FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Finnair Long Haul Business Class Food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1894515-finnair-long-haul-business-class-food.html)

Yoshi212 Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm

@ffay005, thanks for the heads up on the specialty meal. I'll reconsider that move.

I'm setting my standards appropriately for the SFO-HEL meal services. I'll hope for a good day but will fill up doing my lounge hopping beforehand.

intuition Feb 24, 2018 2:01 am

never mind

esledo Feb 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by haapalainen (Post 29441927)
BA doesn't serve any dinner on sleeper services.

That is simply incorrect. On sleeper services there is a light meal of two choices (example salad or pasta) plus dessert (such as a slice of cake), and I have found those to be pretty good given the time of the day (or night). At least on most routes one can have a good meal in the lounge (to mention JFK and EWR at least) before the flight as well.

Last night in J on AY28 HAV-HEL (STD 23:05 LT + 20 min delay) I was able to get the dinner tray at 1:08 LT, so 1,5 hrs after take-off. I really think AY should do something to speed up the service (especially on night flights), it seems that it hasn't really improved since the introduction of A350.

Menu HAV-HEL 23 Feb (Sorry, took a picture only of the Finnish pages)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e36a6e4ca0.jpg

Drinks served with sliced almonds, should have had some rusinat and glögi with those. What a joke.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2dbb160b5f.jpg

One tray for the salmon starter, sea-bass & risotto main course and cheeses. Not much to write home about, the fish was very bland and the "risotto" was just dry rice.https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...46224f4cf0.jpg

The orange-chocolate cake was quite tasty, accompanied by a glass of De Bortoli Noble One.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7787d6bd2d.jpg

The light meal was served around 2 hrs before arrival into HEL. The spinach lasagna was surprisingly good, though a bit greasy.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e4604cd587.jpg

To add to this "Ylellinen Finnairin Businessluokka" experience there were no real duvets available on the flight, only s/h style thin blankets as "HAV cannot handle the real ones". Also no lounge at HAV (even though finnair.com states that there is) and apparently because of this the kid at row 4 was starving to death so the FAs started to cook noodles already before the doors were closed. Of course I also sent feedback about the pathetic ground experience at HAV (also to mention the 1,5 hrs wait for luggage after AY27) but I really think that relying solely on HAV lounge offerings would tell something of ones self-survival instinct. :rolleyes:

ffay005 Feb 24, 2018 1:58 pm

For some reason (read: most probably money), AY uses T2 at HAV, which was terrible. Straight outta DDR... I'm happy I travelled with a carry-on only.

T3 was a lot nicer, and is used by most international airlines as well as Cubana. Flew AA out of HAV from T3.

HAV cannot wash the duvets... It was a nice enough city with a great atmosphere, but it's still a sort of Soviet Union, only with palmtrees. But why AY is unable to pack those duvets into a box and place them in the hold for washing at HEL is anybody's guess.

Made an interesting discovery regarding mid-flight snacks on AY27. You know how most airlines provide pax with those mini-sized crisp bags? AY, tightwads as they are, has one family-sized bag that the FAs open and pour into glasses. Guess what brand those crisps are? :D :D

jouhka Feb 25, 2018 4:18 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 29454278)

Made an interesting discovery regarding mid-flight snacks on AY27. You know how most airlines provide pax with those mini-sized crisp bags? AY, tightwads as they are, has one family-sized bag that the FAs open and pour into glasses. Guess what brand those crisps are? :D :D

Pirkka or Rainbow (only for HAV?) :D

ffay005 Feb 25, 2018 4:24 am

Pirkka.

Most likely not only for HAV :(

Furry Feb 25, 2018 4:43 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 29456050)
Pirkka.

Most likely not only for HAV :(

LOL.

Lounge serves Taffel now as Fazer took over. Before it was Menu (Kespro wholesale brand for industrial kitchens).

SuloL Feb 25, 2018 4:44 am

HEL-HKG Midnight menu

I flew AY99 and AY100 in the past two weeks, here some comments about the new menus:ř

ex-HEL: the signature cod dish by Tommi Myllymäki was quite dry and lacked character. The grav lax appetizer was better, yet also lacked strong accent flavors, despite the horseradish and mustard. Two choices of appetizers, cant recall if that's new on the midnight menu.

ex-HKG: I had pre-ordered the Jaakko Sorsa meatballs, which were excellent. One of my best dished in Finnair J. The (seemingly green) FA insisted that my preorder determined my starter, and after two tries of ordering the salmon appetizer, I gave up. I got the meat option, which was lackluster. IMO very stupid service from the young male FA.

tl;dr: choice of appetizers back on ex-HEL midnight menu. Or did it ever even disappear?

