FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   AY+ Hotel Vouchers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1961696-ay-hotel-vouchers.html)

flyingeph12 Mar 20, 2019 12:58 am

AY+ Hotel Vouchers

Does anyone have any experience with redeeming AY+ points for hotel vouchers? I did a search and found nothing.

I'm looking at the Finnair Shop website, and for example, a voucher for a serenity room at the St. George can be purchased for 1,000 points + 151€. Similarly, a voucher for a deluxe room at the Hotel Kamp is 1,000 points + 156€. A comfort room at the Lilla Roberts is 1,000 points + 121€. These seem like they could potentially be good deals, depending on dates and season.

1. Are there any restrictions besides the few blackout dates listed on the website (3-5 Dec)?
2. Can the voucher be used as long as any room in the applicable category is available, or are there other restrictions?
3. Is it right to assume that to redeem the voucher you have to call the hotel?
4. Is it also correct to assume that any benefits (through Marriott or Hyatt) are not applicable when using these vouchers?

Thanks in advance.

temppa Mar 20, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30907948)

At least for Sokos-Hotels availability you can search using booking code "AYPLUS"

Details here:
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/sokos-hotels

Jainzar Mar 20, 2019 8:54 am

My experience so far is limited to Sokos and Scandic.

Sokos is really easy to check and book online as mentioned before, but you can book only max. 2 months in advance.

With Scandic you need to call and you are limited to the week-ends, but you can do bookings well in advance.

Both have only a limited availability for redemptions.

flyingeph12 Mar 20, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by temppa (Post 30908507)
At least for Sokos-Hotels availability you can search using booking code "AYPLUS"

Details here:
https://www.finnairshop.com/en/sokos-hotels

Thanks. No such details for the Kämp group of hotels, though. Interesting that the Sokos vouchers are only good for six months (although if they are good for any available standard room then I would probably be ok with that).

Jainzar Mar 20, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30909141)
Interesting that the Sokos vouchers are only good for six months (although if they are good for any available standard room then I would probably be ok with that).

There is no need for the vouchers when you book, only when you actually redeem, i.e. at check-in.

flyingeph12 Mar 20, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar (Post 30909194)
There is no need for the vouchers when you book, only when you actually redeem, i.e. at check-in.

Thanks! Even better. I suppose I should make a call to the hotel(s) in which I’m interested and see if they have more info.

flyingeph12 Mar 21, 2019 1:41 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30907948)
Does anyone have any experience with redeeming AY+ points for hotel vouchers? I did a search and found nothing.

I'm looking at the Finnair Shop website, and for example, a voucher for a serenity room at the St. George can be purchased for 1,000 points + 151€. Similarly, a voucher for a deluxe room at the Hotel Kamp is 1,000 points + 156€. A comfort room at the Lilla Roberts is 1,000 points + 121€. These seem like they could potentially be good deals, depending on dates and season.

1. Are there any restrictions besides the few blackout dates listed on the website (3-5 Dec)?
2. Can the voucher be used as long as any room in the applicable category is available, or are there other restrictions?
4. Is it also correct to assume that any benefits (through Marriott or Hyatt) are not applicable when using these vouchers?

Thanks in advance.

To answer some of my own questions:

I decided to go with the Hotel St. George for 1,000 points + 151,53€ per night, which includes breakfast. As a point of comparison, the advance purchase rate, including breakfast, for my stay was 255€ per night—so not bad!

I had to call the hotel to make the reservation, and they asked for the voucher number on the phone (but no credit card needed). The reservation agent put my Marriott number in the reservation but said that I might not receive any Marriott benefits since it's a Finnair booking (makes sense).

I had no issues with availability on the dates I wanted (during the week, no weekends). The voucher does, however, state: "Availability may be limited depending on the reservation situation, as there are a limited number of rooms at award night prices. This award voucher is valid for six months from the date of issue."

FFlash Mar 21, 2019 3:55 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30911975)
To answer some of my own questions:

I decided to go with the Hotel St. George for 1,000 points + 151,53€ per night, which includes breakfast. As a point of comparison, the advance purchase rate, including breakfast, for my stay was 255€ per night—so not bad!

I had to call the hotel to make the reservation, and they asked for the voucher number on the phone (but no credit card needed). The reservation agent put my Marriott number in the reservation but said that I might not receive any Marriott benefits since it's a Finnair booking (makes sense).

I had no issues with availability on the dates I wanted (during the week, no weekends). The voucher does, however, state: "Availability may be limited depending on the reservation situation, as there are a limited number of rooms at award night prices. This award voucher is valid for six months from the date of issue."

Many thanks for the data point! This is a potential sweet spot to check whenever hotel prices in Helsinki go crazy.

Jainzar Mar 21, 2019 5:41 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30911975)

Do you know if you can change the reservation without any additional cost?

Also their procedure means that you can book max. 6 months in advance. But that should be enough most of the times.

flyingeph12 Mar 21, 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar (Post 30912427)
Do you know if you can change the reservation without any additional cost?

Also their procedure means that you can book max. 6 months in advance. But that should be enough most of the times.

It is cancellable/changeable until 18:00 day before arrival. Otherwise the voucher is forfeited.

FFlash Nov 9, 2021 4:27 am

Just noticed that Scandic 1000p minimum offer is not too bad for a cheapo stay in an expensive place. Ordered one for 74€ where regular hotel pricing went well over 100, and the booking is refundable.

Sokos is there too, but not attractive anymore.

intuition Nov 9, 2021 5:09 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 33713861)
Just noticed that Scandic 1000p minimum offer is not too bad for a cheapo stay in an expensive place. Ordered one for 74€ where regular hotel pricing went well over 100, and the booking is refundable.

Sokos is there too, but not attractive anymore.

Did they actually send you a voucher or did they just take your money and points?

WilcoRoger Nov 9, 2021 5:47 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 33713861)

The 1000p deals are often a very good value for the points (not so much if you pay more with points) if you have use of the vouchers. Helsinki restaurants and AY shopping vouchers (when there were onboard sales) are another good usage.

FFlash Nov 9, 2021 5:56 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 33713917)
Did they actually send you a voucher or did they just take your money and points?

both😎
emailed the voucher. Then ast checkin, maybe a poor scanidc receptionist says, I dunno know this paper sir you have no room here😁😁😁

intuition Nov 9, 2021 7:16 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 33714005)
both😎
emailed the voucher. Then ast checkin, maybe a poor scanidc receptionist says, I dunno know this paper sir you have no room here😁😁😁

Haha, at least you had a paper to wipe behind with