FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   "I" or "P" Train to/from Airport to Downtown Helsinki? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1873191-i-p-train-airport-downtown-helsinki.html)

teemuflyer Oct 21, 2017 7:36 am

"I" or "P" Train to/from Airport to Downtown Helsinki?

Have a long enough layover coming up in HEL that I can make it downtown to meet some friends for lunch. Seems like the best option is to take a train (quick enough, frequent enough, good value), but of course they have 2 train options (I or P)..:rolleyes:

Is there any difference other than the in between stops to worry about? One closer to departures and security than the other on the return?

Purjelentaja Oct 21, 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 28959050)
Have a long enough layover coming up in HEL that I can make it downtown to meet some friends for lunch. Seems like the best option is to take a train (quick enough, frequent enough, good value), but of course they have 2 train options (I or P)..:rolleyes:

Is there any difference other than the in between stops to worry about? One closer to departures and security than the other on the return?

It is a loop where P runs clockwise and I counter-clockwise. Both terminate in the main railway station. P is perhaps some minutes faster, but when going to the city, I'd take the first train arriving. Same platform, just different side of it at the airport.

ajeleonard Oct 21, 2017 7:50 am

Whichever train comes first, in either direction

teemuflyer Oct 21, 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja (Post 28959061)
It is a loop where P runs clockwise and I counter-clockwise. Both terminate in the main railway station. P is perhaps some minutes faster, but when going to the city, I'd take the first train arriving. Same platform, just different side of it at the airport.

Thanks for the info!

kauppias Oct 21, 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 28959089)
Thanks for the info!

Just make sure you buy your ticket from the machine first :) no ticket sales onboard anymore :)

teemuflyer Oct 21, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 28959096)
Just make sure you buy your ticket from the machine first :) no ticket sales onboard anymore :)

Yeah, I read that, but thanks never the less!

https://www.finavia.fi/en/helsinki-a...ses-and-taxis/

Hartsa Oct 21, 2017 9:24 am

I'd take the Finnair City Bus. The bus ride takes maybe a few minutes longer but there is less walking at the airport, especially if leaving from T2.

remymartin Oct 21, 2017 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Hartsa (Post 28959343)
I'd take the Finnair City Bus. The bus ride takes maybe a few minutes longer but there is less walking at the airport, especially if leaving from T2.

+1. And you can pay with Amex to get points.

tsastor Oct 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 28959705)
+1. And you can pay with Amex to get points.

That settles it then :D. Btw. how many points? 6?

intuition Oct 21, 2017 2:27 pm

If you arrive at the station the timetables are such that even the longer route is quicker than waiting for next, so just take the first one.

But if you plan ahead, and you are familiar with swedish prepositions, this mnemonic can be used to remember which one is shortest route:
If you are "i stan" take I train. If you are "på flygplatsen" take P train.

intuition Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm

And also: Finally HSL app (mobiililippu) works decently for foreigners as you now can attach foreign credit card to app and buy ticket on the go.

But beware if using this app - purchased ticket still requires internet connection throughout your trip. If you don't have internet ticket is not valid and you'll get a fine. HSL have promised to fix this within a year or so...

teemuflyer Oct 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 28960193)
And also: Finally HSL app (mobiililippu) works decently for foreigners as you now can attach foreign credit card to app and buy ticket on the go.

But beware if using this app - purchased ticket still requires internet connection throughout your trip. If you don't have internet ticket is not valid and you'll get a fine. HSL have promised to fix this within a year or so...

No Wi-Fi on the train?

remymartin Oct 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 28960339)
No Wi-Fi on the train?

Oh important detail. Finnair bus has WiFi. Amex points for a local plat card would be 10/one way;)

teemuflyer Oct 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin (Post 28960547)
Oh important detail. Finnair bus has WiFi. Amex points for a local plat card would be 10/one way;)

All good, I agree, though I'm an AA EXP (OWE) from the US, so.. :p

r2d2 Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 28960339)
No Wi-Fi on the train?

No. The experience is pretty similar to taking the BART from SFO, only that the trains in Helsinki are quite new.

If you want to buy your ticket with Amex for the points, you can do it at the Alepa grocery store at the airport (on the arrivals floor in front of baggage claim 2B) :D