Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
This is a summary of rules and perks for AY+ members travelling on the new "unbundled" Light (basic) tickets

Seating
Seating will be automatic/random when check-in opens.
Seat selection is chargeable even after check-in opens.
Children will be seated next to one adult if booked in the same PNR. Adults and youths in same ticket can be spread all over cabin.

Tier member seat selection perk
AY+ silver gets free seat selection on BA operated flights from seven days before departure
AY+gold and plat gets free seat selection on any BA, AY and IB operated flight.
No one gets any free seat selection on any AA operated flight

Bag-allowance after applying tier perk
AY+ silver gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights and on all AA marketed flights
AY+ gold gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights, 1 bag on all IB marketed flights and 2 bags on AA marketed flights
AY plat gets 1 bag on all AY, IB marketed flights and 3 bags on AA marketed flights
No one gets any bags on any BA marketed flight.

Tier perks that works unconditionally
Premium check-in
Fast track security
Lounge access
Priority boarding
Print Wikipost

Light fares to North America

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by kauppias
Good to hear 👍 I was suprised to get MCE as well so I am sure I will survive
According to the Wiki above:

Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun

I read that too but received seat assignments as OWS and my daughter is OWE (the irony) 😂 even allowed me to pick MCE seats on AA and comfort on AY Im not complaining could it be a issue that AA doesnt read ba codeshares correctly?
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun

I always get free seat selection (MCE included) with BA Gold. But then again, never knowingly book Basic Economy.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA silver, Accor platinum, HH silver, M&M
Checked bags

Hello,

I have purchased an eco ticket with AA on a Finnair flight (BRU-LAX).
It's a basic ticket with only the hand bagage et no checked bags.

How many bags can I check as Sapphire Tier 0, 1 or 2 ?

Thank you

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2022 at 5:20 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
General rule is that you get +1 for being a OWS, so on a ticket with zero bag allowance that is one.

However, when introduced, these HBO transatlantic fares were quite a mess. In the thread Light fares to North America there is a wiki specifically for AY+ tier members, which maybe you can use a starting guidance:

Bag-allowance after applying tier perk
AY+ silver gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights and on all AA marketed flights
AY+ gold gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights, 1 bag on all IB marketed flights and 2 bags on AA marketed flights
AY plat gets 1 bag on all AY, IB marketed flights and 3 bags on AA marketed flights
No one gets any bags on any BA marketed flight.
So, it all comes down to who is the marketing carrier and with which FF program you have your status with. - Please note, above info may be outdated.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: BA silver, Accor platinum, HH silver, M&M
Thank you,
Will see what happen @ the airport.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Hi, i'm an AA (Gold) and will be flying DFW-HEL-BCN in Econ Light in March 2023.

Traveling with the family so i was wondering how the seat assignments work on AY. Will they seat families together or at least 2 seats together? doesn't look like bags will be free as OW Ruby.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by dc9703
Hi, i'm an AA (Gold) and will be flying DFW-HEL-BCN in Econ Light in March 2023.

Traveling with the family so i was wondering how the seat assignments work on AY. Will they seat families together or at least 2 seats together? doesn't look like bags will be free as OW Ruby.
The system will assign each pax under 12 next to an adult on the same PNR.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The system will assign each pax under 12 next to an adult on the same PNR.
Thanks.

Assuming they assign back of the plane, worst seats first for these light fares. So checkin at -24 hours would net the best chance at least 2 seats together, but might be middle and towards the back of the plane.

Last edited by dc9703; Aug 2, 2022 at 6:52 am
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by dc9703

At least from my few experiences as a non-status customer you are highly restricted in your seat selection at check-in compared to an AY Ruby or higher.

Therefore I do see a chance that there is a preferential treatment for other OW Ruby as well, So I would check in as early possible and ideally report back here how it went.

We usually know how the world functions with higher status flying AY, not without.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
At least from my few experiences as a non-status customer you are highly restricted in your seat selection at check-in compared to an AY Ruby or higher.

Therefore I do see a chance that there is a preferential treatment for other OW Ruby as well, So I would check in as early possible and ideally report back here how it went.

We usually know how the world functions with higher status flying AY, not without.
Sure. the flight is a bit away but i will try to report back. At the same time i did see rather reasonable $35 fee per seat selection. I'm leaning towards just doing that now. $140 for the full family to sit together with a likely 2x3x2 330 config. a couple of window/aisle back-to-back would solve a lot of worries on an overnight flight.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.