Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Widebody service to Dubai DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:46 am

Just talked to CS. Janica says they have updated their policy today, no hotel compensation granted for missed domestic connection on inbound leg.
Another Janica last week said they would provide hotel in HEL.
So my DXB trip is basically screwed. I don't feel for waiting 4 hours until lounge opens, neither paying for a hotel room the needed hours. 🤢
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Hotel has to be provided according to EU 261 regulation anyway? It is part of duty of care.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:27 am

Well I guess they are trying to claim extraordinary circumstances to avoid their EU261 obligations. The offer for me today was to cancel with full refund OR take the domestic morning flight without any hotel room provided.
My trip is in mid March. Can AY still call it extraordinary then? Or how long can a situation be extraordinary by definition?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Why would there be a time limit on extraordinary circumstances? Wars and volcanic eruptions can last for years...

IMO, the more relevant question is what can Finnair not provide on the basis on giving more two weeks advance notice? Does EC261 require anything than an offer for a full refund?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by florens
Hotel has to be provided according to EU 261 regulation anyway? It is part of duty of care.
There's a 14 day cutoff for EC261 compensation. I don't remember if this 14 day cutoff extends to something else, too. But I would assume that if an airline, at, say, several months' notice, changes its schedule to force an overnight, your options are to accept it (and pay the costs out of your pocket), or get a full refund. It would be really interesting to hear what the rule actually is in a case like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
There's a 14 day cutoff for EC261 compensation. I don't remember if this 14 day cutoff extends to something else, too. But I would assume that if an airline, at, say, several months' notice, changes its schedule to force an overnight, your options are to accept it (and pay the costs out of your pocket), or get a full refund. It would be really interesting to hear what the rule actually is in a case like this.
This seems to be the case. They are offering full refund or change to other dates.
I've harassed CS, but they have had "policy update" regarding DXB issues this week so no hotel.
They didn't mention the 14 days cutoff, just that Iranian airspace isn't anything Finnar can do anything about.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

After being on AY1961 today, I have to say that the soft product has been hugely downgraded from what it was last season, just like the reports here prove. And even if I knew what to expect, it was still a letdown.

Furthermore, while I understand that AY's costs have increased with the current situation in Iran and they probably don't want to spend any extra money, I still can't help but to compare HEL-DXB (flight time today 7 hours) to HEL-DEL, which has (almost) full-service J. On the other hand, prices on the DXB route are significantly lower, both in euros and in points, so maybe a comparison isn't fair.

Today's flight was A330. OH-LTP came in an hour late from BKK but departed more or less on schedule to DXB. The cabin was a lot less worn out than many A330s.

Predeparture drinks consisted of plastic cups of water.

No memory foam pillows. No socks. No water bottles. For the two last ones, the FAs blatantly lied and finally brought me the socks that weren't an issue last year. Of course they have socks on board, it's not like they remove them after the plane gets in from BKK... The 0.5 L water bottles I saw an FA carrying were apparently not meant for Ffay005, and there, I didn't argue, but instead asked for a big glass of water. Well, the FA brought me two small glasses because apparently that's all that is loaded.

New Amenity Kit, old blue and white slippers (perfect combo, those PET slippers feel terrible), longhaul bedding and headphones.

The menu is nothing more than a funny meme. They talk about "the best that the forests and lakes of the North have to offer" and then they ask me to accept their appologies if my choice is not available. And, ta-dah, what I get is a deep-frozen German-produced industrial product, with no choice whatsoever.

Considering the fact that all J pax have probably had breakfast in the lounge, I also don't like this season's breakfast + roll concept. Last season's chiabatta + lunch was a lot better (and would not cost a penny more). However, the crew agreed to heat my breakfast up later, so I ate it about three hours before landing. That's a big plus ^

The second service, ie a drink and a small roll (think ARN J roll), were served about 75 min before landing, and that's when I got my Plat talk. Better late than never, I guess.

On landing, the purser reminded us that it's forbidden to take photos at the airport "here in Saudi Arabia". Okay?

If I hadn't flown this route last year, it probably wouldn't have felt so meh today. Comparing makes me sad. But of course it's still great value for 51k points + €45.

I'll be flying six hours to KGL on WB tomorrow, a red eye, in paid J. Let's see how Rwandair compares to AY.

The best part of today's AY experience took place at 7:13 pm, when I was swimming in the pool at my hotel in Deira, and saw OH-LTP taking off and flying back home.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
After being on AY1961 today, I have to say that the soft product has been hugely downgraded from what it was last season, just like the reports here prove. And even if I knew what to expect, it was still a letdown.
Than you ffay005 for a good review - though unfortunately it sounds like a real letdown from last year. I too was quite happy with the software last year. Please post your review for the inbound flight too if possible.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks Vulle! And I will, I'm flying back next Friday.

Last night, I had a six-hour (5 h 45 min) redeye DXB-KGL. The J hard product was absolute crap with ancient-feeling recliner seats on a 737-800, but the soft product beats AY hands down.

Predeparture drinks consisted of water, orange juice and Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial served in real glasses.

Despite a 1:50 am departure, Rwandair served a three-course meal with each course brought separately. They used trays, but also had a tablecloth unlike AY. Appetizer was a large portion of hummus and tabouleh. Several different bread rolls were available. For main course, there were four choices. I risked it with the beefsteak, but, although obviously well-done, the steak was actually one of the best I've had on a plane. The meat was very tender. A big slice of red velvet cake for dessert.

An hour before arrival, cheese croissants and drinks were served.

The amenity kit bag was non-branded but proudly carries the Rwandair logo, and is of good size. I'll probably start using it. Inside were the widest eyeshade I've ever seen (good design!), socks, a hairbrush, toothbrush, Colgate toothpaste as well as toiletries from the Swiss brand Charriol: hand cream 15 ml, face cream 15 ml, lip balm 4 ml.

The flight landed 15 min ahead of schedule (and immigration took one minute, including a visa on arrival). I was impressed.

OT? Not really. Without the Iranian airspace trouble, these flights (HEL-DXB and DXB-KGL) are of equal length, so it is, in my opinion, a very interesting comparison.

Edit: decided to write a little something about my WB experience in more detail. If you're interested (and you should be, KGL is a great city and AY DXB with points + WB from DXB is the absolutely cheapest way to get here from Finland), check this out: Rwandair (WB) DXB-KGL flight review (without photos)
vulle likes this.

Last edited by ffay005; Jan 27, 2020 at 10:46 am Reason: link to WB mini-review added
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Hah, I was speedreading first and thought you were kidding about Ryanair (Rwandair)!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Strong headwinds on today’s AY1962. Flight time must be a new record (?) at an estimated 9 hours 13 minutes.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Strong headwinds on today’s AY1962. Flight time must be a new record (?) at an estimated 9 hours 13 minutes.
Wow this is insane!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is also taking a it of a detour to avoid Iran, Iraq.

Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is also taking a it of a detour to avoid Iran, Iraq.
Of course. That’s why the flight is delayed in the first place. Add the headwinds, and it just becomes worse.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
These past two months I’ve tested DXB in J with AY, KL and AF. The soft product on the two latter ones are far superiour, incomparable.

I’ve also taken an AY Y flight from DXB and I think ay should be ashamed for not providing anything complimentary for a ~6-7h flight.
esledo and FFlash like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.