Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
This is a summary of rules and perks for AY+ members travelling on the new "unbundled" Light (basic) tickets

Seating
Seating will be automatic/random when check-in opens.
Seat selection is chargeable even after check-in opens.
Children will be seated next to one adult if booked in the same PNR. Adults and youths in same ticket can be spread all over cabin.

Tier member seat selection perk
AY+ silver gets free seat selection on BA operated flights from seven days before departure
AY+gold and plat gets free seat selection on any BA, AY and IB operated flight.
No one gets any free seat selection on any AA operated flight

Bag-allowance after applying tier perk
AY+ silver gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights and on all AA marketed flights
AY+ gold gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights, 1 bag on all IB marketed flights and 2 bags on AA marketed flights
AY plat gets 1 bag on all AY, IB marketed flights and 3 bags on AA marketed flights
No one gets any bags on any BA marketed flight.

Tier perks that works unconditionally
Premium check-in
Fast track security
Lounge access
Priority boarding
Print Wikipost

Light fares to North America

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
It is according to original ticket allowance, at least if there are legs operated by any other airline, even AY-code-share doesn't change the original allowance. It is quite weird that long haul AY-operated legs (in F) have baggage allowance of 3 or 4 bags, but for instance the legs somewhere in Asia in economy, even if code-share, have only the original 1 bag (or if operated by oneworld airline and as emerald, 2 bags). What's the use of those extra 2 or 3 bags if the first or last leg have allowance of only one bag, or in case of light fare, no bags??? Do they think that during the transfer the customer somehow makes up several checked bags more? So practically the allowance is only 0, 1 or 2 bags for the whole itinerary depending on original ticket + possible 1 extra as oneworld elite.
Isn't it so that the most significant carrier dictates the allowance. If the LH is AY and upgraded to F you get that allowance also for the SH leg. The app and web page might show different info, but in reality, I am pretty sure I have checked bags according to the higher allowance. Once it took quite some time when checking-in in Indonesia with a local carrier to convince them that I can have 3 heavy bags with AY, but it worked out OK in the end.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by theBro
Isn't it so that the most significant carrier dictates the allowance. If the LH is AY and upgraded to F you get that allowance also for the SH leg. The app and web page might show different info, but in reality, I am pretty sure I have checked bags according to the higher allowance. Once it took quite some time when checking-in in Indonesia with a local carrier to convince them that I can have 3 heavy bags with AY, but it worked out OK in the end.
That's what I had thought as well, but it seems that in case of upgraded long haul ticket the most significant carrier rule doesn't apply, but it goes according to the original ticket. Once I had a case I would have needed extra, having allowance of 4 bags to HKG, but only 2 onwards on KA. On return on AY marketed operated by PG allowance was only 1 bag, regardless of status or allowance on my next flight. I checked and rechecked it with AY CS and also with PG, and no, the original allowance of only 1 bag remained the same, even though PG uses kgs, not number of bags as their own allowance limit. There was no use of having 4 bags onwards from BKK as I couldn't have more than one on the feeder flight. SInce that I have checked the same thing at least twice, for PG marketed and operated and for AY marketed VN operated flights. Answer has always been the same, except that if being joining PGs own FF program one more bag would have been possible.

This is an issue that AY should take into account when developing their services, that at least on AY marketed codeshare flights the baggage allowance would be the same throughout the journey.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
One more reason to avoid codeshares
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by aama
Reporting from the Non-Premium Non-Schengen Lounge. I had to cough up 50€ for BA at the check-in even though I had AY marketed AY code tickets on BA metal. They told me that it USED to be that the marketing carrier is the ruling one with Light ticket, but not anymore at least on BA.

Well I called Platsku-line and they guided me to reimburse it since it was promised at the time of booking. I'll update later how that goes.
I would say poorly trained check-in agent ignoring common agreement of the 4 JV partner airlines. You as a Plat are clearly eligible for a free bag. I'll be of this opinion until somebody presents updated table for Unbundled fares, in which such a benefit is clearly withdrawn. There is also an option AY has decided to reimburse every case of this kind, but then I'd ask why not to state it in the PDF they (JV 4) published?

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
That's what I had thought as well, but it seems that in case of upgraded long haul ticket the most significant carrier rule doesn't apply, but it goes according to the original ticket. Once I had a case I would have needed extra, having allowance of 4 bags to HKG, but only 2 onwards on KA. On return on AY marketed operated by PG allowance was only 1 bag, regardless of status or allowance on my next flight. I checked and rechecked it with AY CS and also with PG, and no, the original allowance of only 1 bag remained the same, even though PG uses kgs, not number of bags as their own allowance limit. There was no use of having 4 bags onwards from BKK as I couldn't have more than one on the feeder flight. SInce that I have checked the same thing at least twice, for PG marketed and operated and for AY marketed VN operated flights. Answer has always been the same, except that if being joining PGs own FF program one more bag would have been possible.

