Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Seat & Meal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Finnair Seat & Meal

Has anyone ever tried this? And if so: experiences, pictures available?

Currently the Seat and Meal package is available on Finnair flights to and from Barcelona, Biarritz, the Canary Islands (Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Tenerife), Geneva, Lisbon, London*, Madeira (Funchal), Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Nice, Paris, Reykjavik and Rome. I have just tried selecting seats for my flights from AMS to HEL and vice versa, apparently the seat & meal package is now also available to and from Amsterdam.

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/seat-and-meal

1. Fish Meal
2. Meat Meal
3. Vegeratian Meal
4. Junior/Kid's Meal

In MMB the seats show up as located in the 2 rows after business class and as a AY+ Gold they cost me 35 euro / 5500 points.

Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Interesting. I have also spotted the offer on AMS-HEL flight and wasn't too surprised that they didn't bother to update their list of destinations. However, they at least seem to have realised that the initial price of 11000 points was too high (compared to 10000 upgrade-to-J price). Now it's quite reasonably priced. Surprisingly though, the system only offers me cash payment.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat
I got the same option for flights to and from Zurich. Additionally, they moved my pre-reserved seat further to the back...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by on22cz
Interesting. I have also spotted the offer on AMS-HEL flight and wasn't too surprised that they didn't bother to update their list of destinations. However, they at least seem to have realised that the initial price of 11000 points was too high (compared to 10000 upgrade-to-J price). Now it's quite reasonably priced. Surprisingly though, the system only offers me cash payment.
I got 35e or 11k points from AY HEL - CDG.

Was gonna grab the meal package for 5500p. welp....i will pass for 11k
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Maybe it's 11 000 for Plats and 5500 for Golds.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
So today I signed in and it offered me the points payment, too. Of course, 11k was the price.
Do Golds still get Economy Comfort with 50% discount? I assume the system mixes those with Seat&Meal, hence the 50% points discount for Golds. To make the list of options complete, it can sometimes be booked complimentary.

Should mods delete this thread to avoid unnecessary attention, or should we buy popcorn and start counting months until AY puts their IT into the right order?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by on22cz
Do Golds still get Economy Comfort with 50% discount?
No, they don't.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
The 11k pricing for seat&meal is probably one of the most brain-dead perks in AY. Why would anyone not buy a J upgrade for less points, which comes with a seat and an empty seat next to it (unless you are doing that on a small plane), lounge access, business class check-in and fast track? I tried explaining this to one of the AY reps at one of the AY events, but apparently with not-so-great success.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Trav1970
The 11k pricing for seat&meal is probably one of the most brain-dead perks in AY. Why would anyone not buy a J upgrade for less points, which comes with a seat and an empty seat next to it (unless you are doing that on a small plane), lounge access, business class check-in and fast track? I tried explaining this to one of the AY reps at one of the AY events, but apparently with not-so-great success.
Not all people know that they could ever afford a business class upgrade. So maybe they're counting on that.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by lkrt
Not all people know that they could ever afford a business class upgrade. So maybe they're counting on that.
There may well be people who don't know that. But when (if) they do find out, they are not going to be happy.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I tried explaining this to one of the AY reps at one of the AY events, but apparently with not-so-great success.
Let's hope the solution will not be to increase J upgrades to 15k or 20k.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by lkrt
Don't forget the F availability is quite limited if you're not at least Plat basic!
SPBanker and esledo like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by cistavoda
Don't forget the F availability is quite limited if you're not at least Plat basic!
Yes it may be limited. That is still not a valid excuse for why an inferior product should cost more.
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Many things cost a lot of points compared to the charged price in Euro, but they are basically in line.
Seat & Meal: 11000 points vs 35€
Extra Baggage intra-European: 6000 points vs 20€
Lounge off-peak: 13000 points vs 39€

If you can get a J upgrade for 10k points then it brings great value for the points.
EuroFlash likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Many things cost a lot of points compared to the charged price in Euro, but they are basically in line.
Seat & Meal: 11000 points vs 35€
Extra Baggage intra-European: 6000 points vs 20€
Lounge off-peak: 13000 points vs 39€

If you can get a J upgrade for 10k points then it brings great value for the points.
I didn't do the math, but I would guess that the €/point ratio on the above is roughly the same as what AnySeat award €/point ratio is. And comparing AnySeat to Classic awards it is inferior in terms of this ratio, as is clearly illustrated by a sample booking for HEL-JFK-HEL return in J. Agreed, the sample ticket was slightly expensive to begin with. A question to everyone on this forum is - has anyone actually booked an AnySeat award with anything other than a few leftover points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.