Search

HEL Premium Lounge [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
So JL offers that Burger King voucher.
Maybe AY copy that idea - would be just great.

But wait - no alcohol with that voucher - so you still need the lounge......

But 40€ is a great compensation for the lounge.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Ok, so my first time in HEL and currently in the premium lounge non-schengen.
My impressions are it's clearly not what it is supposed to be, but still decent enough and compared to the Aspire lounge in Manchester this morning could be much worse....
Beatroot soup is good, decent rye bread and just about prompt enough bar service for spirits. Beer and wine you can pour yourself.
Nice chocolates and sweets.
We aren't missing the school dinner like hot foods we are used to from BA...
The worst thing is the crowding. It's quiet (again compared to the hen do this morning in Manchester). But it's very cramped. Ms GLABA and I have a table four three to ourselves and feel lucky.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by GLABA
Ok, so my first time in HEL and currently in the premium lounge non-schengen.
My impressions are it's clearly not what it is supposed to be, but still decent enough and compared to the Aspire lounge in Manchester this morning could be much worse....
Premium lounge is currently closed. The one that is open normal business lounge and yes it is very packed usually.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
I am sorry, but as I sit (sorry stand) at the moment in the nonschengen lounge I have to be blunt about this... 6 months of THIS!!!??? Sorry. Totally unacceptable. And these wraps?? Any person that has had 2 weeks of vocational training could do better than that. How about opening up a supply of cheeseburgers from next door?

Not a single available seat and about 30 people standing.
Ed Size and esledo like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by helahela
I am sorry, but as I sit (sorry stand) at the moment in the nonschengen lounge I have to be blunt about this... 6 months of THIS!!!??? Sorry. Totally unacceptable. And these wraps?? Any person that has had 2 weeks of vocational training could do better than that. How about opening up a supply of cheeseburgers from next door?

Good idea on the burgers. We went to burger king last time and brought it back into the lounge with us.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:07 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
What is the rationale of a lounge more congested than a regular hallway - and more entitled folks. Free booze only? Please, do get some differentiation both at Schengen and non-Shengen side! Emeralds and international First Class passengers deserve better!!! Sapphires and plain businetic passengers be happy with that zoo!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTL
What is the rationale of a lounge more congested than a regular hallway - and more entitled folks. Free booze only? Please, do get some differentiation both at Schengen and non-Shengen side! Emeralds and international First Class passengers deserve better!!! Sapphires and plain businetic passengers be happy with that zoo!
What international first class passengers are there in Hel? Frankly I'm not sure why emeralds (esp since Emerald can be got on BAEC so easily) "deserve" so much better than paying J customers
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by helahela
Good thing is that the Diners Club card is here until the end of May. almost@home is the lounge to go now.
reflektia likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:59 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by mpkz
What international first class passengers are there in Hel?s
Many... via major hubs nearby onboard AA, BA, CX, JL, and QR.

Originally Posted by mpkz
Frankly I'm not sure why emeralds (esp since Emerald can be got on BAEC so easily) "deserve" so much better than paying J customer
I think OW has done the required mathematics. Regular customers should get the benefits. And could you perhaps elaborate on "easy" BAEC gold and estimate the cost for that?

Finnair main hub should gradually get on par with other OW carriers...

Last edited by TTL; Nov 5, 2018 at 7:10 am Reason: Added JL (LHR and CDG to Tokyo)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'd like to see who wants to fly HEL-LHR-TYO only to be able to sit in JL F when there's JL J and AY J available HEL-NRT. My guess is the number of pax transferring to real F is minimal.
mpkz likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:36 am
TTL

Originally Posted by ffay005
I'd like to see who wants to fly HEL-LHR-TYO only to be able to sit in JL F when there's JL J and AY J available HEL-NRT. My guess is the number of pax transferring to real F is minimal.
Each to their own - but there are INTL 1ST PAXs to/from HEL - no denial. AY Long Haul biz used to be the requirement to gain entry to the better AY lounge au lieu de Almost Home nowadays. HND would be a better alternative in TYO anyway.

Last edited by TTL; Nov 5, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:41 am

Yeah, I know a couple who flies BA F to the Caribbean every year. So there's definitely some.

As far as AY is concerend, I think they should value (1) their own paid J pax, (2) AY Plats flying AY, (3) AY Golds & OWEs flying AY, (4) OWSs flying AY, (5) anyone flying another OW airline either in J (or F) or with status.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While it is true that F cabin class is getting more and more rare, it is decidedly so that Finnair promotes HEL as an excellent transfer airport and offering a premium lounge is a big part of that package.

When they do so, they should also actually offer a premium experience. Number of passengers with F on ticket has very little to do with this.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:46 am
TTL

Originally Posted by ffay005
Yeah, I know a couple who flies BA F to the Caribbean every year. So there's definitely some.

As far as AY is concerend, I think they should value (1) their own paid J pax, (2) AY Plats flying AY, (3) AY Golds & OWEs flying AY, (4) OWSs flying AY, (5) anyone flying another OW airline either in J (or F) or with status.
But should there be distinction between J paid by "own money" instead of someone paying the J-travel as has been implied valuewise and ehtically somewhere read in between the lines? Emerald is the ethical and rational distinction.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by TTL
But should there be distinction between J paid by "own money" instead of someone paying the J-travel as has been implied valuewise and ehtically somewhere read in between the lines? Emerald is the ethical and rational distinction.
How is Emerald the distinction, as it, too (the tickets needed to acquire OWE) can be bought either by oneself or someone else? I can't see what difference it makes who pays the bill. Having said that, there actually is one clear distinction; if you fly AY on (discounted) corporate fares, you're among the first ones to be downgraded or denied boarding if irrops occur. I'd say that's quite a disadvantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.