Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

"I" or "P" Train to/from Airport to Downtown Helsinki?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Have a long enough layover coming up in HEL that I can make it downtown to meet some friends for lunch. Seems like the best option is to take a train (quick enough, frequent enough, good value), but of course they have 2 train options (I or P)..

Is there any difference other than the in between stops to worry about? One closer to departures and security than the other on the return?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Have a long enough layover coming up in HEL that I can make it downtown to meet some friends for lunch. Seems like the best option is to take a train (quick enough, frequent enough, good value), but of course they have 2 train options (I or P)..

Is there any difference other than the in between stops to worry about? One closer to departures and security than the other on the return?
It is a loop where P runs clockwise and I counter-clockwise. Both terminate in the main railway station. P is perhaps some minutes faster, but when going to the city, I'd take the first train arriving. Same platform, just different side of it at the airport.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Whichever train comes first, in either direction
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
It is a loop where P runs clockwise and I counter-clockwise. Both terminate in the main railway station. P is perhaps some minutes faster, but when going to the city, I'd take the first train arriving. Same platform, just different side of it at the airport.
Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thanks for the info!
Just make sure you buy your ticket from the machine first no ticket sales onboard anymore
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kauppias
Just make sure you buy your ticket from the machine first no ticket sales onboard anymore
Yeah, I read that, but thanks never the less!

https://www.finavia.fi/en/helsinki-a...ses-and-taxis/
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I'd take the Finnair City Bus. The bus ride takes maybe a few minutes longer but there is less walking at the airport, especially if leaving from T2.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Hartsa
I'd take the Finnair City Bus. The bus ride takes maybe a few minutes longer but there is less walking at the airport, especially if leaving from T2.
+1. And you can pay with Amex to get points.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by remymartin
+1. And you can pay with Amex to get points.
That settles it then . Btw. how many points? 6?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If you arrive at the station the timetables are such that even the longer route is quicker than waiting for next, so just take the first one.

But if you plan ahead, and you are familiar with swedish prepositions, this mnemonic can be used to remember which one is shortest route:
If you are "i stan" take I train. If you are "på flygplatsen" take P train.
manywhere likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Oct 21, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
And also: Finally HSL app (mobiililippu) works decently for foreigners as you now can attach foreign credit card to app and buy ticket on the go.

But beware if using this app - purchased ticket still requires internet connection throughout your trip. If you don't have internet ticket is not valid and you'll get a fine. HSL have promised to fix this within a year or so...
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
And also: Finally HSL app (mobiililippu) works decently for foreigners as you now can attach foreign credit card to app and buy ticket on the go.

But beware if using this app - purchased ticket still requires internet connection throughout your trip. If you don't have internet ticket is not valid and you'll get a fine. HSL have promised to fix this within a year or so...
No Wi-Fi on the train?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
No Wi-Fi on the train?
Oh important detail. Finnair bus has WiFi. Amex points for a local plat card would be 10/one way
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Oh important detail. Finnair bus has WiFi. Amex points for a local plat card would be 10/one way
All good, I agree, though I'm an AA EXP (OWE) from the US, so..
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
No Wi-Fi on the train?
No. The experience is pretty similar to taking the BART from SFO, only that the trains in Helsinki are quite new.

If you want to buy your ticket with Amex for the points, you can do it at the Alepa grocery store at the airport (on the arrivals floor in front of baggage claim 2B)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.