Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand flight waivers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Off-Topic Warning! Just noticed the title of the thread, "Thailand fight waivers?". Maybe a Freudian slip?
Ed Size and intuition like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum
If rescheduling a flight due to coronavirus does anyone know if the new flights need to have availability in the same (or certain) fare buckets or if it's ok to reschedule as long as there's any availability in the relevant compartment?

Feels bad having to potentially postpone my BKK flight as it was purchased from the double points campaign last autumn, which requires flying prior to end of March 2020. Looks like corona will cost me 30k points...
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
According to Bangkok post the statement was rescinded shortly afterwards. Tourism here in Khao Lak continues. It's maybe a bit quieter but not considerably so. We come home with AY on Tuesday
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:13 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by loimu
If rescheduling a flight due to coronavirus does anyone know if the new flights need to have availability in the same (or certain) fare buckets or if it's ok to reschedule as long as there's any availability in the relevant compartment?

Feels bad having to potentially postpone my BKK flight as it was purchased from the double points campaign last autumn, which requires flying prior to end of March 2020. Looks like corona will cost me 30k points...
Just go, Thailand and most of Asia looks in much better shape virus wise than Europe. AY just sent an email promoting travel to Bangkok...
loimu likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by steve170461
According to Bangkok post the statement was rescinded shortly afterwards. Tourism here in Khao Lak continues. It's maybe a bit quieter but not considerably so. We come home with AY on Tuesday
It´s all a little unclear - this is Bangkok Post from today 3/5/2020

It was also confirmed that healthy people returning from Covid-19 risk countries will be quarantined at specific and guarded facilities - the countries and facilities still to be announced.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...covid-19-cases

TAT on the other also released a statement today - not talking about quarantine regulations

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tats...ffected-areas/

I love Thailand - I really do.

Last edited by Ed Size; Mar 5, 2020 at 6:43 am
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Ed Size
It´s all a little unclear - this is Bangkok Post from today 3/5/2020

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...covid-19-cases

not a good sign for people arriving here
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Seems like a 14-day self-quarantine for travellers arriving from Hong Kong, Macau, China, South Korea, Italy and Iran has now been made official: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20S1SV

I would imagine that this will affect any passengers connecting from Italy - I wonder if Finnair will only let them change the dates of travel?

Hopefully the coronavirus situation will take a turn for the better instead of getting worse, and that Thailand won't add more countries to the list.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Just go, Thailand and most of Asia looks in much better shape virus wise than Europe. AY just sent an email promoting travel to Bangkok...
The issue is not Thailand per se, but the Thai handling of inbound pax - in this case from SIN, that was and is ambiguous. A local friend opined that the junta tries to boost hotel occupancy this way (quarantine) though it doesn’t make any sense. His answer - that’s the Thai junta for you.

would you go from SIN to BKK for a meeting, having read these two pieces?

The nine countries are Japan, Germany, South Korea, China, Taiwan, France, Singapore, Italy and Iran. The two territories are Hong Kong and Macau, according to the announcement, coming in effect when it is published in the Royal Gazette.

and

Dr Suwannachai said that healthy people returning from Covid-19 risk countries would be quarantined at specific and guarded facilities. Previous returnees were being monitored.”

I chickened out - rather two extra days in SIN than 2 weeks in a guarded facility in Thailand.
NoWindowSeat and intuition like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:46 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The issue is not Thailand per se, but the Thai handling of inbound pax - in this case from SIN, that was and is ambiguous. A local friend opined that the junta tries to boost hotel occupancy this way (quarantine) though it doesn’t make any sense. His answer - that’s the Thai junta for you.

would you go from SIN to BKK for a meeting, having read these two pieces?

The nine countries are Japan, Germany, South Korea, China, Taiwan, France, Singapore, Italy and Iran. The two territories are Hong Kong and Macau, according to the announcement, coming in effect when it is published in the Royal Gazette.

and

Dr Suwannachai said that healthy people returning from Covid-19 risk countries would be quarantined at specific and guarded facilities. Previous returnees were being monitored.”

I chickened out - rather two extra days in SIN than 2 weeks in a guarded facility in Thailand.
No, definitely I would not go from any of the listed countries but I would go from HEL as things are at the moment, if needed/was planning to. In your shoes from SIN absolutely not.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by skiaplg
I would imagine that this will affect any passengers connecting from Italy - I wonder if Finnair will only let them change the dates of travel?
It's kinda moot at this point, as all Finnair flights in March can be postponed for free. (And I just got a mail from KLM doing the same for March and April, even though I don't have an outstanding booking with them.)

Originally Posted by skiaplg
Hopefully the coronavirus situation will take a turn for the better instead of getting worse, and that Thailand won't add more countries to the list.
This is wishful thinking. The situation is worsening and will continue to worsen in Europe (and North America). France, Germany, and I guess soon Spain, are going fully epidemic. I'd be surprised if communal transmission did not spread to Northern Europe by the end of the month.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Courmisch
It's kinda moot at this point, as all Finnair flights in March can be postponed for free. (And I just got a mail from KLM doing the same for March and April, even though I don't have an outstanding booking with them.) This is wishful thinking. The situation is worsening and will continue to worsen in Europe (and North America). France, Germany, and I guess soon Spain, are going fully epidemic. I'd be surprised if communal transmission did not spread to Northern Europe by the end of the month.
Problem is, AY won t change your flight if you have one leg or more on codeshare (only if marketed and operated by AY they change the flights). So it is a good move but don t help everyone.

Last edited by Ed Size; Mar 6, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Problem is, AY won t change your flight if you have one leg or more on codeshare (only if marketed and operated by AY they change the flights). So it is a good move but don t help anyone.
You self-centric much? Just because it does not help you does not mean it does not help anyone. I bet the majority of Finnair tickets to/from Thailand don't involve the domestic PG code-shares, or any code-share for that matter.

And I'd suppose that the reason why the waivers don't work for codeshares is a lack of such option from the operating carrier toward Finnair.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:38 am
Original Poster

You self-centric much? Just because it does not help you does not mean it does not help anyone. I bet the majority of Finnair tickets to/from Thailand don't involve the domestic PG code-shares, or any code-share for that matter.

And I'd suppose that the reason why the waivers don't work for codeshares is a lack of such option from the operating carrier toward Finnair.
Sure if I talk about experiences I only can be self-centric - my ticket involved CX codeshares, others have the problem with BA or AA codeshare.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
You self-centric much?
Maybe 'any' was supposed to be everyone ('jeder')?
Ed Size likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Maybe 'any' was supposed to be everyone ('jeder')?
Language barrier here - it was clearly meant "jederman" from my side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.