EDIT: Amuse Bouche served both ways, the other flight's crew's view of a proper midnight meal drink service (a glass for each item) was not adequate :)

nordic Feb 27, 2018 3:50 pm

... and wine

This year none of AY wines won any prices in the Business Traveller survey. The wine list won the silver medallion for the best presented Wine list in Business class. Source: Business Traveller March 2018.
I do agree that the wine list looks nice. Often one is diaspointed to read how well the wine would go with x dish not available onboard. Wouldn’t it be nice that it would also recommend the wines matching for today’s meals (alternatively the recommendations could also be shown in the menu).And how about the wines in short-haul J. Wouldn’t it be nice to have two choices of Red and white Wine as like it used to be in Y.Some one commented the improved Wine list in long haul flights. I fully agree that it would be great to have a choice for Champagne (rose? or maybe a very good And interesting sparkling Wine)Sorry for the autocorrected spelling errors.

Yoshi212 Feb 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Using the chat function of the AY website I was able to get a description of the schedule meals for my flights. The currently had up to May 5th's flights planned out. Respond took a total of 12 hours (overnight US hours).

reflektia Feb 27, 2018 11:02 pm

Couple days ago NRT-HEL, lucky op-up :D

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...736e911c18.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...50c6b36f29.jpghttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...970c85c9c3.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c07b04d17c.jpg

Starter was very good, main food way too dry (it was Chef Maezawa special) and cheese plate quite delicious.

Only coke and water for drinks, it was quite difficult morning...

finnishlad Feb 27, 2018 11:06 pm

On my flight to Bangkok this month, on the menu there were recommendation of wine for each course

Cupart Feb 28, 2018 1:34 am

Can someone please remind me (again) when the pre-orders (option 1, 2 3 etc) of LH J meals opens up?
Have a J segment in 30 days time (midnight HEL-BKK flight) and I don't seem to have the options available other than the usual kosher, low sodium etc.

I did receive the mail from AY reminding me about the upcoming flights so I checked and there were no options...

SuloL Feb 28, 2018 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Cupart (Post 29467910)
Can someone please remind me (again) when the pre-orders (option 1, 2 3 etc) of LH J meals opens up?
Have a J segment in 30 days time (midnight HEL-BKK flight) and I don't seem to have the options available other than the usual kosher, low sodium etc.

I did receive the mail from AY reminding me about the upcoming flights so I checked and there were no options...

I'm thinking the system might be broken. Flew 2 LHs recently and the Option 1/2/3 (+Reindeer etc.) didn't show up at all starting from at least T-14. I, however, had selected Option 2 a little after booking, after which the menus had been changed, so I had something totally different.

CS might be able to assign you something, at least they were able to remove my request when asking.

Cupart Feb 28, 2018 5:00 am

So just double checked in case I was missing something and it's defo not there...
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ffdea17418.jpg

It's been like this for the last week or so so surely it cannot be a technical glitch (seems to be quite a good few of these on AY's website)

Steve_Hun Feb 28, 2018 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Cupart (Post 29468266)
So just double checked in case I was missing something and it's defo not there...

It's been like this for the last week or so so surely it cannot be a technical glitch (seems to be quite a good few of these on AY's website)

I have an afternoon HEL- BKK flight coming up exactly in a month (28 March) and just checked my meal selection. For me Option 1,2 & 3 and the other 3 ex-HEL meal options are all displayed in the drop-down list. Must be a Platinum perk :D :p

Ed Size Feb 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cupart (Post 29468266)

It s there, you need to follow the link as said on the the top of your screen shot.

remymartin Feb 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Flew HEL-SGN recently and was thoroughly annoyed by the "everything at once" concept. The starter and the main course were good (I didn't prebook anything as to simulate a first-timer), but the presentation just felt like Economy class without the aluminium foil on top. The cheese plate was weak and the breakfast options were poor.

NoWindowSeat Feb 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun (Post 29468364)
I have an afternoon HEL- BKK flight coming up exactly in a month (28 March) and just checked my meal selection. For me Option 1,2 & 3 and the other 3 ex-HEL meal options are all displayed in the drop-down list. Must be a Platinum perk :D :p

Same for my JFK flight, all options, 3+3, are in the drop down list.

