Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
This is true. The non-Finnish crews are on SIN and HKG only. Other Asian destinations have a crew that's mostly Finnish, with some Asian crew members.

Oh, and flying from Japan recently, I had an FA who was Fenno-Japanese and, obviously, fluent in both languages.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Actually Finnish language is not required on any of AY routes anymore. In France this would cause riots

https://finnair.wd3.myworkdayjobs.co...mber_R191513-5

"Fluency in English is required, fluency in Finnish is highly valued and other language skills are considered an asset"
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
There was a time when AY FAs were required to be fluent in Finnish, Swedish, English and a fourth language of choice.

But that was a time where people still studied languages at school. Nowadays everyone learns English, everyone studies Swedish but nodoby learns it, and hardly anyone puts time and effort in really learning anything else, apart from a course or two of Spanish in high school. Sad.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Kind of interesting from safety point of view that cabin crew does not know a word in Finnish.
ffay005 and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
1st flight: MIA-HEL-ARN.
2nd flight (different ticket, same plane turnaround): ARN-MIA.

If I preorder a bottle of domppa to my first flight, will I have a problem with the booze in stockholm or will I be able to get it with me to Helsinki? Hand baggage only.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by kanamurva

If I preorder a bottle of domppa to my first flight, will I have a problem with the booze in stockholm or will I be able to get it with me to Helsinki? Hand baggage only.
No problem, you won't pass security at HEL or ARN and even if you do, bottle is delivered on tamper proof Finnair bag you can take trough security.
kanamurva likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by kanamurva
What do you mean? Are you returning to MIA after coming from there, or did you intend to write that you are going back to HEL? There are no direct ARN-MIA flights.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Back to helsinki of course. Sorry for that. And thanks for the info! Dom perignon with -20% preorder and voucher costs ~91€. Never tasted but thought I would give it a try.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:23 pm

Are TF's earning rates on AY accurate? It looks as if expensive fare buckets earn more than cheap fare buckets, which makes no sense to me. The most useful thing is that fare buckets X and U apparently are supposed to earn points if you credit to TF.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Indeed the mapping of booking codes make no sense. Like B earns more than Y... Maybe the booking code are for TF marketing codes on AY flights?

But if you have an outstanding X or U booking, you can always try
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
As we know, one-way awards cost more than 50% of the respective return award points. E.g. intercon Y is 55k oneway, but only 90k return.

We also know that you cannot book open jaw award on the website, so probably many of us books oneway (I do - or I did until now!)

Checking the AY+ T&C, however, there's an interesting section (4.10) explicitly allowing open-jaw rewards and implicitly considers it a return ticket. I talked to a very knowing agent today, she confirmed, that they can do it and specifically confirmed that it's the price of a return award. So had I called in, our HEL-SIN//BKK-HEL trip would've costed only 90k points, instead of 2x55k - bummer. She said that to change it, she'd have to cancel the original bookings and issue new ones in one booking, but it's all subject current availability, which is, alas none. Instead of waitlisting I just swallowed the extra 20k/pax this time, but for the future, bear this in mind!
Revisiting this subject - I called the Plat line again and they could do the change (there was availability on the return leg, so that made it easy) What technically happens is that they add the return leg to the outbound booking, cancel the points charged for the original oneway bookings, refund the taxes/fees for the original bookings, charge the return trip's points and taxes/fees. So one phone call saved 40k points ^.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
The give-away gold card perk for AY plat. Can you choose to gift it anytime while your status is still valid? And presume it's valid for 1 year on a separate timeline i.e. does not follow tracking period of the gifting plat holder?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by mechu
The give-away gold card perk for AY plat. Can you choose to gift it anytime while your status is still valid? And presume it's valid for 1 year on a separate timeline i.e. does not follow tracking period of the gifting plat holder?
Yes, the give-away card always resets the tracking period of the recipient and the status is valid for 1 year. You can gift it anytime during your own tracking period (just don't give away on the 1st day of any month)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Finnair, Lufthansa
Hi guys I just joined this forum and I am looking forward to conversations with you!
As I have just bumped up into gold status I have a question regarding Status and upgrades:
My tracking period ends 31-Jul so I should be Gold Status now and as to the rules automatically gold status from 01-Aug-2019 - 31-Jul-2020; now I see in my status the 4 inner EU flights upgrade vouchers are only valid until 31-Jul-2019 does that mean:
  1. I get 4 vouchers now to use until the end of this tracking period and have automatically again 4 vouchers next tracking period?
  2. Every voucher I use this period now will be deducted from the next one?
  3. I have only 4 vouchers this period and none the next?
Many thanks
Nic
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by weida888
Hi guys I just joined this forum and I am looking forward to conversations with you!
As I have just bumped up into gold status I have a question regarding Status and upgrades:
My tracking period ends 31-Jul so I should be Gold Status now and as to the rules automatically gold status from 01-Aug-2019 - 31-Jul-2020; now I see in my status the 4 inner EU flights upgrade vouchers are only valid until 31-Jul-2019 does that mean:
  1. I get 4 vouchers now to use until the end of this tracking period and have automatically again 4 vouchers next tracking period?
  2. Every voucher I use this period now will be deducted from the next one?
  3. I have only 4 vouchers this period and none the next?
Many thanks
Nic
Number 1. Welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.