55 departure is still available...

Short of the long: If I change to the 12:25 BKK-HKG flight, my HEL-ZRH flight will change from comfortable 07:55 to 16:30 even though there is no schedule change for AY100... This is a mess!

Last edited by Cupart; Mar 13, 2020 at 1:14 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:25 am
R2

If these HK Government plans are confirmed the remaining AY service to HKG will probably also get the axe very soon:
Hong Kong will dramatically expand quarantine requirements to cover nearly all arrivals from Europe, except Britain and Ireland, the Post learned on Friday, as the number of coronavirus infections continued to rise in Italy and neighbouring countries.

A source familiar with the city government’s thinking said travellers from countries under the Schengen region, a zone of visa-free travel that encompasses 26 states, including Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Switzerland, would be placed under a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ve-coronavirus
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by R2
If these HK Government plans are confirmed the remaining AY service to HKG will probably also get the axe very soon:

Understandably so, more cases in Finland than in HKG... things can really turn around quickly...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Understandably so, more cases in Finland than in HKG... things can really turn around quickly...
No one really knows the numbers - if you don t test a lot like the US or Japan your numbers are low, if you do a lot of tests your numbers are high like South Korea - this whole thing just leaves too much for speculations.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Unhappy

Originally Posted by R2

Those plans are confirmed now. 14 days compulsory home quarantine for the passengers arriving from the Schengen Area. My plans for the next HKG trip just failed. Must find new days for the trip, or maybe even request the refund...

https://www.news.gov.hk/eng/2020/03/...22422_610.html
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I'm guessing SG will follow. Supposed to fly there on Tuesday and with a passport issued by an already barred country
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size
No one really knows the numbers - if you don t test a lot like the US or Japan your numbers are low, if you do a lot of tests your numbers are high like South Korea - this whole thing just leaves too much for speculations.
True, but it’s still a fact at the moment that Europe is more of a hotspot than SE Asia. HKG has been dealing with this longer time and still managed to keep things under some control, unlike most of Europe. In this light it makes sense that us Europeans are now the ones who are soon, or already, banned everywhere
remymartin, esledo and Superrman like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Can they just keep AY100 until Friday? Currently stuck in quarantine(without the virus, but these guys are being super cautious) in Vietnam until the 20th, and that was my flight out.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by jj_lgkr
Can they just keep AY100 until Friday? Currently stuck in quarantine(without the virus, but these guys are being super cautious) in Vietnam until the 20th, and that was my flight out.
I hope so I am supposed to fly AY99 Friday and back with the same plane 😂😂
jj_lgkr likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I couldn't figure out if transiting through HKIA is still allowed, or would they put you in quarantine? Have flights booked to SIN with CX for Easter, but starting to lose hope that I can actually make it there and back. At this point in time, looks like it would be safer in Asia from the virus pow than staying in Europe...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
It's still 4 weeks until Easter. Even if you could find definite answers what the current HKSAR transit policy is, that wouldn't exactly help. Plus, I expect SG ICA to ban Finnish residents anytime soon as they have French, German and Spanish yesterday. No point transiting in HKG to be denied entry in SIN.

As the French saying goes, it's urgent to wait.
NoWindowSeat, Fims and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.