Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mpkz
The following AY short and middle haul flights are currently operated by widebodies:
AY1331/1332 HEL-LHR-HEL, A359, D
AY1337/1338 HEL-LHR-HEL, A333, D

AY1411/1412 HEL-FRA-HEL, A359, 6 (until 29OCT22)

AY1963/1964 HEL-DXB-HEL, A330, 135 (during winter 22-23)

As a rule, service will be the usual AY shorthaul concept both in Y and J, with the exception of IFE (available free of charge to all, with cheap in-ear headphones provided in J and Y) and internet (longhaul rules apply, ie Plats get free wifi for the duration of the flight, Golds and J get one hour). Y+ seats are sold as extra legroom seats with no special service, but cannot be chosen free of charge unless you're Plat or Lumo.

DXB is an exception, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...dubai-dxb.html for details.

Print Wikipost

Widebodies on non-longhaul flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Sat 07SEP19 and 14SEP19 AY1337/1338 is A359.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:10 am

Today AY1415/1416 HEL-FRA-HEL and tomorrow AY1301/1302 HEL-AMS-HEL is A333
ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
So did your office move

damn if these were just somehow early available for planning.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash
So did your office move

damn if these were just somehow early available for planning.
Switch was made this morning.

And HEL-BRU-HEL was also today A333 due to 321 went tech in Brussels.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
There's an additional perk on SH widebodies for us mere mortals (ie not lumotics): they have LH wifi, which is free (albeit slow) for lowly Plats for the duration fo the flight.
remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by juhanh
There's an additional perk on SH widebodies for us mere mortals (ie not lumotics): they have LH wifi, which is free (albeit slow) for lowly Plats for the duration fo the flight.
I'm sure they're working hard to enhance this.
esledo, Purjelentaja and juhanh like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Dang, miss the AMS flight by two days
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
Switch was made this morning.

And HEL-BRU-HEL was also today A333 due to 321 went tech in Brussels.
Interesting is there any data available when one goes to tech, so needs to be replaced.
i assume that would be a compensation case - where you bought on A333 and they served A321

and is that somehow - that certain planes fly only certain routes - a la sertain HEL-HKG and HEL-BKK flights are always served with the same planes?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by spek
Interesting is there any data available when one goes to tech, so needs to be replaced.
I guess that could be valuable data to sell to AY.

i assume that would be a compensation case - where you bought on A333 and they served A321
Customer buys transportation from Airport A to Airport B. Switch of the aircraft is not compensated.

and is that somehow - that certain planes fly only certain routes -
No, all aircrats are rotated in network.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
No, all aircrats are rotated in network.
There are some limitations, though. AY can't send ad-hoc a widebody to a destination that is usually operated by narrowbodies with a change of crew at the outstation as they wouldn't have enough crew waiting at the outstation.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
AY can't send ad-hoc a widebody to a destination that is usually operated by narrowbodies with a change of crew at the outstation as they wouldn't have enough crew waiting at the outstation.
Couldn't they send the additional crew as passengers on the outbound flight? then they would make up the numbers to operate the return flight.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:03 am

There are some limitations, though. AY can't send ad-hoc a widebody to a destination that is usually operated by narrowbodies with a change of crew at the outstation as they wouldn't have enough crew waiting at the outstation.
And let's not forget that some of the smaller airports may not even be able to handle widebody aircrafts: larger planes need longer runways and the size might be also issue at gates or remote stands.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by riku2
Couldn't they send the additional crew as passengers on the outbound flight? then they would make up the numbers to operate the return flight.
Last winter, my HEL-LPA was delayed 4 hours. The crew waited with us, and they would have timed out at 16 hours. This would mean that AY could, in fact, operate flights to the Canaries or DXB without a change of crew (and they've done this back when they operated a single weekly to LPA in the summer). But I guess they have some kind of a deal, more or less official, that for these ~6 hour destinations, the crew will only work one-way.

Whether they could send deadheading FAs to the Canaries and then immediately send them back, working the flight, I don't really know. I guess they could, in theory at least. HEL-LPA-HEL is not that much longer timewise, with the layover included, than the longest AY longhaul flights.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Last winter, my HEL-LPA was delayed 4 hours. The crew waited with us, and they would have timed out at 16 hours. This would mean that AY could, in fact, operate flights to the Canaries or DXB without a change of crew (and they've done this back when they operated a single weekly to LPA in the summer). But I guess they have some kind of a deal, more or less official, that for these ~6 hour destinations, the crew will only work one-way.
Operating a crew pairing consisting of two 6-hour legs would mean ~15 hours duty day (1+6+1+6+1) for the whole crew. Cabin and cockpit flight duty will not begin at actual flight departure time but 1 hour before and end 30 mins after last flight. Long days like these would be very expensive for an airline in terms of overtime compensations and extended rest periods after duty. Simultaneously in a case of a "small delay" of 1-2 hours they would very easily violate current EASA duty and rest time regulations - which the airline can not evade.
Not a stable solution IRL.
ffay005 and esledo like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
[OT] If there is a will, there is a way.
Watch a MH A380 (MSN100) flying shuttle to PMI, where a jumbo can't even go near the terminal and so they need to bus and tarmac board 500 pax each way.
https://www.flightradar24.com/MAS8491/

I wonder what the Cook crowd thinks when they find themselves in the F cabin ... (according to some online articles they whine because they are shipped home for free but end up MAN instead ot LGW)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.