Steve_Hun Mar 1, 2018 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 29471581)
It s there, you need to follow the link as said on the the top of your screen shot.

As far as I understand it, Cupart is not looking for the menu, but how to actually pre-order it. The menu indeed should be available from the link that is visible on the screenshot, but as you can see, "option 1, 2 & 3" and the other ex-HEL options are not listed in the drop-down list, from where you should be able to pick it.

Ed Size Mar 1, 2018 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun (Post 29472175)
As far as I understand it, Cupart is not looking for the menu, but how to actually pre-order it. The menu indeed should be available from the link that is visible on the screenshot, but as you can see, "option 1, 2 & 3" and the other ex-HEL options are not listed in the drop-down list, from where you should be able to pick it.

Yeah I got this wrong, anyhow yesterday I could see all the options 1,2,3 Foodlevers etc, today they are gone. I try to book the meals on Facebook. Also today my seat selections I did yesterday are all gone, had to rebook them. Two of the seats where gone - sucks. now last row on the flight to Hel, original booked first row.

NoWindowSeat Mar 1, 2018 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 29472299)
Two of the seats where gone - sucks. now last row on the flight to Hel, original booked first row.

Well that _really_ sucks...once that happened to me and my wife on AY to SIN...we were moved from row 1 to some middle pair in the back..when I saw the BPs at the HEL Prem checkin counter I politely asked what the hell is going on and the nice lady made few calls to somewhere and printed out new BPs with original seats for us, she had no idea (or didn't dare to tell) what had happened.. Anyway just push and ask why they have done it...seat selection prior to check-in is one of their perks coming with a J ticket and unless operational reasons (a/c swap, selecting baby cot seats etc) they really should stick to their service promise as that is what you pay for.

ffay005 Mar 4, 2018 4:55 pm

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone shares my view on the longhaul pre-arrival breakfasts. Back in 7th grade, the first thing I learned in home economics was that if you make an omelette, you need to serve it right away. Not after 15 minutes, and certainly not after 12+ hours, as is the norm on longhaul flights that arrive in the morning. I find those chilled-down and reheated omelettes tasteless, often rubbery and the sides usually haven't fared well, either.

What I would very much welcome as an alternative would be a cold cut platter with some gourmet breads (instead of the usually rather tasteless rolls we now get from outstations), cheeses, hams, salami etc. Perhaps an olive or two, a couple of cucumber and tomato slices, maybe even some cold smoked salmon or liver pate. Anything that you could create your own open sandwich or two with. Of course, this would be served alongside fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereal etc.

On one flight, can't remember the destination anymore, I was surprised that you could have a warm apple strudel for breakfast instead of the usual omelette. It was big, looked and tasted fresh and came with ample vanilla custard. Perhaps it would have been better suited in a Viennese café alongside with a cup of afternoon coffee, but it was definitely a very welcome change to the norm.

SuloL Mar 4, 2018 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 29485376)
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone shares my view on the longhaul pre-arrival breakfasts. Back in 7th grade, the first thing I learned in home economics was that if you make an omelette, you need to serve it right away. Not after 15 minutes, and certainly not after 12+ hours, as is the norm on longhaul flights that arrive in the morning. I find those chilled-down and reheated omelettes tasteless, often rubbery and the sides usually haven't fared well, either.

What I would very much welcome as an alternative would be a cold cut platter with some gourmet breads (instead of the usually rather tasteless rolls we now get from outstations), cheeses, hams, salami etc. Perhaps an olive or two, a couple of cucumber and tomato slices, maybe even some cold smoked salmon or liver pate. Anything that you could create your own open sandwich or two with. Of course, this would be served alongside fresh fruit, yoghurt and cereal etc.

On one flight, can't remember the destination anymore, I was surprised that you could have a warm apple strudel for breakfast instead of the usual omelette. It was big, looked and tasted fresh and came with ample vanilla custard. Perhaps it would have been better suited in a Viennese café alongside with a cup of afternoon coffee, but it was definitely a very welcome change to the norm.

+1 from here! Agree totally that the breakfasts need a lot of improvement. I've actually grown such a disgust for the omelettes and other tasteless items in the western option, that I've started doing the light breakfast, supplemented with granola and the occasional (Alepa?) ciabatta. Among the airlines I've flown in J (even short-haul), Finnair's bread selection definitely places in the bottom quartile. Haven't had anything remotely crispy (nor tasty...) for ages! Karelian pies seem to run out on all the flights, cannot recall when I had one during the breakfast service. Finnair is touting the nordic cuisine/onboard experience, so why not figure something out for breakfast as well?