This is an issue that AY should take into account when developing their services, that at least on AY marketed codeshare flights the baggage allowance would be the same throughout the journey.
I wish I could find the rule (IATA?) to prove them wrong. A short hop on PG should not decrease allowance of the whole trip. I'll keep searching...
ffay005 and Purjelentaja like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by on22cz

I would say poorly trained check-in agent ignoring common agreement of the 4 JV partner airlines. You as a Plat are clearly eligible for a free bag. I'll be of this opinion until somebody presents updated table for Unbundled fares, in which such a benefit is clearly withdrawn. There is also an option AY has decided to reimburse every case of this kind, but then I'd ask why not to state it in the PDF they (JV 4) published?

Well they had 2 supervisors that looked at my booking.

They even said that it USED to be the way that the marketing carrier was the ruling one.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by on22cz
I wish I could find the rule (IATA?) to prove them wrong. A short hop on PG should not decrease allowance of the whole trip. I'll keep searching...

When you find it, please share it with us all!

Quite interesting, btw, is that the longest flight doesn't always determine the most significant carrier (MSC). I have a coming flight to down under, and even if the flight from HKG is longer than the one to HKG, the flight HEL-HKG still determines the MSC, as that will be the one crossing tariff area boundary. Southwest Pacific (Australia, NZ etc...) and Asia are are in the same tariff area (area 3), whereas Europe is in area 2. In this case I'll be facing the same baggage allowance issue again, but as flying AY-CX, it will anyway be 1 extra bag on CX on top of the one on the ticket, meaning no problem this time.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:27 am

Well they had 2 supervisors that looked at my booking.

They even said that it USED to be the way that the marketing carrier was the ruling one.
In my perspective, there is nothing to look for in the booking. The booking certainly says NOBAG, which should not be misleading a good agent's judgment. What matters is their common table published on March 1, 2018 (IIRC Light fares were effective as of April), to which no updates have been posted. Obviously, had you been on BA flight number (that could also mislead them) or just AY Gold, the situation would be different and charging you would be correct.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AY Gold
Reporting from the Non-Premium Non-Schengen Lounge. I had to cough up 50€ for BA at the check-in even though I had AY marketed AY code tickets on BA metal. They told me that it USED to be that the marketing carrier is the ruling one with Light ticket, but not anymore at least on BA.

Well I called Platsku-line and they guided me to reimburse it since it was promised at the time of booking. I'll update later how that goes.
US federal law (14 CFR 399.87) mandates that all carriers, domestic and foreign, use the First Marketing Carrier for the whole trip when the end point in the US. Can't post a link here since Flyertalk seems to think I'm a suspicious member, so you can Google it.

As the marketing carrier was AY, their allowance should apply for the whole trip.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by jaakko3247
US federal law (14 CFR 399.87) mandates that all carriers, domestic and foreign, use the First Marketing Carrier for the whole trip when the end point in the US. Can't post a link here since Flyertalk seems to think I'm a suspicious member, so you can Google it.

As the marketing carrier was AY, their allowance should apply for the whole trip.
Wasn't it if the start point is in the US and not about the end point?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:39 pm

Update on my case.

The checked bag allowance on BA metal is indeed zero bags on light/basic fares no matter what the marketing carrier or pax status is.

However AY said they'll refund me the payment to BA since the cs informed me wrong.
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:25 pm

CS did not inform you wrong if they told you 1 bag allowed for AY Plat on AY marketed, BA operated flight. The information is clearly based on the table agreed by all 4 TATL JV carriers. Whether BA behaves against the agreement, or AY forgot to put there the information about every case requiring a refund request remains another question.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:23 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html

As you can see in this post the table seems to be updated at some point so that's that

This is just ridiculous.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN
OTOH it was overcomplicated to try to have (extra) baggage allowance by marketing carrier just for NA Basic fares as traditionally operating carrier determines the allowance, among many other things.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wasn't these joint ventures launched with the promise to make things easy for the customer...

But the overall rule still applies. Avoid anything BA.
Finnair still has some consistency. On AY ticket, plat/gold members gets +1 bag on all fares on all carriers on all destinations except on BA.

By the way, the JV is going to be examined again when UK is no longer supervised by common regulations next year.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1ML0OQ
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:47 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html

As you can see in this post the table seems to be updated at some point so that's that

This is just ridiculous.
Thanks for update! I wish this was easy to find also elsewhere than just in one FT post, as I believe arguments over official PDF are more relevant than over a FT post :-)
One positive thing of the updated table is that AY Golds get a bag on AY marketed, AA/IB operated flights. Used to be just on AY operated. It sure will please many pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.