Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Mobile phone 'app'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by juhanh
Yep everything will show up, if it is Amadeus and has your AY+ number. I've had QF, QR, BA, CX and MH bookings and mixes of those all showing up in the app. Even JQ flights if they were on bookings that cointained OW filights. And AA flights if they had QF segments.
This is my experience too in the past.

But suddenly I recalled the problems now defunct MyFlightsApp encountered. Amadeus changed their operating model this year IIUC. MyFlightsApp was told "you are not allowed to access reservations through Amadeus unless you make separate agreement with each and every airline". The same should apply for Finnair app and thus restrict their access to AY coded reservations only. (but maybe there are bilateral agreements within the OW construct already?)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Guillou
I have noticed the same about the app - quite annoying. Although even more annoying that I just logged out to refresh and now the whole log in section from the app has disappeared with no possibility to log back in..
Uninstall, reinstall should work
Old May 14, 2018, 7:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Classic app moment. You leave the lounge when boarding starts, arrive at the gate, app says "Gate closing". But IRL plane is delayed an no boarding for at least 20 more minutes. Why can't they make this work?
Attached Images   
Old May 14, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Classic app moment. You leave the lounge when boarding starts, arrive at the gate, app says "Gate closing". But IRL plane is delayed an no boarding for at least 20 more minutes. Why can't they make this work?
Yep, why can't they 't make it work real time and syncronize it with airport data. In this case HEL airport app works much better but even that isn't very reliable or user friendly, either! Finnair app is saying Gate closing, and at that time Finavia app doesn't even say Go to gate, it appears only one minute later. Of course the plane was not even close to boarding, yet, but departed almost half an hour late.

Old May 14, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others

What can I say...
FlyingFinn and Steve_Hun like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Trav1970

What can I say...
LOL!
Maybe they detected that you are a really slow walker!
Old May 15, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
The passbook bp now shows up on the iPhone lock screen - this is a nice improvement. Not sure if this is only if the bp is uploaded from the app, haven't used the sms option for a while.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

They seem to have fixed the date / location issue. (Developer must store a date and a location in a specific part of the coupon in order for ios application to activate it based on phones location and current time. )

I don't know if the location part is there, but I can see that Finnair mobile boarding passes now are sorted by date in the app, which means the date part certainly is there now.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Yep, why can't they 't make it work real time and syncronize it with airport data. In this case HEL airport app works much better but even that isn't very reliable or user friendly, either! Finnair app is saying Gate closing, and at that time Finavia app doesn't even say Go to gate, it appears only one minute later. Of course the plane was not even close to boarding, yet, but departed almost half an hour late.

I have actually deleted the Finavia app since it was so unreliable (and full of take-over ads)

But I saw something at the gate that may explain the result in Finnair app. It seemed like the staff closed the gate in order to update the delay information. The gate screen went from "Delay - estimated 17:05" back to normal display (with the normal ontime data). Then they opened the gate again, getting the display to update into "Delayed - estimated 17:15".

If that is what happened, maybe the Finnair captures that action ("closing") and displays it in the app. But then developer assumed that there is a specific order (Gate is 1.Open, 2. Boarding, 3. Final call/closing 4. Closed) so as soon as it reached state "Closing" there is no usecase for it to return to an "lower" status.

I noticed that the Finnair app did display the new estimated time, with the original time with strike-through. Visible both in my screen dump and Trav1970's.
So it seems times get updated but they cannot detect the correct status which makes the suggested actions ("Go to gate") totally out-of-order.

I call this developer style "proxy-triggering". I've seen it before. When a developers can't (easily) get hold of the information needed, they select a similar data item which in their minds is equivalent, test only for the easy cases and then that's good enough and goes into production.
FinnairDaan likes this.

Last edited by intuition; May 15, 2018 at 5:42 am
Old May 16, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
The AY app on Android stopped updating for me, so I logged out and wanted to log back in. Well... Now I have an app that crashes every single time when I want to start typing in my credentials. Have already tried reinstalling it, but did not seem to help.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
I’m having the update problems also on iOS. Now for second day
Old May 18, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
I have been unable to login for two days on my Android. Anyone else having these issues?

The app seemed to have kicked me out before this, while it's normally always logged in.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by SuloL
I have been unable to login for two days on my Android. Anyone else having these issues?

The app seemed to have kicked me out before this, while it's normally always logged in.
As it was not updating my points, I logged out, and since then I'm not able to log back in (~3 days by now), as the app crashes as soon as I tap into either of the entry fields (user name / password).
Old May 18, 2018, 2:41 pm

AY auto check in!?

Happend to me for the second time.
I received a SMS where it says I have checked in for the upcoming flight.
When I open the app the boarding card is there.
But I have not done the check in myself!!? No problems if they are doing auto checkin if everything goes according to plan. If not I guess it is more complicated to undo the check in.
​​​​​Is this normal? AY doing the check in for you??
Old May 18, 2018, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
​​​​​Is this normal? AY doing the check in for you??
Yes. There is aan opt-out that must be done for each and every reservation if one does not want it. Otherwise, if they know your mobile number, they'll check you in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.