I would very much prefer cold cuts, salmon etc. I believe minor, incremental yet thoughtful improvements could really go a long way for the breakfast.

intuition Mar 5, 2018 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 29485376)
.... I find those chilled-down and reheated omelettes tasteless, often rubbery and the sides usually haven't fared well, either.

+1. 'Rubbery' is the exact word to describe the eggs usually served.
I have however once gotten a freshly made omelette (or what felt like freshly made). I have no idea how they did it, there must be some kind of specialized machine. It was on QR IIRC.

I like to start the day slowly, ie I rather have a very tiny meal as late as possible on the longhaul and then do a proper, second-breakfast on the connecting shorthaul.

I like your idea of cold cuts. You can add some other elements too. I got a bit of greek vibe reading your idea, so some feta cheese and greek style (non-sweetened) yoghurt wouldn't be bad.

I also think a "french-style" breakfast or sweet breakfast is good. Many years ago AY did excellent croissants and fresh café-au-laît / cappuccino *) but these days the croissants are soggy and inedible and coffe is bad. I'd love the apfel-strudel too, it is just enough to start up my system for the day!
Sometimes there is pancake / waffle and jam but it is a tad too much for me personally.

*) Preserved in fond memory is a AY red-eye may years ago, probably HKG--HEL-GOT, where I was gently woken by lovely bakery-smell and the words "Sir, while you were sleeping, we prepared some croissants for you. What kind of coffee would you like with that?"

Cupart Mar 6, 2018 1:52 am

AI is not quite there yet (or at least AY's IT department are struggling)...

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...17e6b72096.jpg

FFlash Mar 6, 2018 4:03 am

Everytime a chatbot answers me, I search a human service number, call them and give a good lesson to throw the bot in the deepest hole

ffay005 Mar 6, 2018 12:59 pm

I just received an IpsosMori for my recent J class MIA-HEL. This time, I wrote a lengthy comment about the food provided. Not really holding my breath or anything, but it felt good to write my thoughts down and hopefully, someone actually reads those answers. One-tray main meal service, cheap ingredients, Pirkka, rubbery breakfast among others mentioned... On the other hand, this was also a good opportunity to thank "my" FA, who was a perfect example of AY FAs at their best: non-intrusive but attentive at the same time, no rolling eyes when I expressed my wishes, fast and corteous. ^

I gave good points for the lounge, too, realising that they might interpret it as good points for the Premium Lounge at MIA, not the Flagship First that I actually visited. Oh well, the Premium Lounge will undergo a thorough renovation anyway, so they'll probably change the concept, too.

intuition Mar 6, 2018 1:51 pm

4 Attachment(s)
AY 91 (argh, difficult with new numbers) to CKG in nov.

Salmon & Herring starter. Un-inspirational salad. All on one tray.
Tray gets cleared and main with new set of cutlery is served "stand-alone" on table linen. Rice creatively served in tea-mug. All tasted good except salad and rice.

intuition Mar 6, 2018 1:59 pm

Combine consecutive posts of same member.

2 Attachment(s)
AY92 CKG-HEL Nov17.

I only got pic of starter.

The shreded ham and pepper salad (right side) was surprisingly good and well seasoned. Turned out to be the winner on the plate.
The side-salad was better than usually, but WHY do bell pepper in the salad too???? Pretty uninspired meal composition that way.

Am I allowed to top this of with the offerings of the brand new First class lounge of CKG T3? It is after all Finnair which pays for my raid of the hot buffet, and I think it is only fare to add it here as a part of the luxurious experience of international air-travel.

By the way, I sampled a piece of everything from the buffet!! Not sure what to recommend though. Perhaps the warm beer.

NoWindowSeat Mar 6, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 29493315)
am i allowed to top this of with the offerings of the brand new first class lounge of ckg t3? It is after all finnair which pays for my raid of the hot buffet, and i think it is only fare to add it here as a part of the luxurious experience of international air-travel.

By the way, i sampled a piece of everything from the buffet!! Not sure what to recommend though. Perhaps the warm beer.

😂😂

nyc10036 Mar 7, 2018 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Cupart (Post 29467910)

There seem to be mixed opinions/experiences here--so I thought I'd mention that I was having the same issue for my JFK-HEL-JFK trip next week. In case it matters, I'm OW Emerald flying paid J.

