Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Any chance to get on an earlier flight (LHR-HEL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I have an upcoming flight to PVG. Any chance to get on an earlier flight on a standby basis (ticket is totally non flex so I doubt it but have to ask)? I am at LHR very early to meet someone so this will be useful but not essential.

A secondary question: I was offered an upgrade HEL-PVG for €300. This is a ridiculously good price (and bought it). Does this happen a lot or are they just enticing an emerald (first time on AY) to try their J?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
1. Haven't tried it myself, but my guess is 'absolutely no chance'.

2. It is part of a new program to offer upgrades for cash. We have a thread for it here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...de-offers.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I have an upcoming flight to PVG. Any chance to get on an earlier flight on a standby basis (ticket is totally non flex so I doubt it but have to ask)? I am at LHR very early to meet someone so this will be useful but not essential.

A secondary question: I was offered an upgrade HEL-PVG for €300. This is a ridiculously good price (and bought it). Does this happen a lot or are they just enticing an emerald (first time on AY) to try their J?
You will probably not get on an earlier flight. Doesn't hurt to ask though. Your PVG-flight might be oversold in economy, so the upgrade offer might just be a way to try to get some revenue from inevitable op-ups. I'm not aware of a campaign targeting first-time OW elites to try business (I actually think that most people have their expectations set higher that what the actual level of the product is).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
300€ is a good price - and this way you're going to sit in the front, not some random pax op-up'ed.

99,9% you won't get on the earlier flight, though - but as said, if you don't ask for it, it's 100%.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:21 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I was trying today to get to 16:10 flight today instead of 18:05 flight which appears to be delayed by one further hour.

But the guy at the ticketing desk was arrogant and incompetent. Did not understand the fare code, claimed not to be able to calculate the fare difference, and was in no way helpful. AY should pay more attention to who they hire at their outposts! Furthermore, the customer service number in UK did not answer, few beeps and then total silence.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
If the OP has status, they'll have the comfort of a choice of three different lounges in T3 to spend the day (six, if you're ExPlat and wish to try the business lounges as well as the First Class ones).
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I'll be flying CPH-HEL Xmas Eve this year, AY954 (1:15pm), if I show up early for morning flight, I presume they won't let me get on AY952 (8:55am). Again, it would be nice to get to Helsinki earlier but not necessary, this was the cushion against late SK arrival flight from US.

I thought this is an instance where having me getting on earlier flight would enable AY to accommodate last minute booking for any reason.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
1. It depends of the booking situation of your booked flight, if this one is oversold they will change your flight not matter what the fare rules say.

It happend to me that airlines try to force me to take the earlier flight, even if the tickets did not allow.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
I'll be flying CPH-HEL Xmas Eve this year, AY954 (1:15pm), if I show up early for morning flight, I presume they won't let me get on AY952 (8:55am). Again, it would be nice to get to Helsinki earlier but not necessary, this was the cushion against late SK arrival flight from US.

I thought this is an instance where having me getting on earlier flight would enable AY to accommodate last minute booking for any reason.
Is the CPH-HEL leg the first or the last leg of your AY booking. If it is the last one I would buy a new OW ticket, 644 DKK is not the end of the world on Christmas Eve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.