Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Is there any meal service in J on Finnair flight HEL-MUC operated by Norra?
Old May 11, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yes. One tray hot meal with a starter and a dessert. Or a hot breakfast with cold cuts and youghurt. No options. You can preorder a special meal, though.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I booked an Economy Flex return ticket. It says " CANCELLATION (BEFORE / AFTER DEPARTURE) Yes"

Does that mean I can cancel for a full refund? Or do they still charge some admin fee? How long are refunds taking now days?
Old May 25, 2021, 3:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
There usually is a handling fee for refund on a flexible ticket, but someone with more recent experience will know better than me.

As for speed of refund, I had a cancelled/rebooked flight I decided not to accept two weeks ago. I got refund notice the same day as cancellation and money registered on the card 4 days later.
The key to fast refund is to have a ticket bought from Finnair directly. (in the beginning of the crisis, status played a roll too, but not sure it does now)
Old May 25, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I booked an Economy Flex return ticket. It says " CANCELLATION (BEFORE / AFTER DEPARTURE) Yes"

Does that mean I can cancel for a full refund? Or do they still charge some admin fee? How long are refunds taking now days?
Flex ticket means cancellation is possible without any admin fees. A month ago I cancelled a flex ticket 1 day before departure and had full refund on my card the next day.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thank you.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Travelling internationally (to Spain) from HEL this week. I'm going to get a covid test via Omaolo today. Do they provide sufficient documentation around the result? This is a free test.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by finlandbased
Travelling internationally (to Spain) from HEL this week. I'm going to get a covid test via Omaolo today. Do they provide sufficient documentation around the result? This is a free test.
If you live in the HUS area, after you get your SMS (typically early next morning after the test), you can download a certificate at koronatietoni.fi. The certificate will work for entry into Spain.

If you intend to take the 24 € antigen test at AGP on your way back, make sure to book early, like a couple of weeks before, as they are very busy.
finlandbased likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:02 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
As two very optimistic Covid-vaccinated but plain AY platinums, I and spouse booked an overwater villa from Conrad Maldives for next November-December. We decided to try Qatar for the reasonable travel times they offer, business class (but regrettably no first class available and settled for poor man's I in QR for about 6 keur). However, which lounges in Hamad? Onwards on 787+777 and return on 777+350 up to ARN and then whateva with AY to HEL. Conrad Bora Bora would have taken almost two days each way and AF flights via LAX...
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by TTL
As two very optimistic Covid-vaccinated but plain AY platinums, I and spouse booked an overwater villa from Conrad Maldives for next November-December. We decided to try Qatar for the reasonable travel times they offer, business class (but regrettably no first class available and settled for poor man's I in QR for about 6 keur). However, which lounges in Hamad? Onwards on 787+777 and return on 777+350 up to ARN and then whateva with AY to HEL. Conrad Bora Bora would have taken almost two days each way and AF flights via LAX...
Sounds like my plan too as soon as we get the second shot…
here’s hoping 😎
TTL likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTL
Congratulations on your trip.

Re DOH: Currently OWE is kindly directed to the Al Mourjan even if they fly in economy or R. R is QR's stripped Business fare which in non-pandemic times does not entitle you to the Al Mourjan. It is unclear when this policy will come to an end; i.e. when the substitute OWE 'First lounges' will open. It's a fantastic lounge even during the pandemic, and QR's service in the premium cabin, QSuites or not, is one of the best products in the world. I wish AY could clearly stand out and win passengers over in these kind of terms too, and not just appealing to some short geographic route.
TTL likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by zxcv1
Congratulations on your trip.

Re DOH: Currently OWE is kindly directed to the Al Mourjan even if they fly in economy or R. R is QR's stripped Business fare which in non-pandemic times does not entitle you to the Al Mourjan. It is unclear when this policy will come to an end; i.e. when the substitute OWE 'First lounges' will open. It's a fantastic lounge even during the pandemic, and QR's service in the premium cabin, QSuites or not, is one of the best products in the world. I wish AY could clearly stand out and win passengers over in these kind of terms too, and not just appealing to some short geographic route.
I don't think that AY will ever even try to do something like QR. QR (along with other ME airlines) need to provide travellers with a solid reason to fly them, as they run a connection hub rather than straight flights from A to B. If QR didn't offer the level of service that they do then I don't think I'd ever choose to fly them over AY when e.g. flying HEL to BKK.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:54 am

Actually, HEL-BKK is an anomaly in the (pre-covid) AY network as one of the few point-to-point routes. You only need to look at a Finnair schedule from the 1990s to see what an AY without connecting pax would look like. The current (pre-covid) network is mostly based on the Asian strategy, where HEL acts as a connecting hub and AY offers shortest and most convenient connections between more or less strange city combinations, think STR-NGO etc.

With its European cost structure, AY will never be able to compete with Middle Eastern or Asian carriers as far as service is concerned, but I still feel that pre-covid AY service was, in fact, very good when you compare it with European and NA carriers.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Finnair A319 first row

My first World problem: is Finnair A319 business class seat 1F a good seat or should I go for 1A. In a morning flight 1A gets all the sun when flying out of Helsinki. 🤷‍♂️
SPBanker likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:54 am

I'm trying to figure out the same, but aisle, ie 1C or 1D. I don't remember if there's a difference in legroom.

Right now I'm booked in 1C for HEL-RHO and 10D for RHO-HEL. I don't want row 10 for HEL-RHO because at RHO, you walk from the plane to the terminal and I want to be among the first to clear immigration/whatever control they have there quickly. On the way back, though, it's going to be a bus ride anyway, so row 10 is better. Fairly in the middle, so no matter which door they use to deplane, you're always in the middle, not the last one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.