I have always been able to preorder my meals online (and secure the reindeer main out of HEL), so I gave it a few days, thinking that it was a quick system glitch. But it wasn't fixed as of last night (Tue, 6 Mar 2018). I felt silly calling CS about meals, so I DM'ed @FinnAirHelps...which felt less silly. Happy to report that the rep was able to get me the "Chef's Gourmet" option out of HEL!

Cupart Mar 9, 2018 12:32 am

Originally Posted by nyc10036 (Post 29495560)
There seem to be mixed opinions/experiences here--so I thought I'd mention that I was having the same issue for my JFK-HEL-JFK trip next week. In case it matters, I'm OW Emerald flying paid J.

I have always been able to preorder my meals online (and secure the reindeer main out of HEL), so I gave it a few days, thinking that it was a quick system glitch. But it wasn't fixed as of last night (Tue, 6 Mar 2018). I felt silly calling CS about meals, so I DM'ed @FinnAirHelps...which felt less silly. Happy to report that the rep was able to get me the "Chef's Gourmet" option out of HEL!

Thanks for the reply nyc10036 Still amazing that the problem is not fixed tbh but just allocated through a phone call.

I'm against calling someone when an online option exists to have something fixed quickly there and then. AY's online services (Website build, functions etc) are so poor that it hurts... Does it help to complain? Erh, no, not really...

My next BKK flight is at mid-night so I don't care about the meal service but I do care about the missing "premium" online J offerings which are "part" of the over all experience...

What a Mickey Mouse setup :td:

Cupart Mar 9, 2018 1:08 am

So... I finally got through on the chat function (which in itself is a winner):

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e646c9fe41.jpg

Well, OK then...

After a while I go a confirmation that the meals had indeed been added to the PNR which in fact were correct ^

Then the chat continued:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e943bbc6e9.jpg

But I just told you that it isn't a special occasion (didn't take a screenshot of it but trust me as it was a question the person answered "Nice" to as you can see).

I asked why on earth I would buy champagne and chocolates as

1) Champagne is part of the drink options both in SH and LH J, and
2) I live in Switzerland (for the chocolate part question)?

Decided enough of company time had been wasted so I ended the conversation...

PS. I made it clear that the person dealing with me was not at fault and that I found the whole web experience a joke...

tinkicker Mar 12, 2018 1:23 am

Well I booked my optional meal of "overcooked reindeer" on online chat this morning. no dramas, took a couple of minutes waiting for the agent but that's all.

FFlash Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Good reminder, I always wanted to taste that Rudolfs knuckle pan. I order it for my next

tinkicker Mar 13, 2018 11:45 am

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a150a60354.jpg

A surprisingly nice Turnip and Goats / Blue cheese thing on the HEL-HKG. And I say this as someone who does not generally like goats cheese.

DALtoAAL Mar 17, 2018 11:55 am

Well, well, it's been about 1,5 years since my last Finnair long-haul business class flight before last night's AY151 and what can I say...color me impressed! The whole service concept was different, no more trolleys on the aisle as everything was hand delivered from the galley according to your meal order asked by flight attendant. Other than that the service was very Finnairsque, not the warmest but pretty effective. And I also have to say that I was also pretty impressed about the quality of the food. The signature meny by Tommy Myllymäki felt fresh and simple with some decent options. I especially liked the non-omelette option for breakfast. About the wines...sorry guys, I stick only to diet coke and water on this flight, how boring was that?!. Considering this was on a "lomanoloinen lento" I have to say it was surprisingly good experience. Three ^^^

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...970c227f05.jpg

Amuse bouche, Vendace roe with tarragon creme fraiche, lemon and Åby rye cracker
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8c6eaa3f66.jpg

Starter, gravlax with cucumber, coleslaw salad with horseradish, Main course, cod with parsnip, onions, potatoes and anchovies
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1c5f0d4c3b.jpg

Dessert, cheeses Peltolan blue and Viinitarhuri
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d4170c3a1c.jpg

Breakfast, bagel with cold smoked salmon

heatsink Mar 18, 2018 3:02 am

I've had the horseradish coleslaw gravlax too. It's absolutely amazing. I'm going to try making it at home.

ffay005 Mar 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Sort of off-topic and then again not: I just read this review of a LX longhaul J flight: Review: Swiss Business Class 777 San Francisco To Zurich - One Mile at a Time

Strikingly similar to AY, and here I was imagining that LX was some kind of a high-quality airline. I suppose I should have known better, after all they're a mere subsidiary of LH nowadays :(

Perhaps AY's tightwad concept isn't that unusual among European airlines after all.