Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Efficient ways to earn Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Value is, as the name implies, good value! Full points for only about €20 more per segment.

AY has entered into a legal cartel agreement (they call it joint venture) with other airlines for Japan, the US, Canada and Mexico. Thus, the AY ticket type concept does not apply if you fly from Europe* to these markets. However, the AY ticket types apply if you fly to these markets from outside Europe. That's why you can buy a Value ticket from India to the US, for example.

* Europe in this context excludes Russia, Belarus and probably the Ukraine, too.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
After DevAAluation the best points per euro comes from CX Core fares.
Steve_Hun and Superrman like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by aama
After DevAAluation the best points per euro comes from CX Core fares.
LHR-HKG (and vice versa) with CX Core (booking class V) translates to 9606 AY+ points. CDG 9604, BRU 9368, AMS 9274. More points than AY Value tix for anyone without Plat earning bonus (8000 Basic, 8800 Silver, 9200 Gold), assuming fares are comparably priced, positioning etc.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Now that Finnair has started codesharing on AA flights to Hawaii there are some interesting point accrual possibilities on AY coded business class flights to USA as well. For example this kind of trip would generate 62168 points as a Basic and 77720 points as a Plat. That should be more than 30 points per € with a price of ~2000€. I think one can even get a few more points by flying with a routing of ARN-HEL-LHR-LAX-HNL and back for the same price.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by lkrt
I remember someone saying that Finnair Holidays book into Value fares?
I checked the points earning question with the Finnair Holidays customer service last year. According to them the points accrual will be based on the fare class letter (which also will be visible at some point when making a booking) and not on the Basic/Value etc. scale. Of course there's still the possibility that the agent was wrong but he definitely seemed to understand my question and sounded like he knew what he was talking about and not guessing.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
So we got a Hawaii-DO up here for takes
napapiiri likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, IHG Diamond, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
Excellent idea!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
I’m still waiting for that direct HEL-HNL...
florens likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
This is a question that I've been thinking quite a lot as well. Here's my plan but first one comment:

Buying LH value tickets is definitely a good value that surprised me when I found it. However sometimes you can find a price in semiobscure OTA that is a lot cheaper than from AY page. There you can't buy value. We are going to PVR (Puerto Vallarta) and the tickets were 550€ for a short period of time. Same time AY price 750€.

So doing HEL-OUL-HEL was not an option for me since I can't justify such waste of time. I'm Also doing a delhi MR doesn't sound very tempting, cos I still don't like flying in Y very much. Also I consider India a shithole country that I try to avoid in every possible way. So the destination would need to be interesting, and the expenses relatively moderate. One has to consider the price of hotels in Hawaii for example.

So I'm gonna do ARN-HEL-MIA-HEL-ARN in J. That ticket was 1180€. A separate ticket HEL-ARN-HEL was 68€. We're gonna stay overnight in an airport hotel, 48€, since I didn't have balls to book same plane return, and it's nice to enjoy the breakfast in ARN lounge too. This will give around 40k in silver right?
2nd flight is gonna be TAL-HEL-BKK-HKG-HEL-TAL in J. 1580€. Would have been 100€ cheaper without that HKG leg, but it's nice to try CX A350. TAL is easy and cheap to reach by ferry (surprisingly expensive by flying btw!). Around 40k points (as gold) as well.

Adding to that HEL-PVR-HEL 8800 points and some irregular shorthauls will get me to 100k. The changing 150k award points (of which 100k I get from these same flights) for the rest 50k will do it. 50k award points is relatively easy to do with credit card payments.

I like this plan, because the destinations are actually something where I want to go. I dislike the fact that those flights are anyway quite a lot more than flying in Y like a norman human being.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kanamurva
2nd flight is gonna be TAL-HEL-BKK-HKG-HEL-TAL in J. 1580€. Would have been 100€ cheaper without that HKG leg, but it's nice to try CX A350. TAL is easy and cheap to reach by ferry (surprisingly expensive by flying btw!). Around 40k points (as gold) as well.
Given that TAL is located at the Yukon river in Alaska, we are really interested in your easy and cheap ferry trip. Any trip report coming?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Given that TAL is located at the Yukon river in Alaska, we are really interested in your easy and cheap ferry trip.
LOL, sorry! I have really problems with these abbreviations! So far I've properly managed to learn HEL, ARN & MIA...
FFlash likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
LOL, sorry! I have really problems with these abbreviations! So far I've properly managed to learn HEL, ARN & MIA...

In this hobby you learn them quite fast 😀😀 some know them better then airport staff 😂

Airline codes as well
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by kauppias
In this hobby you learn them quite fast 😀😀 some know them better then airport staff 😂

Airline codes as well
It is indeed useful to know airprot codes. I always check the bag labels too at checkin. Just to make sure they are heading where I am heading.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by ffay005
AY has entered into a legal cartel agreement (they call it joint venture) with other airlines for Japan, the US, Canada and Mexico. Thus, the AY ticket type concept does not apply if you fly from Europe* to these markets. However, the AY ticket types apply if you fly to these markets from outside Europe. That's why you can buy a Value ticket from India to the US, for example.
Aha, I see. It would have been nice with 100% points with Japan flights as well, but I guess it doesn't matter that much if I do mileage runs with cheap J tickets anyway. Then I can use the points and vouchers from that to upgrade my Japan flights since J tickets to Japan are so expensive...

I have a similar run planned actually, but I'm doing TLL-HEL-HKG-BKK-HKG-HEL-TLL. Stopping twice in HKG compared to once made virtually no difference in ticket price in my case so I just added that for the extra points.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: AY LUMO
However sometimes you can find a price in semiobscure OTA that is a lot cheaper than from AY page. There you can't buy value. We are going to PVR (Puerto Vallarta) and the tickets were 550€ for a short period of time.

Adding to that HEL-PVR-HEL 8800 points
How You get 8800 points HEL-PVR-HEL ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.