AY+ Hotel Vouchers

Old Mar 20, 19, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
AY+ Hotel Vouchers

Does anyone have any experience with redeeming AY+ points for hotel vouchers? I did a search and found nothing.

I'm looking at the Finnair Shop website, and for example, a voucher for a serenity room at the St. George can be purchased for 1,000 points + 151€. Similarly, a voucher for a deluxe room at the Hotel Kamp is 1,000 points + 156€. A comfort room at the Lilla Roberts is 1,000 points + 121€. These seem like they could potentially be good deals, depending on dates and season.

1. Are there any restrictions besides the few blackout dates listed on the website (3-5 Dec)?
2. Can the voucher be used as long as any room in the applicable category is available, or are there other restrictions?
3. Is it right to assume that to redeem the voucher you have to call the hotel?
4. Is it also correct to assume that any benefits (through Marriott or Hyatt) are not applicable when using these vouchers?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20, 19, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
At least for Sokos-Hotels availability you can search using booking code "AYPLUS"

Details here:
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/sokos-hotels
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
My experience so far is limited to Sokos and Scandic.

Sokos is really easy to check and book online as mentioned before, but you can book only max. 2 months in advance.

With Scandic you need to call and you are limited to the week-ends, but you can do bookings well in advance.

Both have only a limited availability for redemptions.
flyingeph12 and FFlash like this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by temppa View Post
At least for Sokos-Hotels availability you can search using booking code "AYPLUS"

Details here:
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/sokos-hotels
Thanks. No such details for the Kämp group of hotels, though. Interesting that the Sokos vouchers are only good for six months (although if they are good for any available standard room then I would probably be ok with that).
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:11 am

Interesting that the Sokos vouchers are only good for six months (although if they are good for any available standard room then I would probably be ok with that).
There is no need for the vouchers when you book, only when you actually redeem, i.e. at check-in.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
There is no need for the vouchers when you book, only when you actually redeem, i.e. at check-in.
Thanks! Even better. I suppose I should make a call to the hotel(s) in which I’m interested and see if they have more info.
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience with redeeming AY+ points for hotel vouchers? I did a search and found nothing.

I'm looking at the Finnair Shop website, and for example, a voucher for a serenity room at the St. George can be purchased for 1,000 points + 151€. Similarly, a voucher for a deluxe room at the Hotel Kamp is 1,000 points + 156€. A comfort room at the Lilla Roberts is 1,000 points + 121€. These seem like they could potentially be good deals, depending on dates and season.

1. Are there any restrictions besides the few blackout dates listed on the website (3-5 Dec)?
2. Can the voucher be used as long as any room in the applicable category is available, or are there other restrictions?
4. Is it also correct to assume that any benefits (through Marriott or Hyatt) are not applicable when using these vouchers?

Thanks in advance.
To answer some of my own questions:

I decided to go with the Hotel St. George for 1,000 points + 151,53€ per night, which includes breakfast. As a point of comparison, the advance purchase rate, including breakfast, for my stay was 255€ per night—so not bad!

I had to call the hotel to make the reservation, and they asked for the voucher number on the phone (but no credit card needed). The reservation agent put my Marriott number in the reservation but said that I might not receive any Marriott benefits since it's a Finnair booking (makes sense).

I had no issues with availability on the dates I wanted (during the week, no weekends). The voucher does, however, state: "Availability may be limited depending on the reservation situation, as there are a limited number of rooms at award night prices. This award voucher is valid for six months from the date of issue."
ffay005, FFlash, temppa and 4 others like this.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Mar 21, 19 at 1:47 am
Old Mar 21, 19, 3:55 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
To answer some of my own questions:

I decided to go with the Hotel St. George for 1,000 points + 151,53€ per night, which includes breakfast. As a point of comparison, the advance purchase rate, including breakfast, for my stay was 255€ per night—so not bad!

I had to call the hotel to make the reservation, and they asked for the voucher number on the phone (but no credit card needed). The reservation agent put my Marriott number in the reservation but said that I might not receive any Marriott benefits since it's a Finnair booking (makes sense).

I had no issues with availability on the dates I wanted (during the week, no weekends). The voucher does, however, state: "Availability may be limited depending on the reservation situation, as there are a limited number of rooms at award night prices. This award voucher is valid for six months from the date of issue."
Many thanks for the data point! This is a potential sweet spot to check whenever hotel prices in Helsinki go crazy.
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:41 am

Do you know if you can change the reservation without any additional cost?

Also their procedure means that you can book max. 6 months in advance. But that should be enough most of the times.
Old Mar 21, 19, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
Do you know if you can change the reservation without any additional cost?

Also their procedure means that you can book max. 6 months in advance. But that should be enough most of the times.
It is cancellable/changeable until 18:00 day before arrival. Otherwise the voucher is forfeited.
FFlash and Clydez like this.