Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J -> Y Connection AY Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
J -> Y Connection AY Lounge Access

I have a question regarding the AY policy for lounge access for J class flights / tickets, when the regional connecting flight is Y-only.

Specifically, in the past I've come in on AY from JFK (in J), connecting to RIX (Y, as it's the ATR 72 aircraft so it only has Y aboard), and was denied AY lounge access both in the Schengen and non-Schengen area, as my boarding pass to RIX was in Y. At either lounge, they didn't care that it's a Y-only short puddle-jump route and said that only the outbound flight boarding pass matters, not the incoming flight one, and not the ticket being a J fare.

I have an upcoming flight coming in from SIN at 6:30am, leaving to RIX at 9:30am. In those three hours I definitely want to catch up on some work and also have a shower in the lounge. But, I am afraid as once again it's a situation where SIN-HEL is in J, but HEL-RIX is in Y (ATR-72), I may be denied AY lounge access.

What is the official policy of AY on this? Is it really that J class passengers do not get lounge access when connecting from a long-haul J to a short regional Y-only route/aircraft flight?

If the AY policy on this is really not to give J class pax lounge access after a long overnight long-haul flight when the connecting flight is Y-only, then it's good that I have Priority Pass, so I still can get access to one of the PP lounges at HEL. Is it true that the seemingly nicer Almost@Home lounge will not give access if the departing flight is a Schengen flight (even at 6:30am?)? How is the Aspire Lounge in the Schengen area? (It seems rather cheap in that there is a separate charge to use the shower facility. How much is is anyway?)

This really should be a non-issue with most other airlines, but with Finnair being rather...let's just say not very customer-centric in how it operates, unfortunately lounge access on this 3-hour J connection may be a problem, which is why I'm asking here. Thanks in advance for your insight in regards to the Finnair policy on this and suggestions.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I asked AY a few months ago and they answered that you get lounge access in this case.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
It is also a publicly documented oneworld policy, that if you are flying oneworld - oneworld connection, the first flight being an international long-haul (i.e. at least 5 hours) on J or F and the connecting flight is a domestic or international short-haul in Y, on the same day, you get lounge access, based on your long-haul flight.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I asked AY a few months ago and they answered that you get lounge access in this case.
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
It is also a publicly documented oneworld policy, that if you are flying oneworld - oneworld connection, the first flight being an international long-haul (i.e. at least 5 hours) on J or F and the connecting flight is a domestic or international short-haul in Y, on the same day, you get lounge access, based on your long-haul flight.
Thanks! That is good to know. That is how I thought it should be. So the other time both the AY lounge agents and the transfer desk whom I also asked were wrong. At the Schengen lounge they even called "supervisor" and asked (after I insisted that they do, as I thought that they were wrong), and were also told that no lounge access for int'l J long-haul customer when connecting to a Y-only regional flight the same day. Wow, so last time 4 times everyone at AY was wrong. But that is what I expected. Typical AY to err against the favor/interest of the customer..

Is there anywhere where this policy is documented (ideally AY, but failing that OW) that I can print out and bring with me, in case they try to deny me access again this time?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: QF
<https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access>

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sstanleyau
<https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access>
Thanks! Hopefully it counts based on the arrival vs. departure day, as the SIN-HEL flight departs at 23:35, arrives at 6:35 +1 day...which would take it after "6am the following day" if it's based on the departure date, for the HEL lounge access during the 3h layover there.

I will be sure to print this out and bring this with me though. Thanks again!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:48 pm

Official Finnair policy allows this: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/inform...rt/lounge-list

Lounge access is free of charge for:

Customer traveling on oneworld intercontinental flight in Business Class and connecting to/from oneworld short-haul Economy Class flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.